< 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 14 >

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Like right now ( @ OP )

I have seen a couple of people (Existential) that I would love to do stuff like that with.

On the other side of the same coin, I have gotten people gasping over my own avatar at times.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Yorugami
I get some nice item combinations from others
but I've never gone so much as to copy an entire avatar. XDDDD
That's just weird. I like my own combinations too much.
Although purple still frustrates me.

I kind of don't get why some people would even want to copy someone.
Aren't they happy with themselves?

@ emboldened: It's not so much "being someone" or like them.

It is more like emulating them based on admiration. That is always my own reason for wanting to do it. I never attempt it though. I like doing my own artistic thing.

Ruthless Shapeshifter

Nyadriel
Yorugami

It is more like emulating them based on admiration. That is always my own reason for wanting to do it. I never attempt it though. I like doing my own artistic thing.

I get why you copy this and that from them in admiration.
But to copy them in everything from head to toe.
That's a whole lot of other issues right there. XD

Sparkly Fairy

When people have awesome avs with matching siggy arts. *wants* I find its really nice to have really cool art to go with your avs. Meanwhile, mine is... well... old. Years and years old.

But I try mainly to do my own thing. Used to have a post style years ago but after a few comps later I just havent been bothered to set it up again. /lazy

Same with my avs. Just kinda do my own thing. Sometimes I'll see something really nice on another av which makes me think of a different use for an item that I might not have though of.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Yorugami
Nyadriel
Yorugami

Not when it comes to Art. Think about it.

Ruthless Shapeshifter

Nyadriel
Yorugami
Nyadriel
Yorugami

That's just called fanart. XD
But I doubt you'd copy the artist themselves.

-Keesune-'s Significant Otter

Dapper Stalker

There have been tons of times where I have been browsing the forums and have seen an avatar that looks simply amazing. Rather than wanting to be like them though, I tend to just admire and think 'Ghads I wish I had thought of that item/ colour combination'. Maybe sometimes I'll think 'I wish I knew them well enough to talk to them properly without seeming like a rabid fan person after their fame'. sweatdrop

Occasionally though, I will see an avatar and try to copy the theme. Like if I see someone with a real-life type avatar, no wings/ demonic/ angelic something or others, and it has such a lovely homely or cute feel to it. Then I want to make a cutesy homely avatar like theirs, but not using the same items. I always end up with something completely different. OTL

"Is it bad to copy/try to copy someone else if you like what they're doing?"
I would say it depends on how well you know them and how far it goes. Like I have a friend and we'll both occasionally copy each other's avatars but with a different colour scheme. But we do it in fun and are both completely cool with it, more than anything it feels like a type of bonding I guess.

Taking inspiration from someone's avatar seems cool. If you just want to try out someone's avatar for a bit and you happen to have the items then I guess that isn't too bad (as long as you don't go bragging that you've come up with such a cool outfit). If you are constantly copying a user's avatar, every time they change it, to the point your avatars are almost identical, and you don't have their permission/ acknowledgement about it then I would say that is rather creepy and it should stop.

When should you know to stop copying/emulating
Definitely when they tell you to stop, provided you are actually copying the majority of their avatar and it's not a one off coincidence. Alternatively, when it seems like they are dropping hints about being uncomfortable about it or are avoiding you. I've never actually been on either side of this type of situation though so it;s hard to tell.

Angelic Lunatic

41,275 Points
  • Moonlight Valkyrie 500
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
I don't like to copy others' avatars for the sake of pixel envy, let alone trying to be them. Sometimes imitation may be a form of a compliment, but some might take your imitation as an insult to them. I'd rather just be myself than to mimic someone else all because of envying the other person. sweatdrop

Fashionable Genius

10,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Generous 100
-Have you ever liked a user's anything so much you copied them/tried to emulate their style?
Mmh copying their styles, no, but sometimes i found somes items or combinations i like and search for the items and that all, i don't use them for copying the others users.

-Is it bad to copy/try to copy someone else if you like what they're doing?
I don't think it's bad to copying, but i think it's better to do your own avis, you will have much proud when people say something good about it.

-When should you know to stop copying/emulating?
I never copying for the first time i'm on gaia, well i can't really answer to this question mad

Tiny Shapeshifter

Copy people for who they are? Never really cross my mind. I simply enjoy the fact that there are many creative users out there providing me something interesting to look at (whether it be avatar, opinion, art, story, etc), and I make things to satisfy myself (especially when it comes to avatar making). If people happen to enjoy my stuff, then that's great. People liking my stuff I make is better than people liking something I copy. Now, inspiration and appreciation's a different story since that falls under "sharing similar interest" territory.

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I never wanted to copy another user's avatar because I have my own style that I find appealing. I'm not a fan of the cute, frilly, kawaii lolita look, for which we have many items on this site. I like the nitty gritty post-apocalyptic look, so... it's rare I come across an avatar that looks anything at the last similar to mine. I also like to lay in heavily to browns and blacks, and occasionally orange--a pretty underused color.

If there was one thing I ever directly copied, it was a wig. If that even counts.: :/

Astounding Enchantress

There are a couple avis on here that I have a gaia crush on. I always go to their profiles and check out what they are wearing. A few times I've even changed the coloring of my avi to be like them because I thought it looked so good but I always try to make it something I like rather than just blindly copying because then I know it refects me too. I don't think it's bad since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it should stop when your avi becomes their avi, :3

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Yorugami
Nyadriel
Yorugami
Nyadriel
Yorugami

That's just called fanart. XD
But I doubt you'd copy the artist themselves.

You would be surprised how many people that would/do.

Sparkly Lunatic

If I am ever with a lack of ideas of what to do with my avatar I lurk around the AT to get ideas.
But I have never flat out copied someone else.
And I would not care if someone copied me.
I am super sexy after all.

Aged Fox

Have you ever liked a user's anything so much you copied them/tried to emulate their style?

No, I've never really cared about anybody enough to want to be them. I'm my own person with my own likes and dislikes. I've got my own signature look, (I mean who else can be a fox on stilts XP) That and I get bored with my avatar so frequently that it's forever changing.

Is it bad to copy/try to copy someone else if you like what they're doing?

I think to a degree its not bad if you pick out certain things that you like from their avatar and build yourself something new and original. But to copy them down to a tee...its a little creepy to me.

When should you know to stop copying/emulating?

When you've completely lost sight of the real you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff