Welcome to Gaia! ::

Smitten Businessman

I feel bad for saying it, but I'm skeptical. I think AtA responses from Lanzer are best taken with a grain of salt.

The site code generally works well, but staff seem like they just can't get it together to get the games and virtual spaces safe and working smoothly. And these are integral parts of the Gaia experience for many users. In the case of older features it may have something to do with old code being hard to decipher (and it can be). But the truth is that after zOMG, I have very little faith in the company's ability to maintain existing features that work reliably, let alone roll out new stuff. To me, the failure of zOMG to move from what was ostensibly a testing phase to a complete, working gaming experience was just more of the same, but with higher financial stakes. If the staff couldn't come through with a feature when so many resources were involved, I can't work up much in the way of expectations for future features where the stakes are smaller.

I don't think this has anything to do with the skills of the individual members of the coding team; rather, I suspect it's a problem of mismanagement, where huge projects are foisted on single team members, and getting the new hotness pushed out forever takes priority over creating a reliable set of site features that function and interact in sensible ways. And repeated staff purges really aren't helping. Skilled programmers can piece together the meaning of code written by other programmers, sure, but it's so much faster having the originator of a game or site feature on staff to maintain it. With each new round of staff shorn away from the site, we lose more and more people who are familiar with its internal workings, and it gets more and more difficult and time-intensive for those who remain to keep code written over a decade ago in working order.

This sounds a bit like doom and gloom. I don't mean for it to-- I mainly want to express my uncertainty. After these recent posts from admins about the "new" direction of the site, I feel like I have less of an idea than ever what to expect in the future.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I wanted to make a topic about this, but didn';t because I don't have enough time. GOOD GOING!

I dunno!

I think this could be a really positive thing. Maybe they realized how much we matter more than facebook.

I'm feeling relatively hopeful. We'll see, though.

Demonic Abomination

40,775 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Battle: Level 10 250
Meromictic

I dunno. We get achievements for the events we do in the forums. So it wouldn't be much different than that.

Seems kinda shitty though to give an achievement for something that was only available for a short time before achievements even existed.

Green Gaian

idleRAT
Maggot
I just want to see the facial hair system finally become a reality since they're focusing on the site. emotion_donotwant

Seeing Lanzer's responses to you in AtA, I'm pretty sure he thinks you just really want him to grow a beard lol That would be a cool feature though.

He use to give me serious answers, but I've been at this so long it has turned into a joke. emo
I'm glad they admitted to not paying attention to the site. rolleyes

azphyxxxiate's Girlfriend

Spoopy Bat

Much like how when a couple months ago it was mentioned that we would be getting that snazzy new inventory arranger "soon", I'll believe it when I see it.

Casrial's Bae

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Zeroah

Wait.

They have a website?

Casrial's Bae

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
b e a r y t o r t e
Much like how when a couple months ago it was mentioned that we would be getting that snazzy new inventory arranger "soon", I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't remember them saying it was going to be soon. From what I remember we were just shown the idea of what they wanted to do and that they were still working on creating it.

I asked about it last night and its going pretty well.

Link

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
The new inventory arranger looks overly complicated and bad >.< I'm really NOT looking forward to it at all... in fact as someone with a gigantic and very carefully arranged inventory I'm kind of dreading it.

Casrial's Bae

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Lazarus Larkin
The new inventory arranger looks overly complicated and bad >.< I'm really NOT looking forward to it at all... in fact as someone with a gigantic and very carefully arranged inventory I'm kind of dreading it.

That is kind of my feels on it.

And I hate that we're going to have to pay for extra organization. :|
Meromictic
Zeroah

Wait.

They have a website?
Lol, Site as in Gaia
Waltzkrieg
I feel bad for saying it, but I'm skeptical. I think AtA responses from Lanzer are best taken with a grain of salt.

The site code generally works well, but staff seem like they just can't get it together to get the games and virtual spaces safe and working smoothly. And these are integral parts of the Gaia experience for many users. In the case of older features it may have something to do with old code being hard to decipher (and it can be). But the truth is that after zOMG, I have very little faith in the company's ability to maintain existing features that work reliably, let alone roll out new stuff. To me, the failure of zOMG to move from what was ostensibly a testing phase to a complete, working gaming experience was just more of the same, but with higher financial stakes. If the staff couldn't come through with a feature when so many resources were involved, I can't work up much in the way of expectations for future features where the stakes are smaller.

I don't think this has anything to do with the skills of the individual members of the coding team; rather, I suspect it's a problem of mismanagement, where huge projects are foisted on single team members, and getting the new hotness pushed out forever takes priority over creating a reliable set of site features that function and interact in sensible ways. And repeated staff purges really aren't helping. Skilled programmers can piece together the meaning of code written by other programmers, sure, but it's so much faster having the originator of a game or site feature on staff to maintain it. With each new round of staff shorn away from the site, we lose more and more people who are familiar with its internal workings, and it gets more and more difficult and time-intensive for those who remain to keep code written over a decade ago in working order.

This sounds a bit like doom and gloom. I don't mean for it to-- I mainly want to express my uncertainty. After these recent posts from admins about the "new" direction of the site, I feel like I have less of an idea than ever what to expect in the future.
You can also blame us for a part of zOMG's failure. We rushed it, wanted it for soo long.

Casrial's Bae

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Zeroah
Meromictic
Zeroah

Wait.

They have a website?
Lol, Site as in Gaia

I was making a joke XD
Meromictic
Zeroah
Meromictic
Zeroah

Wait.

They have a website?
Lol, Site as in Gaia

I was making a joke XD
sweatdrop Yeaaa!! I knew that!! I was just er... Clearing it up for those who didn't get it

Retro Punk

tip for zomg achievements. Although , badges could be said are achievements. It would be could to see achivements for zomg though. But would they be retro active? i don't think so. Would they be kill counters ? Nope. Login counters? maybe?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff