Who...cares? 0.25 25.0% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 4 ]
1 2 >

Desirable Streaker

14,600 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • 50 Wins 150
For those of you not cool enough to have Dev alerts, there's been a suggestion to:
siskataya
Renam[e] General Discussion and creating a new sub-forum for casual discussion for those GD forum goers who have requested a space to have more lengthy discussion than what is currently offered in the GD main forum.

While there may be a joking war between the GCD and GD at all times, the fact we're renaming such an established sub-forum is kinda much. And it's not like the general public is so against tradition... wait. We did what to Edmund's shop? Oh. Yeah. Right.

Clicking the link I kinda laughed to myself thinking they were going to merge GCD and GD since people who don't frequent either think they're synonymous but I'm sorta wondering how the rename could be any more general than ... general?

And I sorta actually enjoy a more longform version of GD which doesn't extend to ED. So... medium length conversation? I'd joke saying let's take this to GD:ED edition! Perhaps we'll acquire a more longform companion as well. Somebody to hold close at night. I mean whut? If the "How do YOU feel about YOUR xxxx [replace with avi, item, inventory,etc]" (Note the "post here about me, and move along" wink moved to there and the GCD was entirely plot driven and more of the occasional "just released" sorta thing, it would be interesting to see.

The clean up, more generally speaking (There should be a drinking game for every time G or General is mentioned), is pretty productive but I feel that a few people who it affects might not be able to voice their concerns since they're a huge minority. Personally I don't feel like doubling the links to some of them to help connect similar ideas is going to increase traffic such a significant amount.

Super Cat

14,875 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
The new Sticky in the GD clarifies this more.

Quote:
Hello GD!

I wanted to talk to you today about some changes that are going to be coming down the pipe for Gaia's forums. We're going to be streamlining the forums to make them more efficient and usable for the Gaia community - basically, it's a Fall Forum Clean-Up! Since part of this project largely affects the GD, we wanted you to have a heads up on this before making a general public announcement (which will go out later today). We know you like your GD home, so we felt it was only appropriate to notify you first of these changes.

As many of you are aware, we have tried for years to find a balance in the GD for all its members regarding the concept of "what constitutes a discussion". Many of you have told us you love the quick-pace of the forum and prefer threads (such as pic drops, one-liner question threads, etc.) that foster a minimalist discussion-style. You've also told us you like the fun and free atmosphere that accompanies such threads. That said, many of you have also said that you miss having more in-depth discussions in your forum. You have said that while you don't want to really engage in a lengthy debate the type of which occurs in Extended Discussion, you want to have a forum where the discussion threads have a bit more substance to them and which aren't overwhelmed by other forum content.

After much consideration, and with input from GD community members, we've decided to make the following changes to the GD forum:
* The forum will be renamed "The GD" - this is how many of you identify with the forum, and each other, so it makes sense to have this label.
* You'll now be allowed to pic-drop (appropriate content only of course!) in The GD forum- thanks to everyone for their feedback in our previous thread about this topic! It seems the majority of you wanted the rule disallowing picdropping to be removed.
* Many of you have requested a space to be able to ONLY discuss topics and issues - a place without the picdrops, one-liner question discussions, etc. To suit this section of the community, we'll be opening up a "Casual Discussion" sub-forum of the GD. The rules for this will be different than those of GD main, and things like picdrops, low-content discussions, etc. will not be allowed.

Anyway, that is all for now. Just wanted to give you a heads up on these changes. Feel free to use this thread to give feedback on these changes or additional suggestions on how to improve the GD. And please - let's not allow this thread be overrun with trolling, abuse, nonsensical comments, etc. Such content is not only not allowed in this forum, such spam makes it difficult to address legitimate feedback and concerns you may have.

Take care,
Sisky

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
To be honest. A lot of the current and usual content of the GD belongs in the CB.
I go there from time to time and I find more actual discussion about general things in the CB than the GD.

It's an issue that has been around for years. I'm glad they're actually doing something about it.

Beloved Perfectionist

I think its a good idea. A little rough and.... General (lol)
But still a good idea.

Something like putting all the nice people i meet here with the ability to talk about more than gaia.

It all depends on how they worked it out. Exclusive to "better people" (heaven like)

Then it be the EGD:ED

(exclusive general discussion: extended dicusion)

EGD isnt such a bad idea now that i see it... We dont have an EGD yet do we?

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
          Oh, I thought they were actually going to rename it, not just call it "the GD"...I don't use either forum very much, but since they're allowing pic drops and non-discussion discussion, why don't they just combine it with the CB?

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
Calling it "The GD" is not a rename, that's just stupid rofl

Shy Gaian

Denham
          Oh, I thought they were actually going to rename it, not just call it "the GD"...I don't use either forum very much, but since they're allowing pic drops and non-discussion discussion, why don't they just combine it with the CB?

GET YOUR

CB and GD do not get along, at all. It would be a terrible idea to merge the two together....

On topic though, I'm glad their doing this. I was a GD'er for a few months until I got bored with it. It is a fast moving forum, and it was hard to keep up with what was going on. Along with creating a new subforum....are all the threads that are made somewhere, and don't belong there going to be moved to the new CD? I hated when my threads were moved to GD, because it just died. Plain and simple.

I love their renaming it "The GD" though. I'm glad their working a way to meet what everyone wants.

CRAYON

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
kitten tea
GET YOUR

CB and GD do not get along, at all. It would be a terrible idea to merge the two together....

CRAYON

I realize they don't get along, I just really don't understand why.

Perfect Pumpkin

AliceLoathesWonderland
To be honest. A lot of the current and usual content of the GD belongs in the CB.
I go there from time to time and I find more actual discussion about general things in the CB than the GD.

It's an issue that has been around for years. I'm glad they're actually doing something about it.
I agree. The actual threads in each of the two forums are flip-flopped, I think. I don't really visit the GD, but it's really nice to see a proactive action to improve it.

A Prunny's King

Undead Labtech

71,825 Points
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
Wait, Louie has a shop?

Anyhow... Merging the GD and the CB might be frowned upon by both sides but really neither of them would be able to tell the difference. It'd be like two prostitutes sharing the same clientele, yeah they're a tiny bit different but it's all still the same dirty business.
I'm a constant poster in the CB, and I occasionally lurk in the GD.
There's a 'cold war' going on between the two forums, because the GD tend to think that the CB post pointless topics - which, I might add, is the point of the CB.
But I think that that's so dumb, when much of what I see in the GD is topics like
"Here's a pic of me. I am ugly. discuss."
And personally, to me, the CB has more worthwhile topics than the GD. Even if a lot of them are about things like poo.
Plus, the last time I clicked on a topic in the GD, I just saw a picture of the posters saggy balls. emotion_puke

Cluttered Gaian

Lazarus Larkin
Calling it "The GD" is not a rename, that's just stupid rofl

My thoughts exactly.
I was all for reform in the GD until I saw that. It's silly, awkward, will confuse newbies, and we're not doing that with any other forum's acronym so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Original Gaian

10,600 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Moira's Valentine 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I say just get rid of the damn thing. Chatterbox too. Whatever happened to making friends the old fashioned way and PMING THEM your BULLS*T!!!

*ahem*

Sorry, my ranter almost came out..... :0

Barton Gaian

16,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Maybe Gaia Community Discussion should be renamed Gaia Community Talk, or just Community Discussion? A lot of the GD/GCD confusion is due to the similar names (General Discussion/Gaia Discusson) and both being in the same section of the forums. Renaming one of them into "The GD" wouldn't really change that, and might make it worse as people looking for General Discussion are more likely to head into a forum named Gaia Discussion than an abbreviated one.

On the other hand, "Gaia Community Talk" isn't likely to be confused with General Discussion, and it mirrors Avatar Talk - talk primarily focused on avatars - which will be getting its own main forum.

Ideally, the GD would probably be better named "General Chat", but the members would no doubt throw a fit with implications of being too similar to the Chatterbox that way.

Oneirose Ashwalker's Significant Otter

Smitten Kitten

18,475 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Magical Girl 50
I would think you would make the Casual Discussion the forum and the GD the subforum. I don't understand the thought of hiding legitimate conversation behind pic drops and spam.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff