Welcome to Gaia! ::

How do I become a mod?

When I see someone ask this question, the most given answer is:

" By not asking for it..."

But is that a good thing?

Are police men selected by the chiefs of police who thought that a certain someone was doing a good job?

But that's not what this discussion is about... this discussion is about... The Gaian dream of becoming a mod.

I know many people who want to be a moderator ( you may be one, I know I am), and they have GOOD reason for such wanting...

The fame, the power, and the abbility to make a change in the forums ( working hard to get rid of spam).

But most people want to become a mod for reason number one... "Fame", and how can you blame them?

We're in a world of a million facless people, is it wrong to want to be unique? Hell no.
I for one, could not tell you which reason I would like to be a mod, because, I don't know...
I'm always going on about changing Gaia, or preaching how amazing Gaia is... But, if I were a mod
would I be able to make a thread labled "How do I become a mod?", nope... I wouldn't be able to make threads like
that any more... And THEN what would I post about.

What would you do if you recieved a PM from someone in a high position, asking YOU to be a mod...

I know you can quickly write "YES!", but I'm sure that when you read that PM, you'd have alot of thinking to do...

From that momment on, if you were a mod, you have to spend less time questing, posting, or whatever, because you
need to read PMs from people reporting large sigs. You could no longer be sure that the people you
met online would like you for who you are, or only if they like you because you were a mod.
People would make threads about how badly you were doing you job... "Job", but I thought you joined for free?

I know that I could never reject such an offer ( I'm selfish I quess), but I would have to first PM everyone I knew, thanking them for their friendship...
Knowing that from then on... I would work on cleaning the forums and helping Gaians.

So next time you hear someone ask:

"How do I become a mod?"

How about you answer them:

" By working hard, being prepaired to lose everything, you're friends, your posts, your quest... and by keeping hope"
Somebody's making an impact in GCD.

YAY. heart
Prettz3003
Somebody's making an impact in GCD.

YAY. heart
I hope...
I like your posts. Very thoughtful and honest when regarding your own feelings.
Damn Dominerd. You really are one of the few on these boards I respect. You continuously manage to make well-thought out posts and impress me by having the not-so-common common sense, as well as maturity. And from what I've read in the past, you haven't been here all that long, either.

Honestly, I'd say no to becoming a Mod. Not that it'd be offered to me, but I've been one on popular sites before. There's the power, yeah, but you can't ever freak out. You walk in a room and there's no more continual conversations, it's just people stopping and watching what they say. Nobody would really be themselves around you, aside from people that understand that Mods are average members with extra buttons and a different colored name.
Haffcoe
Damn Dominerd. You really are one of the few on these boards I respect. You continuously manage to make well-thought out posts and impress me by having the not-so-common common sense, as well as maturity. And from what I've read in the past, you haven't been here all that long, either.

Honestly, I'd say no to becoming a Mod. Not that it'd be offered to me, but I've been one on popular sites before. There's the power, yeah, but you can't ever freak out. You walk in a room and there's no more continual conversations, it's just people stopping and watching what they say. Nobody would really be themselves around you, aside from people that understand that Mods are average members with extra buttons and a different colored name.
It's nice hearing your opinion, and I agree on what you said about conversations. Moderators attract blabber speak, everyone goes from "Yes, the enviroment is very important..." to: " Omergodz, a modzie"
Haffcoe

very true. very true...

good point 3nodding

Gatekeeper

Actually, I want to be a mod, but I don't give a crap about fame.
I just want to help Gaia. 3nodding Sure, it would be nice to stand out among other users, but that woudn't even be a reason for me to want to be a mod.
If it costed actual friendship, I wouldn't care. I would still be able to trust my five real friends I gained before I became a mod. whee

Proxy Pieslinger

12,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
Its also a given the ones who want to be a mod for the right reasons other than popularity do not seek recognition by asking to be one however.

cat faced killa's Fangirl

Original Fatcat

10,775 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
I don't think I could handle the responsibility of being a mod....

I would like to experience being a GAIA Helper though.
Durr, well by not asking, LOZL!!!
But seriously, just help around.

Dapper Gekko

I wouldn't mind being a mod. But I don't go around asking to be one. I like to help people, and I know I could go through reports and such. But I don't know all the rules very well, and a mod needs to be able to have that knowledge. I would never want to be famous on a public forum like this, so I guess I wouldn't make a very good mod....maybe I'd be that hidden mod that nobody pm's 'cuz it'd show I was offline. I have a mod friend who says her job is stressful. With great power comes great responsibility. sad
Blaze-kun
I wouldn't mind being a mod. But I don't go around asking to be one. I like to help people, and I know I could go through reports and such. But I don't know all the rules very well, and a mod needs to be able to have that knowledge. I would never want to be famous on a public forum like this, so I guess I wouldn't make a very good mod....maybe I'd be that hidden mod that nobody pm's 'cuz it'd show I was offline. I have a mod friend who says her job is stressful. With great power comes great responsibility. sad
Yeah, I love that line
I have no friends on Gaia that I would have to ignore, but I'd hate to lose my posting freedom. Also, I'm not sure I could stand having to listen to newbie after newbie asking what to do before reading the rules and stickies.
I've been known to have a bit of a temper. =p
I'd probably suck at being a mod. heart
I know how they feel though, because I do the whole answering questions thing on another game. Sometimes I feel like killing someone. gonk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff