Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Which Halloween Event Was Your Favorite?

Halloween 2k3 - Trick or Treat 0.064561651084847 6.5% [ 366 ]
Halloween 2k4 - Labtech X and Zombies 0.082377844417005 8.2% [ 467 ]
Halloween 2k5 - Grunnies 0.10654436408538 10.7% [ 604 ]
Halloween 2k6 - Invasion of the Zurg 0.054506967719174 5.5% [ 309 ]
Halloween 2k7 - Von Helsons 0.086082201446463 8.6% [ 488 ]
Halloween 2k8 - Human v Dark Elf v Vampire v Zombie 0.17798553536779 17.8% [ 1009 ]
Halloween 2k9 - S.I.N v B.O.O. 0.16634327041806 16.6% [ 943 ]
Halloween 2k10 - Grave Danger 0.12347856764862 12.3% [ 700 ]
Halloween 2k11 - Masquerade/Moonrise 0.10354559887105 10.4% [ 587 ]
Halloween 2k12 - The Don 0.034573998941612 3.5% [ 196 ]
Total Votes:[ 5669 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 ... 76 77 78 > >>

Kovarr's Waifu

Friendly Noob

10,875 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
I joined in '06 but started getting active in '07(not on this account though), so I wish I had seen the Halloween events from before emo I missed out on 2 events because of mai internetz, I believe the Grave Danger and last years.
As for favorite Halloween so far, thats a tough one xD I've enjoyed them all :> I'm really looking forward in seeing what this year brings emotion_yatta
Im still guessing EB vs Jack then vs Santa on the Christmas event o3o(?)

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
2K5 Stands out to me because of the very unique mechanic it offered: an evolving skin, and this was before evolving items were even being considered to be on the table. Of course, the very many sushi errors that came from it and the mass avatar-racism that went on between users and grombies screwed it up for a lot of people, and for that it can't be considered anywhere close to being the best one.
However, the storyline's creativity was very prevalent in this time period, and it should be noted that if Gaia were to do what they did then today it would be an instant success.

2K6 has to surpass it though, and I know some of the staff are going to disagree with me on that (insert le gaia meme here). The story was shaped soley by the users roleplaying with the staff behind their NPC accounts, users got to appear in the manga, and the events that spawned from the Zurg were all connected to eachother. The codes we had to crack, the hidden messages everywhere, and the NPC's in the forums just made that one of the best Halloweens ever.
It spawned still-active plot factions in Gaia today, like the GIB, and we still see little things hidden in the corner as homages to the event.

EDIT: The worst Halloween event by far would have to be 2K12's Vampire vs Elves event. The manga felt rushed, the final items felt rushed, the fruit-ninja combat game in the forums was by far glitchier than the pet system was... in its first few days of being released might I add. The combat mechanics in the mini-game literally had nothing to do with what was going on in the event, and to top that off we were given the option to "skip" this event by paying a small sum of GCash. The objective was to kill bats and owls on the opposing team to... do something? I today still question why we were doing that when we could have just been beating each-others faces in like the event suggested we were doing. The only thing enjoyable out of H2K12 was the countess NPC and the healing memory game.
To quote Caddicarus, I've had more enjoyment from interactive DVD menu's.

Man-Lover

GRUNNIES. biggrin

Destructive Bunny

Shooting zombies in 2k4 was still the most memorable for me.

Another one bites the dust!

Angelic Lunatic

41,275 Points
  • Moonlight Valkyrie 500
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
Even though I wasn't around, I do think the Zurg one is the best according to some older users.

But for the ones I was around for, the Grave Danger was my favorite, fighting ghosts, NPC interaction, and journals galore!

clarion's King

Super Model

2003 & 2010 are my fondest memories of Halloween on Gaia.

As our first Halloween, 2003 was pretty basic by today's standards. But at the time, it was the largest update we ever had, with awesome, simplistic items that were surprises since they were bagged (something only seen with donation letters and giftboxes at the time... and those were huge). NPCs got a huge face lift as well. Basically, everything was just new and over the top.

The 2010 Jack fight comes in close second. Yes it was hardcore laggy, but super fun being able to work with a ton of people in what essentially felt like a real boss fight. It made the gold and items we earned feel like real accomplishments—again cause we were also fighting some serious lag xD. Still, it's the best time I've had in a flash space.

Zurg event is also worth mentioning, but it left a lot of people feeling salty about certain things. Then again, the cool thing about it was that the effects of it (good or bad) stayed permanent. A little controversy is always fun. Story wise, it was awesome—and that's the kind of quality Gaia needs to ramp back up to.

In a relationship with Redstar Galaxy

Unholy Lightbringer

40,590 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Which was your favorite?

H2k8 was probably my favourite User Image

Why?

Probably because there was so much going on at the same time elsewhere on the site too (I mean, zOMG had just been released for us Head Start ticket holders cat_wink ) and it was just the perfect follow-up to the Rejected Olympics that Summer as well cat_3nodding

However, focusing a bit more on H2k8, I also felt like it captured the attitude of Gaians, especially in the manga cat_3nodding I mean, seriously, Hallowe'en Hysteria has got to be my favourite of the comics cat_xd Also, the fact that we could change teams and that each team was portrayed as relatively harmless, just going-about-their-slice of life (consensual interaction with vampires, dark elves just out for a casual bike ride, zombies feed on friendly hugs, while humans jump to conclusion and run amok with their everyday-ordinary-items-that-we-don't-even-have-available-to-us-in-the-Gold-Shops was, well, amazing! cat_4laugh )

Did you hate one?

Not quite... I really think I loved them all cat_whee ...But... I have really, really, realllllly loathe the direction the Hallowe'en rEI, since there release as a regular thing, has taken... cat_xp

Less gore/violence please cat_emo

Trick question, if you say yes then you hate freedom.

Define "Freedom"? User Image

Uncle Kenny
And before anyone says it, no, I'm not mining you for ideas. We have our basic gameplan for this year already and yes, it will be awesome. This thread though is just about past Halloweens.

Why... NOT!? cat_eek Seriously, mine away! cat_3nodding Some of the best ideas I've seen often come from fellow Gaians, so why not? cat_xd

I mean, ja, the whole UGC-thing with CrosStitch is... Let's just say... Got its downsides, but... You should really take some of our ideas seriously, because a lot of them have some real potential and depth to offer, especially the ones that are not strictly about items too User Image

Winter Hue
I was really fond of the SIN vs BOO and Grave Danger events.
SIN vs BOO for the community feels and Grave Danger for the items.

I must say those, no matter what kind of event we have, my only
true desire is that no Soulbound items exist. None whatsoever.

I agree that the Grave Danger items were some of best items we've ever had for H2k event cat_3nodding And definitely agree on the "No Soulbound" items bit too, but you'd think that almost goes without saying these days? cat_wink

Kitty Gnar-Gnar
2k4 zombies, because the build-up beforehand with the journals and the mystery was really cool - like an ARG or something. You could stand to do something a little ~spooky~ again, and I don't mean, like, gore or jump scares, but the kind of spooky you get reading creepypasta or browsing the SCP archives.

I would heart them to do more of that! cat_4laugh I mean, yes, I like H2k8, because the hysteria over some random fortune teller's prophecy that led to disturbing the other (probably even more peaceful than humans) races/people of Gaia, but building up a sense of eeriness on Gaia prior to the event would be great! cat_whee

Especially since the H2k4 event was a real suspense builder compared to most of the H2k events (well, H2k6 was quite amazing, but I felt the community was a bit less involved and there was more a hardcore group of Gaians that were devoted to it compared to H2k4) Also, I feel like the Manga for each H2k event that followed kind of laid out what to expect, for the most part, for them cat_3nodding (which isn't bad either!) I mean, at least, they should definitely increase the level of interactivity on part of the NPCs cat_whee And I really liked how they had LabtechX's MP store selling the Vial of Unknown Liquid too cat_xd

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

meep12345
Which was your favorite?

H2k8 was probably my favourite http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/lonelylamppost/Emotes/Cat_Kirakira.gif

Why?

Probably because there was so much going on at the same time elsewhere on the site too (I mean, zOMG had just been released for us Head Start ticket holders cat_wink ) and it was just the perfect follow-up to the Rejected Olympics that Summer as well cat_3nodding
I know I certainly enjoyed the level of worldbuilding in H2k8 with the different species and interactions along with little inside jokes, ect.

Wish we could go back to that again 3nodding

Special Snowflake

SIN/BOO and Von Helsons were my favourites because we got to attack other users by clicking under their avatars. It allowed for some time to actually get to chat to new people without needing to grind the event constantly to get out items (too much anyway). You could chat and click at your leisure mostly.

The Von Helsons descriptions for attacks were hilarious as well:
Quote:

Your Weak attack hit!
[username] walks wearily down the street, him hat brim pulled way down...

and Sand Dancer Shaka pokes fun at him!

Sand Dancer Shaka whispers, "Yeah, I bite, AND suck!"

I miss those witty little descriptions.....

But I did love having the little flash owl/bat game last year as well, I just wish it wasn't something you had to hammer like we did to get the items... Doing it only by that way felt like you had no time to chat without sacrificing item granting.

In a relationship with Redstar Galaxy

Unholy Lightbringer

40,590 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Slick Southpaw
meep12345
Which was your favorite?

H2k8 was probably my favourite http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/lonelylamppost/Emotes/Cat_Kirakira.gif

Why?

I know I certainly enjoyed the level of worldbuilding in H2k8 with the different species and interactions along with little inside jokes, ect.

Wish we could go back to that again 3nodding

It was definitely a very impressive event and will always be quite memorable for me as well cat_3nodding

Although, I also think, at the time, Gaia didn't really have nearly as many loose threads as it does now, which is probably why that H2k8 worked out so well. I mean, we've got VampsVsDarkElves side-fiasco going on with the whole Airship Saga fiasco and now EB vs Diedrich mess has finally spilled out of that time of the year, into the whole zOMG/Animated bit, only to snowball its way into Hallowe'en... So...

I dunno if we can ever go back to that again cat_sad

...Also, did they ever explain where those portals in/to Under Mountain, full of werewolves and smexy vampires and... WTFever a Night Fright is, in the H2k9 in zOMG came from or why? I mean, it was totally unrelated to the BOO v. SIN, but... It too is also another loose thread... cat_rolleyes

Well, I'm just glad there is so much to speculate on cat_whee

xRedHatx's Wife

Original Grunny

26,065 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Generous 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
Prince Wesker
User Image

I am going to have to vote for the Grunny as my favorite how ever the zombie was very good. I loved the grunny because of all the things that happened. From the storylines, to peoples profiles having Lab containers etc, all sorts of stuff I remember. But this is my vote and I'm very glad to see that you are taking a notice and asking with the community.

User Image

User Image
User Image 100% agreed. I loved these events. After these, the other ones don't compare as far as storyline and intrigue to me. I haven't really participated in the last few years.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
I cannot vote in your poll. I came here in December of 07. So from 08 on... I pretty much enjoyed all the ones I had participated in - at least up to the point where I would get up out of bed early in the morning to find I was a dead wolf even after I had logged off fully healed. There was no "protection" for those of us who have to log off for the night to go to bed or to have to go to work/school for the day. Made me really angry to have to waste so much of my time healing rather than being able to play.

Plus the fact that healing takes so much longer than being able to play in all your events in recent years. I have no patients for that and it wears me out healthwise. Please keep this in mind.

But in all, I loved all the events I played in for all of their various quirks and environments and all that. Storylines are my favorite parts about them.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I loved the Zurg event with all my heart and soul.

It had everything. A plot driven by users, NPC interaction, puzzles to solve and interesting 3 dimensional characters. It was also delightfully sci-fi. I remember how disappointed I was over the 2007 event because it did not live up to my expectations from the year before. I expected that sweet sweet NPC interaction.

Now, the only thing I want is sweet, sweet NPC interaction.

I understand now that there is no way Gaia could do a plot like this again, but I always hope they could. I miss chatting with my NPCs.

I haven't hated any of the Halloween events. I've hated summer events, and Xmas events but not Halloween.

I think the one I dislike most is the Demonbusters event... but that's more because the end was a cop out, and it put those crummy gods into the picture so the rest of Gaia story lines could be shitty for the rest of forever. It wasn't the event itself, it was the aftermath.

I've also incredibly disliked events that require you to use a flash space. This is more becase I love forum-based versus events. I like to hit buttons and chat with people. The moment you put it in flash space, it sucks because the forum aspect of the event is dead. Unless it's both. Both is ok. Not optimal, but ok.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Sand Dancer Shaka
SIN/BOO and Von Helsons were my favourites because we got to attack other users by clicking under their avatars. It allowed for some time to actually get to chat to new people without needing to grind the event constantly to get out items (too much anyway). You could chat and click at your leisure mostly.

The Von Helsons descriptions for attacks were hilarious as well:
Quote:

Your Weak attack hit!
[username] walks wearily down the street, him hat brim pulled way down...

and Sand Dancer Shaka pokes fun at him!

Sand Dancer Shaka whispers, "Yeah, I bite, AND suck!"

I miss those witty little descriptions.....

But I did love having the little flash owl/bat game last year as well, I just wish it wasn't something you had to hammer like we did to get the items... Doing it only by that way felt like you had no time to chat without sacrificing item granting.
I loved this as well.

Forum based vs. games are far better than flash based.

xRedHatx's Wife

Original Grunny

26,065 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Generous 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
Imperial Shockies
GRUNNIES. biggrin
User Image My thoughts exactly. User Image User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items