Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Sex Symbol

8,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • PvP 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
How much is 13K gia cash IRL? 130 USD? ANd this event shuts out those with no IRL cash. Seriously this is one of the greediest things ever.

Darling Trickster

18,175 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Pay to win... just pay to win. crying

Hard Lvck's Fav

Sergeant Gunner

someone spent like 97? i think....
i mean with the "discount"

Celestial Spirit

"Event?" You mean the reward tiers? No offense, but that's not the same as not allowing people to participate in one of their actual holiday events...
I do think they're getting ridiculously high, though.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
MewLover01
How much is 13K gia cash IRL? 130 USD? ANd this event shuts out those with no IRL cash. Seriously this is one of the greediest things ever.

"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Spending Tiers=/=Events.

It's not like you cannot buy the items off the MP.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."
You still have access to all the items, you would just need to buy them with gold. Granted, I do think the current state of the market is a bit...much and I'm sure, daunting to newer users (and, hell, older users too), but businesses need revenue in order to cover operating expenses.

Aged Noob

6,550 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
gaia is pretty much a pay-to-play site now. at least if you want all the new shiny items.

Mysterious Trickster

miss-shambala
gaia is pretty much a pay-to-play site now. at least if you want all the new shiny items.

Until it comes to a point where I have to pay GC to post, Gaia will never be pay-to-play.

Magical Girl

22,575 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Jacob 100
People throwing money at Gaia makes Gaia greedy lol
Well y'know. Gaia is feeding the crazy addicts on this site. =o

Conservative Explorer

Guess most of us can't take the Gaian heat. It's rather intimidating to new users, and as much as I say it, this whole economy is unstable as the frequent amount of cash shop ads.

Wicked Bibliophile

23,615 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
It's hardly greedy, and as someone already pointed out, you have access to those items in the marketplace.

I can't get my head around though why you think the tiers are greedy, Why shouldn't Gaia reward those who are already spending on their site? And if the tiers encourage a little more spending than one would normally do, then that's just effective marketing by Gaia.

Yes, people with G cash, or who have built up their gaia gold fortune will have a slightly different experience on this site to those who do not, will not or have not. But that's life. I can't complain that Louis Vuitton is greedy just because I can't afford to buy their handbags ... or even probably their handbag copycats rofl

Sparkly Flashback

12,550 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Team Carl 200
Calacie
It's hardly greedy, and as someone already pointed out, you have access to those items in the marketplace.

I can't get my head around though why you think the tiers are greedy, Why shouldn't Gaia reward those who are already spending on their site? And if the tiers encourage a little more spending than one would normally do, then that's just effective marketing by Gaia.

Yes, people with G cash, or who have built up their gaia gold fortune will have a slightly different experience on this site to those who do not, will not or have not. But that's life. I can't complain that Louis Vuitton is greedy just because I can't afford to buy their handbags ... or even probably their handbag copycats rofl

most things you can buy used for a lower cost, same goes for gaia items. 3nodding

you don't need cash for everything, just wait until it's been out for a while and buy it from other users for gold. surprised

In a relationship with his right hand

Aged Accumulator

It's not an event, it's just bonuses for spending money. Technically, it's bonuses for spending the digital currency you get with real money, so if you're a survey/offers maniac you can polish off those first 2-3 tiers without spending any money at all.

If websites ran on wishes and desperation, we'd be fine but unfortunately that's not how business works. Gaia's got a long history of -being- -unable- -to turn- -a profit- even in their glory days.

At its prime Gaia had hundreds of thousands of users online at once, up to half a million, all active, posting, and viewing advertisements. Now we've got 10-25k on average and while that may seem like it would put less stress on the servers, it's also a MASSIVE loss of revenue. Gaia isn't popular and it's not attracting sponsors like it once was. Before we had quests, car sponsorships, events, theatres, authors promoting books, Gaia was in demand and seen as a lucrative partnership to reach a fairly broad demographic that was being missed by a lot of traditional advertising. Gaia is nothing now. It's not in the news, it's not winning awards, it's not being advertised in magazines, online games, and anime websites, and it's been abandoned by almost everyone that once used it. Features such as Adblock also cut deeply into profits. While the traffic costs are much lower, they haven't routinely purged past threads and the vast majority of Gaia's content remains active as do old user accounts. Artists, programmers, and developers haven't magically become cheaper either, it costs just as much to have an artist design clothing items for ten people as it does ten million. Games and new features are something you develop as you grow because you know you'll have a userbase large enough to make them profitable, or at least to break even. The market for pixel goods is much smaller than it once was, we don't get the ad revenue we once did, and forum based communities are dying as a whole. Tweens and kids who are looking to express themselves online are no longer searching for message boards but are instead finding an outlet in sites like Tumblr and FaceBook. There's not a lot of potential growth in Gaia's future. It's been on a long, slow decline for a while and I'd honestly be surprised if it was still around in 5-6 years. Even strongholds like Neopets, once a massively successful children's site, have crumbled.

TLDR:
When there were half a million people online daily clicking advertisements and luring corporations to run sponsored events/items Gaia didn't have to push their cash shop. Now they do because it's the only way for them to earn money. They are a company and their employees need to eat and their bills need to get paid.

Alien Sex Symbol

Gentlemanly Swindler

How perfectly eloquent.
I was going to say something along the lines of:

"it takes money to run a business you ********."

but yours did it better

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers