• Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Informer 100
Red Rose Demons
Kotton Belle
Red Rose Demons
Kotton Belle
Red Rose Demons

but when you "call out" somthing for being hateful when it obviously isnt, you look like you are just trying to get people up in arms for nothing, and then you seem childish or like a troll for doing it. and equating real issues like slavery to a cooking turkey joke is trying way to hard to have an excuse to rant.

User Image

I didn't call it out for being 'hateful'. I fully acknowledge that it was a joke. I'm just trying to point out that, given the current political climate, it's a really, really bad joke that can easily be read as offensive.

Believe it or not, I was not the one who equated the joke to slavery. Gaia did that all on their own. After speaking to a few American friends who have said that "built on the backs of" is sometimes used in reference to other things, I can see why a lot of people see this as overreacting. I've been taught that that term is almost always followed by 'slaves', or at the very least by 'poor people whose labour was abused'.

but if you know gaia was joking (and know the 'offending' phrase has nothing to do with humans/anything realistic), and your not american, then why all the anger over this silly thing? its not worth all the energy. save it for when/if gaia really does say somthing more wtf rant worthy.

yum_pumpkinpie

User Image

Why is there the assumption that because I'm not American, I shouldn't care? Although part of that is because if I want to go online at all, I get inundated with American news. It's rare that something pertaining to Australian issues crops up in my newsfeed. But anyway, I care because it's something easily fixed to not be insensitive and offensive, and because I would like to think that I can expect more from Gaia, because I like this place and I've been here a long time now.

caring is nice of you. but since you are not american, you probably read some of the things said diffrently than the way they are intended due to culture diffrences. to us... gaia just made a silly joke using an old phrase that is commonly used in jokes for exageration and over dramatizing a (usually unrealistic or trivial) situation. thats it. caring/wanting to right wrongs is always good... just not needed this time.

User Image

I can respect that, even if you are being a bit patronising. Cultural differences can make a big difference in how things are interpreted. However, several Americans have shared my concerns over the wording, so I don't think that's all there is to it.

PK Flash's Datemate

Dangerous Rogue

18,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Informer 100
Lady Brinard
Kain-Senpai
It's a tongue and cheek joke. Really?

No, it is not. It wasn't a joke. It wasn't a comment on slavery. No tongue. No cheek. Just someone who seems to view things a bit skewed. rolleyes

User Image

It actually fits the definition of a tongue in cheek joke, it just also happens to be a truly shitty thing to joke about. That's my issue with it.

Destitute Wench

Kotton Belle
Lady Brinard
Kain-Senpai
It's a tongue and cheek joke. Really?

No, it is not. It wasn't a joke. It wasn't a comment on slavery. No tongue. No cheek. Just someone who seems to view things a bit skewed. rolleyes

User Image

It actually fits the definition of a tongue in cheek joke, it just also happens to be a truly shitty thing to joke about. That's my issue with it.

I respect your opinion. I do not dispute your right to express your opinion. Okay? It's just you're seeing something that is not there.

Bunny

30,425 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Bookworm 100
isn't Thanksgiving built on the backs of a thousand natives' squashed dreams? *-*

Duskou's Partner

Fashionable Hunter

emotion_facepalm
I don't know what to think

Widower

Enduring Hunter

I'm really confused..Why is she upset?

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
I feel like they are referring to how many turkey have been eaten on thanksgiving.
Saying that they ever got to live a full life to old age.
I do not see any racial things there.

Stellar Succubus

It's literally about turkeys and the fact that thousands upon thousands of them die so US citizens can celebrate a holiday. Which fits totally in with what a turkey might think and say if it were self-aware, verbal, and sentient. How on earth could anyone extrapolate racial issues from that?!

If anything, the indigenous population of the US would be those I'd expect to be offended by thanksgiving and jokes therewith. Isn't it essentially US invasion day? But I can't imagine they'd read that into that particular paragraph. There's literally no connection!

edit: I totally agree with the post below me! It's great to be so passionate and caring about the welfare of others, and I applaud that the OP is willing to stand up for what they believe is right. But t's best practice to avoid fighting other people's battles for them lest we overstep and cause problems surrounding acceptance of their issues.

We must support without taking over or talking over. If a black american had identified an issue with this, I'd be much more inclined to understand their cultural standpoint based on what they'd identified as the issue with the text. It's a great way to be an ally to a group we are not a part of: We can support the battles of others whilst not starting them on their behalf, especially without consulting with them and finding out if it is actually a battle they need and want.

Gracious Muse

16,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Let me say this as a Black American...

You're taking that announcement too far. Sometimes a joke is simply a joke and not intended to hurt anyone. For you to take a joke about turkeys and try to make it into a metaphor for the injustices that Blacks and Native Americans have gone through really just trivializes the whole issue.

But I do want to say thank you for being so passionate about this issue. You're not even Black or American but you still see what's happening. Next time, just really think about whether or not there's any racist undertones to a joke before you go ranting about it!

Also, I learned what SJW means yayyyyy

Antagoonist's Compadre

Hero

Feels like I'm reading a youtube comment thread, everything ends up in an an argument over race or religion.
So much cringe and secondhand embarrassment.
Looks like satire has no place in this world.

OP: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wistful Dreamer

ferguson has nothing to do with thanksgiving OR turkeys, end of story. stop making everything about ferguson because it's not. Or native americans. gaia literally made one idiotic not funny joke that has nothing to do with those things, and people are taking offense because they jump to conclusions and interpret it very loosely. Ugh.

I did however think it odd they made the effort to make an announcement that was not about gcash or gcash items. they need to hire new writers because their "jokes" are awkward. even if they didn't use "built on the backs of" to crack that lame line, it still involves dead turkeys's dreams and that bothers me, weirdly.

Magical Cat

I was looking for free s**t for my loyalty. all we got was silly words.

Magical Phantom

Kotton Belle
Red Rose Demons
Kotton Belle
Red Rose Demons
Kotton Belle
Red Rose Demons

but when you "call out" somthing for being hateful when it obviously isnt, you look like you are just trying to get people up in arms for nothing, and then you seem childish or like a troll for doing it. and equating real issues like slavery to a cooking turkey joke is trying way to hard to have an excuse to rant.

User Image

I didn't call it out for being 'hateful'. I fully acknowledge that it was a joke. I'm just trying to point out that, given the current political climate, it's a really, really bad joke that can easily be read as offensive.

Believe it or not, I was not the one who equated the joke to slavery. Gaia did that all on their own. After speaking to a few American friends who have said that "built on the backs of" is sometimes used in reference to other things, I can see why a lot of people see this as overreacting. I've been taught that that term is almost always followed by 'slaves', or at the very least by 'poor people whose labour was abused'.

but if you know gaia was joking (and know the 'offending' phrase has nothing to do with humans/anything realistic), and your not american, then why all the anger over this silly thing? its not worth all the energy. save it for when/if gaia really does say somthing more wtf rant worthy.

yum_pumpkinpie

User Image

Why is there the assumption that because I'm not American, I shouldn't care? Although part of that is because if I want to go online at all, I get inundated with American news. It's rare that something pertaining to Australian issues crops up in my newsfeed. But anyway, I care because it's something easily fixed to not be insensitive and offensive, and because I would like to think that I can expect more from Gaia, because I like this place and I've been here a long time now.

caring is nice of you. but since you are not american, you probably read some of the things said diffrently than the way they are intended due to culture diffrences. to us... gaia just made a silly joke using an old phrase that is commonly used in jokes for exageration and over dramatizing a (usually unrealistic or trivial) situation. thats it. caring/wanting to right wrongs is always good... just not needed this time.

User Image

I can respect that, even if you are being a bit patronising. Cultural differences can make a big difference in how things are interpreted. However, several Americans have shared my concerns over the wording, so I don't think that's all there is to it.

yea... the accidental patronising tone kinda happens when ya have to assume any kind of relaxed talk will be considered 'wrong' somehow. i gotta remember to avoid internet rage... its tiring to try and keep up with.

Magical Phantom

Caffeinated Moose
I was looking for free s**t for my loyalty. all we got was silly words.

i know! i was kinda bummed out there was no link to a free dumb turkey thing! crying
what do you expect from a country who thinks its great to make a family holiday in celebration of genocide.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff