Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pompetti

Pompetti 1 100.0% [ 76 ]
Total Votes:[ 76 ]
1 2 3 >

Every day, I live in constant fear and terror of losing my Gaian gold and items as I go out and perform my daily tasks of my adolescent life. No, this has nothing to do with hackings, scams or realizing that I lost gold spending on a disappointed DI.

The community I live in is very close-knit and interactive, where everyone knows each other and is invited to everyone else's birthday parties. Also, unlike other communities, Gaia is a big deal to the people in my neighborhood. Almost all the kids use it, and some of the grown-ups use it too. Gaia is REALLY popular here.

Now, I know what you're going to say. "Oh, that's so awesome that all your friends are on Gaia!" Let me tell you, that's NOT the case. Because like I said before, I live in constant fear and terror. Trust me, when your Gaian life coincides with your real life, that's the LAST thing you want to happen.

For example, there is this huge bully at my high school - Billy Urnhall. And guess what, he uses Gaia too, go figure. (You might know Billy's account, he's a major attention hog.) Anyways, I'm a bit of a pushover, so Billy always targets me and bullies me around and stuff. Only, instead of demanding typical bully demands like "GIMME YOUR LUNCH MONEY," Billy demands, "GIMME YOUR GOLD!" Every time I see Billy, I have to give him 5k so he won't beat me up and rip up my homework.

What really sucks is that I can't report him to the Principal or my parents about it. Since Gaian gold is not real money, it's not like Billy was stealing from me. Also, Billy has never beaten me up before, but that's because I always pay him 5k not to. I guess I can try and stand up to him, but Billy's really big, stinky and scary. Sometimes it seems like it's not worth the effort. And as a result, my avi's wealth has to pay for it.

Practically everyone uses Gaia in my school. They use it to bargain answers to tonights homework for last month's DI, or spread gossips and rumors based on what a person revealed in Life Issues. Heck, even a couple of my teachers use it. Only, they don't log on to Gaia to play, they do it to spy on their students.

For example, I hear that my future science teacher next year, Mr. Sternhardt, has an unknown Gaian account in which he uses to see if his students are doing their homework or not. I don't know how he does it, but he's really good at figuring out the usernames each of his students go by. My older brother who had the same teacher said he came up with many mules to try to elude Mr. Sternhardt, but the teacher always figures out who my brother is within a few weeks. Afterwards, if a person says, "Oops, I left my homework at home," or "I was too sick last night to do my homework," Mr. Sternhardt would prove that they were lying and would take out evidence of screenshots of them being on Gaia. Then he would give them detention and call their parents, which usually results in groundings with no access to the internet.

Now, I know that most people don't go through the same things I go through with my Gaian account. But when some people say that Gaia is going to be as popular as they think it will be, doesn't it make you wonder how much it will affect your normal life? What if Gaia reaches a userbase so vast, that nearly everyone you know will use it? Wouldn't it be awkward? Wouldn't it be great? Wouldn't it be terrifying?!

Try thinking real hard. Given your knowledge of your community and the people in it, what would it be like if Gaia was largely implemented in your RL community? Think about it and discuss.

btw: The story about me, Billy Urnhall, Mr. Sternhardt and my older brother is entirely fictional. I am really the eldest living in an urban neighborhood and nearing retirement. But still, don't let this steer you away from the discussion.

Doting Darling

Apply booted foot directly to mantenna array; repeat as necessary. If bleeding results, you have followed this procedure correctly.

You tiny-texter, you.

That said; interesting perspective; it does point up the fact that Gaia is generally 'safer' if it doesn't intersect with our 'real' lives.

Anxious Lover

10,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
That would be so freaky. It would be awesome, depending on your position of all this.

I think I would dislike my life revolving around my life. And yet it would make my life a whole lot more interesting. :/
[********, I'd be in trouble. XD Or I could charge Gaia gold to do people's homework...hmm...>:3 5k to get your homework done! : D .::.

Oh snaps! I was all getting ready to find where you live and punt kick Billy for you, Pompetti! *hugs*

Anywho, I'm lucky my Gaia life does not coincide with my real life. Here, I can let people know I am gay, be real with myself and enjoy nerdy pleasures while talking to some really cool and talented people. In real life, I have to work my a** off, especially while I am in Army ROTC where theyabsolutely do not allow homosexuality. Its tough.
Joseph Severn
Apply booted foot directly to mantenna array; repeat as necessary. If bleeding results, you have followed this procedure correctly.

You tiny-texter, you.

That said; interesting perspective; it does point up the fact that Gaia is generally 'safer' if it doesn't intersect with our 'real' lives.

I had to read your first sentence several times because I got confused. sweatdrop

But is it? I dunno, I only introduced one perspective. What do you think will happen given with your experience with your community?

@Aimless Shadow: I suppose, it would be awesome if I was in Billy's place. :[
Two lives jumbled and mix together? Quite interesting indeed! biggrin

@Angel Of Geeks: So I guess it's possible for everyone to benefit. XP
Joseph Severn
Oh wow. I lawled. Hard. rofl
I would report him for harrasment dealing with gaia gold.

V_O_R v2
I'd be really happy if everyone around me was on Gaia. It'd be something new to relate to with everyone wink

I wouldn't have to worry about bullies because I'm in University. They don't exist. Besides, I could repay my debts through Gaia gold and not spend a real penny~

ninja

Of course if everyone was on Gaia then I'd have more motivation to stop going on. I have a tendency to fall out of things once they go mainstream. domokun
Leo Boy

Oh snaps! I was all getting ready to find where you live and punt kick Billy for you, Pompetti! *hugs*

Anywho, I'm lucky my Gaia life does not coincide with my real life. Here, I can let people know I am gay, be real with myself and enjoy nerdy pleasures while talking to some really cool and talented people. In real life, I have to work my a** off, especially while I am in Army ROTC where theyabsolutely do not allow homosexuality. Its tough.

Aww, you're right. For some people it'd be great if our GL and RL were mixed together, for others it would suck as heck. Sometimes we're more real in one life than the other, it doesn't necessarily mean it's always our RL that we become really real. *hugs bunches*

@Voice Of Reason v2: Is that possible? Does it state that somewhere in the ToS? What sort of evidence is required in order to go through with that accusation?
i dont haveany gold to take so im in the clear.

lol unlike you. GEEK talk2hand jk

5,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100

.:[I Came, I Polled, I Posted]:.

That would suck if that were the case somewhere in the world. Gaia, something suppose to be fun, being a reason for people to terrorize one another. It destroys the fun out of Gaia.

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Creepy teacher ... and I really hope Gaia doesn't become mainstream.
[lllllllll]

<3

If I was you (fictional you) I would murder billy bully and take all his gold and laugh while chewing on his bloody skin.

Shapeshifter

you see, the secret of being on Gaia all night is that you do your homework before school and during lunch (or you just happen to have a college style schedule in high school ninja ).

i don't think i'd have trouble with bullies. they never bothered me (probably because half of them were scared of me....6' person scared of 5' person twisted ). just tell the kid no. if he does beat you up, he gets in trouble. if not, he can never call the bluff again. problem solved.

if everyone used Gaia, it wouldn't be that different for me. it's not like it will keep all the kids at college from going out partying or make those who play games all day stop that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff