Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Vote your answer for the blank. When judging a Gaian, I judge them based on their ____ first.

Username 0.14492753623188 14.5% [ 20 ]
Avatar 0.31884057971014 31.9% [ 44 ]
Posting Activity 0.34782608695652 34.8% [ 48 ]
Achievements 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Profile 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Other (feel free to tell us about your own answer in the topic) 0.18840579710145 18.8% [ 26 ]
Total Votes:[ 138 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Existential Existence
There are so many items on gaia that if someone used two poses from the same item i probably wouldn't even know cool
oh yeahhh

as i age farther away from gaia's demographic everyone in my mind tends to get clumped into one special section if i don't know who they are or i go outside of the GCD, regardless of what their avatar wears: teenagers

You commented on my profile back in 2010! Hello~ It's good to see you again!

True! Some of the items on Gaia are so tiny, they just get buried so easily.If I did wear shoes with an item like the dress in Juno's Lace, and I happened to be wearing another item that came from the same item with the shoes, no one would notice.

pirate
Heiros
I remember how people judged on that... But there's a difference between back then and now when people really judged others harshly for wearing sets and cash items I believe (which mostly consisted of DI's/MCs). I think the reason those that got judged negatively for wearing a bunch of cash items as "showing off", was because they cluttered their avatars with nothing but cash items to where it really did just look like a cluttered mess with no design. Hence them being thought of as just simply "showing off" and lazy. Sets possibly looked down upon cause it was easy to tell if someone was wearing a set cause we were so limited in item sets still to be able to spot it and see so much of the same sets used again and again.

But these days, it's hard to come by any avatar that isn't wearing at least ONE cash item. It's become so common that no one thinks anything of it, so I don't think it's an issue people take with now compared to back then that someone is just "showing off" with wearing a bunch of cash items. Especially when we have so much more variety and options in cash items over regular gold items (and better designs/artwork on them too). They've become more of a norm to use than gold shop items I believe. Also, since there are so many cash items and sets available (and a number of cash items looking very similar to one another), it's hard to tell if someone is actually wearing more than one of a set, or even commonly see the same sets used over and over again anyways that it doesn't easily register to people to even think of it or get irked by it even (you'd have to be pretty obsessed to know every single item and set well by memory on this site now I think).

As for if I judge a persons avatar based on what they wear... no, can't say that I do. But I will say that the general expression and look of an avatar may affect how I may read their "voice" (how they sound in my head) in what they post.

Oh gosh, your post has everything I'm looking for in this topic! Thank you!

Yeah, the sheer amount of items available on this site just makes differences increasingly hard to post. So true!

Heh, my friend likes imagining the voices of manga characters while she reads manga as well.

wink

Enduring Seeker

13,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Fortuitous Finder 100
"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Having said that, we all do it. The question is, do you stick to your initial first impression, or do you constantly re-evaluate your opinion of a person?

I think a persons avi/username can initially tell you a little of what they are about, but I base most of my opinions on what they say, or how they act.

Undead Enchantress

I like people for their brrrraaaaaiiiinnnsssss. emotion_zombie

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100
User Image

I'm not going to lie, on a site like Gaia, first impressions like how someone dresses their avatar and the way that they speak/write posts does make an impression on me. We don't have tone of voice or emotions really, so a lot of judgement of people is based on how they look. If someone is only wearing starter items, I'll think they're new to the site. If they have heaps of old DIs on, I'll think that they like to flaunt their material worth and so on.

In saying that, I'm more than happy to reconsider my opinion based on further interactions with people, and try not to discount what someone has to say based on what I already know of them as a user.

User Image

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Enigmatic Conspiracy
Existential Existence
There are so many items on gaia that if someone used two poses from the same item i probably wouldn't even know cool
oh yeahhh

as i age farther away from gaia's demographic everyone in my mind tends to get clumped into one special section if i don't know who they are or i go outside of the GCD, regardless of what their avatar wears: teenagers

You commented on my profile back in 2010! Hello~ It's good to see you again!

True! Some of the items on Gaia are so tiny, they just get buried so easily.If I did wear shoes with an item like the dress in Juno's Lace, and I happened to be wearing another item that came from the same item with the shoes, no one would notice.

pirate

why ello there!
*struggles with two screaming, ungrateful children who don't appreciate their father*
yeah i think nowadays it's harder to ID items so some people don't even bother anymore XD i mean, i don't. i probably couldn't name half the items random people have equipped anymore.

Sparkly Treasure

Enigmatic Conspiracy

I meant neither, actually. I was referring to people wearing a full set of a certain item (ex: pale marionette), and then acting as if they came up with some amazing outfit and character all on their own, thus claiming it as their original character/design. In reality, however, what they're doing is stealing an npc that one of the pixel artists on Gaia created.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
EH. I think it's shifting towards people who wear cash shop items are well respected citizens and those who use gold shop items are probably poor/bad at marketplacewhatever

People who use sets are still regarded poorly.

Gracious Prophet

17,925 Points
  • Sugar Plum Protector 200
  • Tundra Brawler 100
  • Battery 500
I judge all of you so hard. Haha just playin'.

Posting styles is what gets me, the way people "speak", the opinions they have. Not so much the avi's unless I see just the avi and nothing else.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

Linguistic capability is probably my biggest factor. Especially if English is not a user's first language and they still make helluva lot more sense than English-only speakers.

I'd like to think that (since this being a forum site initially) that a user's creativity in expressing him/her/it in words is a bigger factor on my approach in viewing said individual than anything else.

Of course, there's always avatars that capture my fascination with the ingenuity in their poses and use of items, but I categorize that more as admiring than judging. Seeing a ******** of rare/expensive items or someone who's all bout dem sets, it really doesn't...bother me? Is that the word? Basically it elicits "oh that's nice" reaction.
Heck yeah im showing off.
I worked hard for the mo.....the items.

Seriously though (Like im never serious or something) if it looks good I like it, sets and all. The reason to have a doll avatar is to doll it up, unless its on youtube or forms for discussion only.

Everything literally revolves around avatar dolls here on gaia so the first to judge is the avatar and then you can skim through the post. Well that is how I am because I love eye candy and combinations. Yeah sets can be tacky but at least its not another underwear avatar.
At least try ^^
I like themes

Of course I have no idea what items come from the cash shop. :/

Mega Bit

gcd vs avatar talk ? xd Considering the number of people who overlap between here and there, I'd say it makes no difference.

I think a well constructed avatar (by my own definitions, of course), is something that makes me want to look into the mind of the creator and figure out how they thought of those combos or what they were hoping for in the final product. Basically, I am fascinated by the process.
So when someone uses the same item 5 times, I find zero fascination in that because there is not much thinking going on behind it, except 'I reallyyyy like this item. A lot. So I wore it 5 times.' Other than that no judgement, but I definitely wouldn't bother viewing their equip list to pick their brains, because what is there for me to learn if it's a set?

Make whatever pixel creation that makes you happy, but that doesn't mean that everyone who sees it will love it as much as you. It also doesn't mean that everyone will judge you as a person for it, just your taste in pixels.

Pure-hearted Snowflake

25,690 Points
  • Team Devin 200
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
It use to matter to people and still does to some. People judge you based on your pixels which is crazy. What a person does and says should matter way more then how they look.

Sparkly Shounen

15,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Everyone judges on looks IRL (you're more likely to talk to someone who 'looks nice' than a crazy homeless guy with a machete).
The same happens on Gaia whether or not people are willing to admit it. That's not to say all avatar judging is based on wealth or how visually appealing the avatar is though. I often judge people with a rich/pretty avatar as "boring" or "timid" if they use popular items and look like everybody else. Part of me assumes (perhaps wrongly?) that these people are trying very hard to fit in and be popular and so what they say may just be regurgitated pleasing soundbites.

Of course I mainly judge people by what they say - it's the easiest way to figure out if someone is boring/stupid/horrible/annoying. To deny I judge by other criteria too would be a lie though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff