Welcome to Gaia! ::

UNSUB
Man, if you are the one who drew your sig, you'll find a really quick way to reach today's level of affluence without spending a cent. emotion_kirakira

I did not. A friend of mine had it commissioned for us yeeeears ago. I can't even remember anymore who drew it.

Beloved Fairy

Ah same happened to me i havent been on in years and prices are crazy.
UNSUB
DyslexicSquirrel
This is the first time I've been on in years and that was just a random log on to see if I remembered my password. But I haven't been activte since maybe '08 at the latest and everything thing I'm seeing is making me sad. I met some awesome people on here, a couple of whom I'm still friends with in RL. I miss the good ol' Gaia days.

Man, if you are the one who drew your sig, you'll find a really quick way to reach today's level of affluence without spending a cent. emotion_kirakira

I have to agree. That is a beautiful picture in your signature.

Perfect Saint

whitewolfpup
Myrielle
I don't think it works that way. Buy GC then an item(non gold gens) does not create gold. What is exchanged are gold already in existence and merely transferring between users (and getting less being affected by the listing fee).
Prices reach a certain level because that's how much people can pay for the items. If they didn't want to pay that much, the vendors will reduce their prices until they reach a new price where items start moving. What happened the last couple of years is people were given to get a massive and rapid method to get gold quickly and they have far more gold and can afford to spend more. Whatever items were around got bought quickly and vendors adapted and tried for higher prices. If the buyers could still buy them, then they try for higher prices until buyers can't then they start looking for a new level. However, gold generators kept coming and kept spewing out every increasing amounts of gold, so the buyers are able to afford the new prices, and the whole process just kept repeating until you see the levels you see now.

If you think about the art being sold on site. That takes no GC and yet the prices have exploded as well. It's really having that much more gold in the system and people being able to afford the asking prices, therefore, resetting the selling level each time.

Gold sinks help control the rate of inflation, but they are too few and too slow against the amount of gold being generated.

I don't think you are to blame for investing in a website you like. Buying low and selling high has always been the guiding edict of the market. (Ask Johnny Gambino) This even existed before Gaia Cash. The stage is just bigger.

I will include this comment since it says it better than I did.

I should've been more specific in what I was referring to. In the welcome to Gaia thread it says;
"There are a lot of ways to earn gold on Gaia Online!

One of the fastest, easiest ways to get gold is actually by buying items from the cash shop and selling them on the marketplace! You can purchase Gaia Cash here. Once you have the item you want to sell, you will need to get your trading pass from the first page of the marketplace. Then simply to go the marketplace, hover over the marketplace tab, and click sell item. Here is a direct link to the page where you can sell items. One of the most profitable items to sell is the Chance Item, which for this month is Return to Valefor!"
I don't quite understand, but a chance item that gives out items is not damaging, but a chance item that gives out gold is.

Beloved Wolf

Myrielle
I don't think it works that way. Buy GC then an item(non gold gens) does not create gold. What is exchanged are gold already in existence and merely transferring between users (and getting less being affected by the listing fee).
Prices reach a certain level because that's how much people can pay for the items. If they didn't want to pay that much, the vendors will reduce their prices until they reach a new price where items start moving. What happened the last couple of years is people were given to get a massive and rapid method to get gold quickly and they have far more gold and can afford to spend more. Whatever items were around got bought quickly and vendors adapted and tried for higher prices. If the buyers could still buy them, then they try for higher prices until buyers can't then they start looking for a new level. However, gold generators kept coming and kept spewing out every increasing amounts of gold, so the buyers are able to afford the new prices, and the whole process just kept repeating until you see the levels you see now.

If you think about the art being sold on site. That takes no GC and yet the prices have exploded as well. It's really having that much more gold in the system and people being able to afford the asking prices, therefore, resetting the selling level each time.

Gold sinks help control the rate of inflation, but they are too few and too slow against the amount of gold being generated.

I don't think you are to blame for investing in a website you like. Buying low and selling high has always been the guiding edict of the market. (Ask Johnny Gambino) This even existed before Gaia Cash. The stage is just bigger.

I should've been more specific in what I was referring to. In the welcome to Gaia thread it says;
"There are a lot of ways to earn gold on Gaia Online!

One of the fastest, easiest ways to get gold is actually by buying items from the cash shop and selling them on the marketplace! You can purchase Gaia Cash here. Once you have the item you want to sell, you will need to get your trading pass from the first page of the marketplace. Then simply to go the marketplace, hover over the marketplace tab, and click sell item. Here is a direct link to the page where you can sell items. One of the most profitable items to sell is the Chance Item, which for this month is Return to Valefor!"
DyslexicSquirrel
This is the first time I've been on in years and that was just a random log on to see if I remembered my password. But I haven't been activte since maybe '08 at the latest and everything thing I'm seeing is making me sad. I met some awesome people on here, a couple of whom I'm still friends with in RL. I miss the good ol' Gaia days.

Perfect Saint

whitewolfpup

Admittedly, the dress up feature has grown. I have found animated items, which didn't exist in ye olden days. But, I was appalled that the site even seems to acknowledge it's own greed, with the gaia getting started thread advises "buying some GCash, buying an item, and selling it for profit" which only drives the problem. Back in 08, I bought a $10 or $15 Gaia cash card and now I feel guilty for propagating a problem - back then, it was only relevant once a month.

Beloved Wolf

Well, I've been looking through threads and such and it really seems like this is a rampant problem (yet to see any word from gaia on the theme of it "dying/alienating user base". It also seems like most threads die fairly quickly or go days between responses. Also seems like my naivety that it was a glitch giving me 10 announcements concerning gaia cash a day was wrong, it's their marketing.

Admittedly, the dress up feature has grown. I have found animated items, which didn't exist in ye olden days. But, I was appalled that the site even seems to acknowledge it's own greed, with the gaia getting started thread advises "buying some GCash, buying an item, and selling it for profit" which only drives the problem. Back in 08, I bought a $10 or $15 Gaia cash card and now I feel guilty for propagating a problem - back then, it was only relevant once a month.

I guess gaia will always be more that magical place from my youth than somewhere I can hang out online; this logging in has only given me nostalgia. I've been looking at old items and reminiscing from when they came out -- having 100k was considered super rich back then; now I've got 300,000,000 and can't afford much. Sigh.

Werewolf

I haven't frequented since '07 or '08 myself.
I can sum it up for you.

Worst case scenario.

It's all GC now. Exactly what I predicted before I left.
Take one single glance at the MP prices. It's absolutely ridiculous.
I won't lie, I'm going to miss coming here, but now the GCD is all fanthreads and discussions on items I have the least bit of interest in...

Explorer

I always logged on after a few months of inactivity, and only spent my time on the art shops/request forums and zOMG...
the part of the forums where I spend my time appears to be as active as it was a few years ago? as much as I can remember.
I never use GCash for anything.

Sugary Wolf

16,225 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Pet Trainer 150
whitewolfpup
Well that's all bad news sad I've been active on a few different forums since I've "grown" past gaia, and had thought to pop in and see if this one was worth rejoining (in other news, turns out I use the same password from 06 to present).

Last time I was here it felt like it was a bunch of 13yo kids wanting to act like they're 18yo+. Which, I guess looking back to my 06 self may have been me, but was a lot more NSFW type stuff. I've yet to explore the forums much (mostly logged back on because I enjoy the games which are now really old...Tiles, Blackjack) but with the state everything else is in I expect more disappointment.
real bad news lol.tiles is fun and the other old games are fun as well. Zomg getting taken off sucks though

Beloved Wolf

Well that's all bad news sad I've been active on a few different forums since I've "grown" past gaia, and had thought to pop in and see if this one was worth rejoining (in other news, turns out I use the same password from 06 to present).

Last time I was here it felt like it was a bunch of 13yo kids wanting to act like they're 18yo+. Which, I guess looking back to my 06 self may have been me, but was a lot more NSFW type stuff. I've yet to explore the forums much (mostly logged back on because I enjoy the games which are now really old...Tiles, Blackjack) but with the state everything else is in I expect more disappointment.

Sugary Wolf

16,225 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Pet Trainer 150
whitewolfpup
So I've logged back on a few times after "the golden years", and I have a few questions.

-Is everything really inflated? Prices in the marketplace seem to be in the millions. Additionally, in about a weeks time I've made a million which makes me think that 1 gold isn't worth what it used to be.

-Is it really dead as a community? Mostly read this on other boards/reddit. I was always used to the jump-in free RPs which were dead last visit and random friends on Towns which I haven't even explored in forever. I also read that the fun things like humans v. vampires don't happen.

-Is GCash really everything? In my few days, I've gotten like 20 notices concerning purchases and tiers and other things necessitating GCash purchases.

Anything else I should know? Probably won't end sticking around terribly long like usual, just enjoy lurking every now and then and avatar designing.

-Is everything really inflated? pretty freaken much now, apparently they were being jack asses and make it so that people could carry more gold. They make more and more stupid rigs or whatever and killed the economy that way.

-Is it really dead as a community? from what Icould tell it has been ):

-Is GCash really everything? to most it is now a days, which is sad that we cannot rely in events and mules for those events to make us G anymore.

Anything else I should know? Zomg is gone ):

Beloved Wolf

So I've logged back on a few times after "the golden years", and I have a few questions.

-Is everything really inflated? Prices in the marketplace seem to be in the millions. Additionally, in about a weeks time I've made a million which makes me think that 1 gold isn't worth what it used to be.

-Is it really dead as a community? Mostly read this on other boards/reddit. I was always used to the jump-in free RPs which were dead last visit and random friends on Towns which I haven't even explored in forever. I also read that the fun things like humans v. vampires don't happen.

-Is GCash really everything? In my few days, I've gotten like 20 notices concerning purchases and tiers and other things necessitating GCash purchases.

Anything else I should know? Probably won't end sticking around terribly long like usual, just enjoy lurking every now and then and avatar designing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff