Welcome to Gaia! ::

is gaia too strict?

yes 0.07719298245614 7.7% [ 22 ]
no 0.47017543859649 47.0% [ 134 ]
it has its moments 0.41052631578947 41.1% [ 117 ]
other (please share) 0.042105263157895 4.2% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 285 ]
< 1 2 3 4

If anything, Gaians should be on a tigher leash, I think. To me, free speech isn't an issue on here, it's the TOS violations (trolls, hackers, etc). If I had my way, every troll, scammer and hacker would be IP banned on first offence. 3nodding
Tungska Butterfly
I've never had anything more than a grumbling with the ods, I think they do a pretty good job.

Except for one post where I was asking people in ED to PM me for a private chat about weird things. I made it very clear that I was asking in ED as they were able to hold the kind of thoughts that I was looking for and I begged them at the very beggining of the post to not move the thread, I knew it wasn't contributing to any sort of debate.

They moved it, to the chatterbox. where people started talking about cheese. Thats the ONLY time I have EVER been agry at a Mod.

That sort of thing is in the rules for good reason and a Mod has to make sure the rules are abided by. So they can't just make an exception for you..^-^; Because if they did, they would have to make any exception for everyone...

Anyway, I think Gaia is one of the less strict sites that I've ever come across and I love it to bits because of it. But it has to have some amount of strictness or else everyone would just run around doing whatever they darn well please and the place would just fall apart at the seams... gonk

Shy Gaian

It is really annoying, before I posted about a cartoon in the TV forum, but they moved it tio the cartoon forum and I can't find it anywhere!!! gonk
Glowing in the darknesS
Blocky123
stare no gaia isn't strict the rules are there because it really tries to maintain the website at a pg-13 level
yes I know but simple things ike stating opinions (about myself) were considered unacceptable. and they werent bad things or sexual either
You can state opinions on Gaia, as long as they (and anything else you post) don't violate the TOS. What on Earth could you possibly have said about yourself?? confused
Care to elaborate a bit? If it's valid, we can explain why you got in trouble for it.

@Tungska Butterfly
You posted a non discussion thread in the ED, when ED clearly says that in order for a thread to remain in the forum it must generate a heavily in depth discussion; I really don't think that asking people to PM you is influencing any sort of discussion or really anything in the thread.
Alternative to creating a thread (if you've posted a lot in the ED) you could put a notice in your sig to the EDers, might not work as much as can be hoped but at least people will see it and it can remain there without any problem.

The mod was only doing thier job, you don't have any reason to be angry with them, especially since you acknowledge that fact that the thread didn't belong there.

@SeXyMiLa
Gaia is an all around PG13 site; it will never have an adult 18+ section or anything like that. If you want something like that, there are plently of sites for it.
Quote:
They could like check ur account that ur 18 according to what u signed up with ur account.

Yeah, that'd work, because saying you're 18 or over on the internet actually does make you 18 or older. neutral

@Locasta
I agree with you, the trolls and hackers and spammers need to be drastically cut down a notch, but I don't agree with IP banning; my brother used to post s**t like that a few years ago (he doesn't anymore, and actually has his own servers and forums which he administrates and insta-bans spammers and trollers) and if he had stayed on Gaia and done anything like that and had gotten IP banned, I wouldn't be able to get on the site at my house, period.

Besides, there's always libraries and schools you can go to to get on Gaia; what happens if they're IP banned, eh?

Insta-banning should be inforced, especially for the Dr. Screwdriver accounts (Or whatever his name is; he has four or five accounts by the exact same name with roman numerals after it). The trolls in the GD are just awful. stare

@moonstar_hao
Look in the "Find your latest topics" on the index page, it should be listed.

4,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Compared to other large semi-official boards this place is paradise. Believe me, I've seen a fair share of them and I was stunned when I found out you could swear on here and to see the relative low amount of people being banned.
I think the TOS is great. It regulates the forums very well in my opinion. The posts I have gotten from mods are "your thread has been moved" and I just don't understand what you would have to do (cept be a complete a*****e and diss the mods and or admins) to get kicked off.
The funny part is when people are banned and they make a new account. Its hilarious! You know? The Admins/Mods banned them for a reason!

Magical Girl

14,900 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Full closet 200
Ugh, if you think Gaia is bad, try Neopets!

*hugs Gaia* gonk
I think Gaia is is very loose (sp?). I was only PMed once giving me a warning. I kinda told a guy to go on and commit suicide because he got annoying with his questions if he should live. xd
Gaia is pretty loose with language, even though you aren't entitled any sort of free speech over the internet. =3
If Gaia needs to do anything, it needs to inforce COPPA and ban all the kids who are under 13.
The TOS

Having said that, we do have guidelines that we expect our Users to follow. We urge our Users to keep the Content of the Forums and the Art Arena to a PG-13 level. Exceptions to this rule are made on a case-by-case basis to allow for artistic creativity and freedom of speech. These guidelines are enforced by moderators and administrators in each Forum and in the Art Arena. All judgement calls where the acceptability of Content comes into question are decided by the aforementioned moderators/administrators and may be subject to removal if found to be inappropriate or contrary to the ideals and rules put forth by GAIA Online. The failure of GAIA Online to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the TOS shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.

Cat

20,525 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Cool Cat 500
I think Gaia is very lax in its posting rules - which is fine. I don't believe in free speech, anyway, as it's too loose a term. Often free speech is used as an excuse to infringe on the emotional security of others (ie. bullying, racism, etc.) and the person who screams loudest that "their free speech is being restricted" is usually the one who should be taking an enforced break from the site.

I think the standard is improving somewhat, although I still see threads that degrade other people now and then, and nothing seems to be done about it.

So, uh, I would like the leash tightened in the areas I've outlined. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces