Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was dicking around in my inventory and realized that I could make some approximation of what I look like in real life with items I already had. This was a little surprising to me because I think of the way I dress my avatar as unrealistic and clearly not what anyone would wear in real life, but I guess I hadn't realized that my real life fashion sense would creep into my virtual closet like that.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And in retrospect, it makes sense that my aesthetic (which is just kind of ruffle-y and dark) would be reflected in both closets, real and virtual, but I also know of many users that don't look like what their avatars look like at all.

Which brings me to my questions: which are you? How do you decide to dress your avatar, and does any aspect of your virtual self reflect your real-life self? If they're completely different, why is that? Etc., etc.

Bonus: make your real self and post it

x-Sunarin-x's Princess

Dangerous Hellhound

User Image

(I'm parading around as an OC so the gaia version is just an idea of how I normally dress my avatar)

When I first joined I tried really hard to dress my avatar how I actually dressed. I actually own everything on the right because of it.
(I was forever on a quest for a decent brown item hair and I found two that I like! So I bought them and own them even though the black terra twist is like a staple to my wardrobe).

Now I don't worry so much about it and actually play dressup and make my avatar look however makes me happy.

Werewolf

User ImageUser Image

...I see no difference.
Cythvera

Now I don't worry so much about it and actually play dressup and make my avatar look however makes me happy.

Yes, but I guess I was wondering more about how people's taste carried over into their virtual selves. For example, it looks like you tend to go for darker colours?

sterek

...I see no difference.

Looks the same to me

Unidentified Hobo

45,150 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Poltergeist Pulverizer 100
I am the polar opposite of my virtual fashion. I usually wear all black and a hoodie with colorful leggings or jeans with black boots, so I would say I never dress up unless it's a special occasion, compared to my loli avi, I would say I dress it according to my mood.

this is approximation of what I wear irl lol

x-Sunarin-x's Princess

Dangerous Hellhound

Chaotic Wishes
Cythvera

Yes, but I guess I was wondering more about how people's taste carried over into their virtual selves. For example, it looks like you tend to go for darker colours?

Yeah, I was about to edit my post with that.
A lot of what I own irl is black, so I like to accent a mostly black avatar with red or white or maybe some other colour.
I'm lazy IRL and I dislike clothes shopping for the most part, so 99% of the time it's just jeans, shirt or tank top and a jacket or cardigan. I kinda wish I had some fashion sense but...yeah, I don't and I feel like I'd look stupid if I tried to dress nicer emo

Sometimes I do dress my avi in pretty everyday clothes, kinda like what it is now, but then other times it's more like this:

User ImageUser Image

Edit: I guess I really just think of my avi as a dress up doll, occasionally I'll try to make it look like an OC or like a fan tribute of something? Idk? But, the rest of the time I'll dress it to my mood or according to items that I'd like to use. I don't wear bright colors IRL but I do have some primarily pastel/neon color themed avies.

mskeaton1's Wife

LoliPop Princess

40,850 Points
  • Candyland Heaven 500
  • Loli Pop Treasure Hunter 500
User Image This is pretty close to what I look like in real life, so obviously my avatar has no connection and I like it that way. To me, places like Gaia are all about fantasy and escapism.
sizigi
I am the polar opposite of my virtual fashion. I usually wear all black and a hoodie with colorful leggings or jeans with black boots, so I would say I never dress up unless it's a special occasion, compared to my loli avi, I would say I dress it according to my mood.

Yeah, I guess it's not really practical to dress super kawaii all the time. Do you gravitate towards other cute stuff in daily life, though?

Cythvera
Chaotic Wishes
Cythvera

Yeah, I was about to edit my post with that.
A lot of what I own irl is black, so I like to accent a mostly black avatar with red or white or maybe some other colour.

I'm basically exactly the same, haha. Like, "Well, it's going to a black outfit, but let's get super adventurous with accent colours"

Madam Ace's Compadre

Shady Man-Lover

Um......

Currently looking exactly the same /sweats
I just need more moles on my face rofl
I have dressing as myself though. With those bangs I can do anything o Ao

Unidentified Hobo

45,150 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Poltergeist Pulverizer 100
Chaotic Wishes
sizigi

Yeah, I guess it's not really practical to dress super kawaii all the time. Do you gravitate towards other cute stuff in daily life, though?

I guess I always gravitate towards cute stuff, and I'm shy and cheerful despite dressing in black all the time and a semi-permanent scowl on my face....I always wish I could dress super kawaii like my avi, but it wouldn't really be practical irl. lol My avi is more of a large reflection of my innards. surprised

IRL Guest

This is probably close except my hair is super black.

My gaia and irl fashion don't really collide since my avis are generally fantasy-ish. On Gaia is where I like to make those weird, unconventional outfits. emotion_kirakira

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100

User ImageUser Image

I mean, you can't tell the difference right? emotion_awesome

My hair's a bit straighter than that, but that sort of messy waist length plait is very me. I love bright colours IRL too, but I definitely wear less white (it gets so dirty) and while my taste in clothing tends to feminine, it still has less frills and ridiculous layering than my Gaia clothing. I credit Gaia with my increased affection for accessorising though.

Queen_Nyssa's Waifu

Biggest Anubutt

19,850 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Survivor 150
User ImageUser Image

★·.·´¯`·.·★ тнerapy ιѕ ѕpeedιe'ѕ вrand new drυg, dancιng wιтн тнe devιl'ѕ paѕт нaѕ never вeen тoo ғυn ★·.·´¯`·.·★

Hey, good topic. You see me virtually- all demony badassery. Fangs, horns- nothing like anyone could possibly look on Earth without lots of money and surgery. Of course I can't look anything similar to that IRL xD I basically fashion my avatar after my character's adventures I daydream about when I'm bored.

Me, IRL, though... ehh super casual, sweater and tank top type of girl. Sometimes I wear T-shirts, but rarely. Usually in jammies, but when I'm not its like this:
User ImageUser Image

★·.·´¯`·.·★ ιт'ѕ вeттer oғғ тнan тryιng тo тaĸe a вυlleт ғroм a gυn and ѕнe crιeѕ: нey вaвy can yoυ вleed lιĸe мe? ★·.·´¯`·.·★

Inuyasha's Fangirl

Rainbow Goddess

31,215 Points
  • Let There Be Color 500
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Market Browser 100
I normally dress like this: http://prntscr.com/5parx9
But my avatar normally looks like this: http://prntscr.com/5pasem

Basically, I try to make my avatar look similar to me, just more color coordinated lol.

I do enjoy making fantasy-type avatars too. This used to be my default for the longest time: http://prntscr.com/5pat77

Whenever new items come out, if I like it, I'll make an outfit that coordinates with it. But I've been playing around with the same face and hair cause I love the combo haha. I seriously adore Brilliant Maiden Style hair

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff