Welcome to Gaia! ::

Are Gaians closed-minded?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on April 15, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Why is so much of Gaia so closed-minded when it comes to stuff of a spiritual nature? I mean, I've seen posts about ghosts/poultergeists that people have started, and the first thing that I usually see in reply is "Pray". I see posts about someone having had a dream where they dream something, then it happens. First thing I usually see there is "Pray". I just recently saw a post about a blue dragon, and the main replies that I saw there were to either "pray" or "lay off the drugs".

Why is it that people on Gaia are so closed-minded as to not even take the time to consider that these are real issues? Why is it that people are so eager to bash the person that made that post, instead of actually trying to be polite enough to take the time to try to help them?

I will admit, I may not agree with everyone's postings out there, but I do at least listen to what they're saying, instead of just writing it off as the babbling of some mad man. To be honest, it really makes me feel sorry for this world, knowing that so many people have such closed minds. Have they all been brainwashed? Is there something "wrong" about going against the grain, or experiencing something that very few (if any) others can?

I really would like to know more about what's going on, and why so much of what I've seen here is answered the way it is.
I agree, alot of people on Gaia just dismiss unusall or things they don't believe in or have never witnessed, even I do it occasionally...sadly enough it's done by people frequently.
and unfortuatle since there are peopel from all over the word that use gaia, it show how prevelent close mindedness is in the world. so sad
Perhaps you're just being close-minded as well by not accepting the advice given. When people say they see things like a person's aura or a ghost, I would naturally be inclined to say that it was probably a hallucination, however brief of the mind. If someone were to tell me they heard the voice of God or saw an angel (I'm Christian, by the way), I would probably say the exact same thing.

Now, honestly, if something happens spiritually to you, you're allowed to believe whatever you want about it. If you really think God told you to do something to you or that ghosts exist, then you can ignore my advice. But I feel people also need to keep the possibility of a more earthly answer in mind in order to look at what happened from all sides and then judge whether it was something spiritual or not. You should not easily dismiss facts just so you can say you have something special.

I read a column in Dear Abby about this one time, where a boy saw poltergists, and the advisor told his grandmother to take him to a doctor. Abby got a lot of negative mail about how she wasn't considering the spirituality of the factor. However, I think her reply was most excellent.

She said it would be much more helpful for the boy to make sure he didn't have a disease first. If his grandmother had simply thought her grandson had a gift for seeing ghosts, and the kid really had a cancer of some sort, then the kid would've been dead. If the kid didn't have a disease, then the possibility of this being real becomes that much more better.
How is being close-minded a bad thing?

My argument: All spirituality exists solely inside the human mind. Any extension of spirituality outside the boundaries of the human mind is an illusion.

This means ghosts, spirits, God/gods, devils, dragons, witches, gremlins, angels, fairies, and all such things are not real. It also implies that the spirituality of normal things is a interpretation of the situation by the human mind, instead of an extraordinary property of the thing seen as spiritual.

Thus I am close-minded. I simply reject all things where what others have experienced does not match my reality. Who can say they do differently? Many spiritual people are close-minded when considering that there might not be any spirits.

When an open-minded person finds something that does not fit their reality, they consider it, think about it, then reject it. A close-minded person is just someone who has already considered and thought about a subject, and moved straight to rejection.
eek I really don't think gaians are close minded! I've been here for only a few days, but my first reflexion was: I've never seen a place where so many different people can talk about so many different subject without shouting at each others.
It is normal that some people disagree with others... That's why these forums are made. What the matters of a discussion if everybody think and say the same thing?
Why do you think D&D RP and anime RP is so popular here?
Magic is widely accepted. Except by realists, such as myself.
some people like to get notices, seek attention, so they get oppositional in discussions. they don't really have a position, they're just against whatever the first person happened to be in favor of.

some people do have very strong opinions and take it as their duty to correct those who differ with them. they cruise the discussions looking for controversy to join.

for reasonable debate and good behavior, i highly recommend the guilds.

Blessed Friend

While "lay off the drugs" sounds like a facetious remark, I think "pray" sounds like genuine and valid advice from somebody who considered your problem. It's ironic that you dismiss it so off-handedly as close-minded.
Jayden Kelvari
Why is so much of Gaia so closed-minded when it comes to stuff of a spiritual nature? I mean, I've seen posts about ghosts/poultergeists that people have started, and the first thing that I usually see in reply is "Pray". I see posts about someone having had a dream where they dream something, then it happens. First thing I usually see there is "Pray". I just recently saw a post about a blue dragon, and the main replies that I saw there were to either "pray" or "lay off the drugs".

Why is it that people on Gaia are so closed-minded as to not even take the time to consider that these are real issues? Why is it that people are so eager to bash the person that made that post, instead of actually trying to be polite enough to take the time to try to help them?

I will admit, I may not agree with everyone's postings out there, but I do at least listen to what they're saying, instead of just writing it off as the babbling of some mad man. To be honest, it really makes me feel sorry for this world, knowing that so many people have such closed minds. Have they all been brainwashed? Is there something "wrong" about going against the grain, or experiencing something that very few (if any) others can?

I really would like to know more about what's going on, and why so much of what I've seen here is answered the way it is.

(In referring to the "lay off the drugs" response)
It's because people on the internet can get away with saying and doing things they normally wouldn't do.

That's why a lot of people come off as assholes when responding to threads.

On another note, telling someone to pray isn't nessisarily being close-minded. It depends on the persons motives behind it.
Its only human nature to go against those who they beleive to have false opinions. Even though there is no such thing as a false opinion, considering an opinion is just that: an opinion. But anyway, most people aren't all that open about supernatural or spiritual things as some others are, so its natural that they'd scoff and speak before they think, simply because of thier own beleifs.
Everyone has the right to their own opinion, therefore I listen to what they say, consider the different possibilities/reasons behind it, and make my own opinion due to my beliefs, post that and different possibilities I may have thought of.

There have been some good points made already on this topic. But also sometimes some people either don't consider all possibilities, or they don't express their views on them, therefore making them seem closed-minded. Whereas others do, making them seem open-minded. Sometimes it all depends on how we view others.
Everyone has the right to their own beliefs, and own opinions...
And I totally believe if you're gonna post a reply when someone says they've seen a ghost, you need to think that it might really happen, 'cause if they don't, they are being closed-minded.
~*~*~
And about a lot of people being closed-minded on Gaia, it probably was perhaps how they were taught to be as a child. Or, they enjoy being unopened to most possibilities.
Okay, so I admit, I probably did go a little overboard when I mentioned those who give the advice of "pray." I have, however, had people go to the extreme of telling me that, in essence, Either I, or what I was doing, was evil. I've had it happen to me so many times, I guess, that I just got fed up with that sort of attitude, and sometimes fail to realize that they mean it in an encouraging way when they give the advice to pray. sweatdrop
You're forgetting people who did thinka bout it, and discardd it as not true.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff