Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Vote your answer for the blank. When judging a Gaian, I judge them based on their ____ first.

Username 0.14492753623188 14.5% [ 20 ]
Avatar 0.31884057971014 31.9% [ 44 ]
Posting Activity 0.34782608695652 34.8% [ 48 ]
Achievements 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Profile 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Other (feel free to tell us about your own answer in the topic) 0.18840579710145 18.8% [ 26 ]
Total Votes:[ 138 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Demonic Lover

I judge, I'm sure we all do, it's just human nature . 3.
In order of what I notice it usually goes avatar-username-post most of the time, but that's just me being interested in pretty avatars XD I of course care a hell of a lot more in what someone posts, I think it's a perfectly acceptable way to judge if someone else is likely to get along with you, like a previous poster said I'm not fond of the "random!!1" attitude (maybe it's my age...) so if I see someone posting stuff like:

laughs, throws rock at u!!1 AuA

...I'm not likely to approach them as I'm not likely to enjoy their company sweatdrop I don't look down on what people wear but I'm not gonna lie and say I don't just noticed I enjoy most of my friend's styles XD;;; there has to be something there lol

Shadowy Loiterer

What can the harvest hope for,

Depends on which part of the site I'm on, within forums it's usually done by how I interpret their behaviour within their typing, sure I know I will get it wrong sometimes,, but I'm only human.

If I fancy voting within the arenas then I base it on what they are trying to convey, especially the original avatar arena (there the heavy use of sets annoy me).

if not for the care of the Reaper Man?

A Prunny's King

Undead Labtech

71,825 Points
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
I don't judge people I meet online, what kind of stuck-up jerk would I have to be to think I could judge people I don't know? I guess if they give me a reason to judge them, like acting like a jerk or being nasty in some way I might start to form an opinion but I have no desire to start judging folks simply by their posts or their avatars, that just seems wrong.

Froggy's Waifu

Stalker

23,300 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
I don't even know if I'd be able to tell who buys their items and who doesn't anymore. There are so many cash items floating around and they are so easy to get with gold that anyone can have them these days. I think people still get judged for sets though. ninja

I suppose I do judge people when they're in starter clothes. Not necessarily "oh gross, n00b" but I do immediately assume they're new/a mule. For the most part, however, I judge people based on what they say in their posts and how they present themselves verbally.

And on a silly note, sometimes I like to put on all my really expensive items at once and I imagine people judging me and thinking I'm a douche or something. emotion_awesome I get bored easily.

Reveler

if your avatar stands out from everyone elses chances are I'll love it.
Especially if you have an awesome face.

If you use multiples of one item my response will really be case by case.
I mean sometimes you can't even tell and it works super well,
and sometimes it looks super lazy.
August Star Of Heaven
As someone who's heavily playing MMORPG's I just can't help but shake my head on this post cause it's horribly true there as well.

It's those L33T chat spammers that are 9/10 ruining my squad runs. I just cannot understand directions who talk like Tl-li5 in a bat of an eye and most squad runs are fast paced there and have little margin of error. Maybe I'm in an age bracket older than them but that does not excuse you from posting properly

Wow, that must have been horrible. They can talk like that while they're giving out orders? How can they do it so quickly?!

eek
jettisoned corpse
I try not to judge.

I do usually see people who throw on several very expensive items to be show offish; I know I'd feel like a show off if I was wearing more than one very hard to get expensive item.

All Cash Shop items don't bother me though because there are many in all price ranges and types.

What you wear or how you wear your items can be a reflection of your personality, but unless I see you actually acting like an elitist, or purposely ignoring certain people, than I have no real reason to think badly of someone.

Hmm, if Cash Shop items don't bother you as much, does that mean you consider RIG prizes and very old MCs to be expensive items?
Bronia
I always read a post before I look at an avatar or username (username is usually the last thing I see.) So I would bet that post content is where most of my judginess comes out. I mainly use avatars to recognize a user (or post styles if they have one), not to gage their personality. The only times I really have negative views on someone based on what they say, however, is if they write the same thing in every thread (to the point of spamming) or are generally trollish. That aside, most of my judgement on Gaia is in the form of 'judging' a tone of 'voice' or stance in a debate.

Yeah, it's important to have users who respect other people who hold views that may be different to theirs. 3nodding

Omnipresent Demigod

HDMI

~~~
On the forums I judge by how mature they are. Though I'm usually in towns and I judge first by what they are talking about, how they're talking, then by their avatar, then name. Although if it's a disgusting or stupid name I generally don't bother.
~~~

HDMI

Perky Demigod

gaia_crown
    ♥ aha , honestly i judge people by there avatar , and the way they speak..
    i can instantly tell if someone is new , by their post layout and yet again , how they speak.

actually i really don't know how i judge... ._.
    im lost
celestelle

gaia_crown
    ♥ aha , honestly i judge people by there avatar , and the way they speak..
    i can instantly tell if someone is new , by their post layout and yet again , how they speak.

actually i really don't know how i judge... ._.
    im lost

Sometimes it can happen so instinctively and instantaneously that it's hard to be aware of how it happens or what comes first. Totally understandable.

Alien Elder

27,440 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Candy Massacre 50
Enigmatic Conspiracy
August Star Of Heaven
As someone who's heavily playing MMORPG's I just can't help but shake my head on this post cause it's horribly true there as well.

It's those L33T chat spammers that are 9/10 ruining my squad runs. I just cannot understand directions who talk like Tl-li5 in a bat of an eye and most squad runs are fast paced there and have little margin of error. Maybe I'm in an age bracket older than them but that does not excuse you from posting properly

Wow, that must have been horrible. They can talk like that while they're giving out orders? How can they do it so quickly?!

eek

Idk how maybe it's 2nd nature already for them to talk like that. I usually don't run on random squads but when my regulars are not available, either I'm forced to make one or to hitch on one.

The moment someone says l-l3ll0 or hElLo in a squad I'm already bracing for a big headache. I mean I'd rather be accurate than fashionable.
August Star Of Heaven
Idk how maybe it's 2nd nature already for them to talk like that. I usually don't run on random squads but when my regulars are not available, either I'm forced to make one or to hitch on one.

The moment someone says l-l3ll0 or hElLo in a squad I'm already bracing for a big headache. I mean I'd rather be accurate than fashionable.

Now I'm wondering if there's actually a whole zOMG group out there that has all members talking like that. Imagine if you actually bumped into one. It'd be like being in a very odd dream. lol

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I always judge based on how people post.

It isn't even necessarily grammar that I look at, though it sure does bump up my opinion of someone if they at least take the time to punctuate properly. What I really look for is how well (or poorly) people respond to others in both normal conversation and/or debate. If you're able to handle debate without getting personal, rude, or nasty, I'm generally sure you'd be someone with whom I can get along fairly well. I've seen people with "rich" avatars have absolutely zero class or understanding on how things work on the website and people with "poor" avatars have great understanding on how the website works and hold intelligent and respectful conversations. Wealth, or lack thereof, does not equate one's level of class.

I can never judge based on avatar. You can't know a person's experience or wealth based on the avatar. I can sometimes wear an outfit that costs less than 5k gold total and be totally happy with that, and another day I can wear several items worth millions. Maybe someone is cosplaying, or dressing as an RP character, or even participating in a guild event (like I am right now). I treat and speak to everyone the same exact way no matter what I'm wearing, and I'd expect others to do the same for me and other users. Someone's attitude and how well they conduct themselves is always more important to me than someone's username or what items they're wearing.

Tipsy Reindeer

I suppose in a previous thread very similar to this one a few days ago, I may have misspoke when I said I don't judge people's avatars, and rather judge only their posts instead. What I meant was that; while I do judge avatars but I don't judge people ON/BY their avatar. I will often look at an avatar and go "awesome!" or "Bleh..." But I don't use it as a basis as judging that person's character.

That aside... I like to say I come from the Avatar Arena. I spent many a year there, and a lot of my biases come from my time spent there. I have a bias against the use of sets (or multiples of the same multipose item as some cases may be), it appears lazy to me. In the arena this is considered uncreative and boring, and that you put no thought into the avatar because the artist did the work for you. In the forums however... I'll probably not notice. I rarely own more than two copies of an item, because of this bias. There are a few others, but this one stands out the most. That is if I can even figure out if the avatar is even wearing a set to begin with, there's so many items out now I can hardly keep track of all of them and all of their poses.

As for expensive items, and the cash shop. There was a time where if you wore all DI's or had multiple DI's on an avatar you were considered rich (and I guess to some people, cool). But since the cash shop, it's been near impossible to tell. I don't have a problem with users wearing cash items (that is items that could be bought with cash), and I wear them all the time. Actually 90-95% of my avatars are made up from items that could be obtained through cash means. I'm not bothered because I think the judging of the "noobs in rich clothes" line of hate for the cash shop is utterly ridiculous. All items are available (or have the possibility to be) on the Marketplace for gold, or even the Exchange. One does not have to get these cash items solely from the Cash Shop, and I think some users forget that fact. Does this mean that someone bought the item with real money? Sure. But that doesn't mean the person wearing the item was the one to do so. A vast majority of the "cash" items I own were actually purchased from the marketplace.

But in general, I don't judge the person by the avatar. I judge by their post. As I said in the other thread, you can have a completely awesome avatar and still be a total d**k.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff