Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Gawker

Or... effected? Gosh I'm terrible at knowing the difference.

So I've come out of lurking to ask, has Gaia actually made a difference in the person you are today? Was it little things, more stylish, got into a fandom, a better typer, etc? Or has it made a bigger difference? Have you met people on the site that have changed your life?

Have these changes been good? Bad? Do you find yourself procrastinating more or spending money you shouldn't have?

I know that Gaia has hit me in stages. At one point early on the friends I made helped me through a dark time when I was really struggling, I found an outlet I needed, my skills at typing would never be what they are today. (Keyboarding never taught me to not look at the keys, but Gaia did! -shows my age-) I became a better writer for rping on the site.

Later I got really involved in the storyline, and it helped again when I was struggling with health issues, and I even met my ex-fiance through it, and my best friend in the whole world.

And now, some of my greatest friends came thanks to beta testing for Gaia. I couldn't be happier. Even though I'm hardly active on the site anymore, I still love dressing my avatar. It even reflects in real life when I want to match my outfits like I'm on Gaia. It's the only thing that still pushes me to draw when the rest of the time I've given up.

So, has Gaia changed your life in little or big ways GCD? Would you change any of it?

Shameless Enabler

Some of the greatest people in my life were met because of this dang Gaia thing.
Friends in both internet land and people whom actually lived close to me.
I was a shy lil turtle before becoming a purple eyed cat. A friend I met on Gaia who went to the same school taught me how to come out of that shell.
I never would have known she existed, or even talked to her, had it not been for Gaia.

Friends who have helped me grow as a person both through mine own actions, and their actions.
I really would be a much different person if it had not been for Gaia.
Regrettable....but Gaia never did manage to fix my horrid spelling. Granted I don't think anything in this universe can.

Hell. I'm living with someone I met on here.
I'm "Uncle Kittyface" to her child.

Shameless Gawker

Sabin le Rose

Regrettable....but Gaia never did manage to fix my horrid spelling. Granted I don't think anything in this universe can.

Hell. I'm living with someone I met on here.
I'm "Uncle Kittyface" to her child.

Yeah, thank god for Firefox and the addition of spell check, that's all I'm saying.

Also that is totally creepy. talk2hand Tell Bella I said she should kick you out.

But yeah, I think I'd be a really different person if it wasn't for Gaia.
I also think I would of probably tried to kill myself again (when I had an adverse reaction to an antidepressant) instead of having Gaia friends recognize that was the issue and encourage me to stop taking it and getting help. So.. I might not of even been alive if not for Gaia now that I think about it.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I believe "affected" is the right one.

Anyway... Gaia has been beneficial to me, in that it's exposed me to other political and religious viewpoints. Going to a Catholic Elementary School and living in Texas, I didn't really have much exposure to alternate viewpoints, to the point that there were many I didn't even know existed. But on the Gaia ED forum, there was discussion. There were people with different views, and they challenged mine. And I looked at theirs and noticed many of them had a point.

In a relationship with Yiisu

Demonology Warlock

60,225 Points
  • The Forlorn Warlock 500
  • Dual Class Magic User 500
  • Night Club Singer 500
Homestuck happened...thanks, Gaia. I am now ruined.

lmao Alright, alright. Let's see...well, there has been ups and downs. I have been depressed before because of events in the past. I took a 1-3 year hiatus to recover. Even though I was a pretty emotional wreck, I think I needed that to grow a bit. Not everything can be happy.

Other than that, I have made some very close friends on Gaia that I hang out with IRL. Some I've known for over 6-8 years and I don't know what I'd do without them.

I have no idea if Gaia did horrible effects to me or not. It's hard to tell since I've been exposed to it since I was 15 and I'm now 24.

I have no regrets, though.

Shameless Gawker

marshmallowcreampie
I believe "affected" is the right one.

Anyway... Gaia has been beneficial to me, in that it's exposed me to other political and religious viewpoints. Going to a Catholic Elementary School and living in Texas, I didn't really have much exposure to alternate viewpoints, to the point that there were many I didn't even know existed. But on the Gaia ED forum, there was discussion. There were people with different views, and they challenged mine. And I looked at theirs and noticed many of them had a point.

I thought it was, but then you could say "Has Gaia had an effect on your life" and then I just get confused, lol.

But that's awesome that it's allowed you to be more open. Lol, the time that I did years ago spend in the ED forum taught me I wasn't very good at arguing my views past a point, because I'd hit a wall where I wouldn't understand how to say things differently to try and make it.

Green Gaian

I know my grammar isn't the best, but Gaia has taught me a lot more than my English class did. I don't go crazy with matching, but I actually do think a little about what clothing looks good together now. Had a relationship thanks to Gaia, but that didn't last.

7,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Gaia kinda changed me, been hanging out at CB for more than 6 months now, so I kinda got a bit open minded and stuff....

Helps out in one of my classes

Karisa_Wolfgang's Princess

Adorable Sweetheart

I always tried my best to spell things out even during the years internet was in its infancy/early stages as a child.

But when I joined Gaia, I noticed many users would type in leet text. But over a course of a week I was less respected. Since then I went back to typing properly.

I also learned how to RP more indepth. I still like doing very mary-sue things but I stopped using "*".

Gaia impacted in both good and bad ways...

Rare

I met a good friend on here about two and a half years ago, and we still talk to each other everyday. She also introduced me to a lot of things I really enjoy that I may not have found out about otherwise.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Nothing really drastic or life changing but Gaia made me try new things. It's also useful in keeping up with the latest trends in books and other forms of entertainment.

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
I guess... It helped me come out of my shell a bit. I'm still no good at talking to people for the most part, but it doesn't terrify me like it used to. sweatdrop

Also, it probably made me more apathetic. I used to get very impassioned about virtually everything, but now, most of the time, I just don't care enough to bother because you just can't change people's minds by arguing on the internet, heheh. These days, I might get two responses into a debate before going "I'm bored, going to do something else now..."

Quotable Prophet

i met my best friend on gaia, so i would say yes.
emotion_kirakira

it also made me interested in finances. the virtual kind!
pros and cons, i suppose.
ehehehe..

Friendly Regular

6,000 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
A friend I met on Gaia introduced me to Otep.
That's about the only real significance for me.
Gaia hasn't effected me other than that. I'm less caring. maybe that's something haha

Leaf

Gaia has taught me to bee a strong independent free thinking b***h

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas