Welcome to Gaia! ::

Please redirect me if this isn't in the correct forum.

Hello, I haven't been on Gaia in who knows how long and I never actually got into the marketplace business. Now I'm interested.
However, I don't want to make any stupid mistakes or end up doing something that might severely impact me in the long run.

If anyone can share basic tips, tricks and good guides they know about, please share them~
Johnny K. Gambino recommends that you buy low but sell high and you may get as rich as he.

Bloodthirsty Pie-Maker

You could try reading this guide, it's hasn't been updated in par with the current economy, but it has some basics that still work with the current MP....

As for tips, I don't have much.. Just try not to misprice your things and keep an eye for the warning you get if you accidentally misprice an item...
If you however do misprice an expensive item, you could try filling a ticket at the help center (only once) and get your item back...

Other than that, the most important thing (IMO) would be just to simply spend a lot of your time in the MP until you have sufficient knowledge about most of the items (learn the item, be the item) and stuff that's been going around there...

There are lots of methods of earning decent amounts of gaia gold in here, vending is one of the trickiest ones, it requires a lot of patience and time until you get somewhere...

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
One thing you can do is go for some seasonal items while they're cheap and wait till their major holidays where they inflate :3 This is a bit of a long process but it's one thing you can consider.

Hungry Immortal

38,775 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Cookie Collector 400
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
Look out for the seasons - buy Easter, Christmas, Summer /whatnot items in advance and sell them in the middle of the hype.

Never buy anything with price higher than the Average Market Price.

If the item is limited on the Marketplace and not too expensive, try to manipulate the marketplace - raise the price a bit, but not too drastically. Nobody will buy that.

Time-traveling Senshi

If you don't mind a bit of work and are looking for a steady stream of revenue while waiting for larger and seasonal items to get to a good selling point collect and save trash, flowers, and bugs from Towns. Turning bugs into inks to sell can be a profitable proposition as can selling certain pieces of trash and bugs. I have friends who stockpile bugs ans trash and sell off the hordes for the alchemy set to use. Also, play the dumpster dive a lot and you can get some items worth selling. You might get a lot of Caches for alchemy but do open them and check to see which items from them are worth the most and sell those components individually. It may not seem like much but you can use what you make in order to get the seasonal and low priced items to sell. Also, open the Daily Chance carts and take advantage of any charms you get for GoFusion. Selling those will help you get a bit of starting capital for future purchases.
I'm pretty poor, sorry.

fallenjay's Bae

Waffles

one tip: don't hoard. waste of time and a risk.

Girl-Crazy Gaian

The economy at the moment is in a deflating state, so most items will see price drops in the foreseeable future. Also means holding onto your gold isn't that bad.

Use The Exchange. Buy from "omg quick sale! Massive!" threads as they usually are easier to bargain with, especially when buying multiple items.
Don't buy anything you wouldn't want to own personally.
It might get re-released in a rig and then you'll be stuck with it for months, so you may as well be stuck with an item you like.

Also: double check the ABP graph to see if someone has recently tried to artificially inflate the price of the item ( you'll see a fairly steady line and then a sudden spike up ), If that's the case, probably don't buy.

Hallowed Phantom

One thing you can do is try to keep a lookout for misprices. They do not happen often, but when they do...easy profit. Also keep in mind that sunflowers and carnations often drop to like 20k, but usually within a day or two are back to 100k - 300k, depending, so there is a slow, but easy investment.

You can also look at certain item trends. If you have the cash, and see a limited item is selling out fast (I mean, you literally refresh the page and like twenty are gone already, and it keeps going quickly), buy one, wait a little while, then sell it when it is sold out and the demand for it increases, especially if it has 400 or less available to start with. Do not wait too long, however; Gaia has a terrible habit of re-releasing sooner than expected.

Also try to get an idea of where the economy is headed, and item rarity. Back when inflation was really starting to noticeably get bad, I saw the Forlorn Opera Singer was selling for something like 15 - 30mil, and I grabbed all the current listings. It was up to 100mil by the end of the week, and now? That item is worth over a billion gold. I can sell ONE right now and make back my investment + a massive profit if I wanted to.

Be aware of how an item was released. There are a LOT of recolors that come from RIGs, and others that come from Loyal's shop. If you want to take an investment risk, avoid the latter. The Triplet items come to mind, for example: the Pale, Sickly, and Ghastly Triplets are rarer and occasionally get re-released from RIGs, but the Adorable, Feverish, and Antique Triplets come from a gold-bought RIG in Loyal's shop, and are a LOT more common for that reason.

And on that note, depending on the item, color matters. For some, red/black/white will be the most popular (and expensive). For others, it will be the blues/toxic green/orange/pink/cream variants. Keep that in mind for any "buy low, sell high" investments you try out.
Awesome, thank you all for the advice!

...I'd also like to know how to properly invest in something, if there's even a way. I'm antsy about spending a ton of cash on something I might not be able to get a profit on.

Devoted Seeker

22,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
Unless you're willing to pull a Dave Hester and run up the bidding, avoid item auctions. It's generally a complete waste of time.

There are quite a few recurring names on the MP. Memorize them. You'll want to know at a glance who offers the best deals, who your direct competition is, and who to avoid buying from.

If you're not selling charms, hoard them for when new items are released on GoFusion. Avoid making RIGs there unless they were just barely added or you're making them for yourself, as they will deflate before very long.

Get in on the ground floor of trends regarding CS items. If it's a popular item, the original and the first few recolors will sell very well, then prices will taper off regarding subsequent recolors to the point where it's just not a good investment to make. An example would be the Umbreon/Espeon items. The original and the first few recolors were selling for over a hundred billion. The most recent recolors are going for half that at best.

When there's a low ABP item with no listings, a common thing people will do is list the item for a very high price in an attempt to artificially inflate the item and create a demand. I've seen items with an ABP in the low hundred millions listed for a hundred billion, and pretty much all it does is make the lister look like a total d**k and make me not want to buy from them. It's OK to manipulate the market a bit, but picture yourself on the other side of the fence before listing. Would you want to pay that much?

Don't even touch a bundle on the MP unless you can price the contents before buying. Know for sure that you'll at least make your gold back.

Regarding caches, opening caches to sell back components is a very slow but steady source of income. The ingredients you'll want to do this with are Orc Fangs (Topaz, 25K), Shark's Blood (Emerald, 5K), Fail (Aquamarine, 10K), Mermaid Scales (Gold, 50K), Tangled Yarn (Garnet, 2.5K), Shell Casings (Platinum, 50K), and Gunpowder (Amethyst, 10K). Sapphire, Ruby, and Diamond caches do not have any components with a sellback above 500 gold. The Dumpster Dive is full of caches plus people sometimes sell them low, so it's like making free gold.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff