Welcome to Gaia! ::

Heart Tamer

Morgue
Gash Thrashum
Licornia
while I understand the sentiment of WANTING the gold gens to be nerfed, it's still bad business practice to nerf it this much without mentioning.

I find it in bad taste to call other users entitled and spoiled just because they bought those gold gens. So what? It's their choice and they got screwed over bigtime with this.

This is a bad business practice I might be able to support if it deters people from buying future gold generators. I have much more sympathy for the majority of Gaians who are dealt a shitty hand at the expense of gold generators being made available and ultimately purchased/opened. Look at this.

User Image

See that sudden, incredibly large spike towards the latter half of 2014? That was a result of Gaia staff making absurdly high purchases on the MP including a ticket for 133 trillion gold, hence "133TGATE" being coined (hah). That was a big deal when it happened and so large that it was difficult not to notice, especially with how it impacted market prices. Now, look at the last couple of months. What do you notice? Not only has the MP revenue surpassed that, but it's being surpassed on a regular basis! That is worrying. You know what else is worrying? I made a thread about this when I first noticed it back in December, and I had a staff member come into my thread (almost instantly) to express bewilderment over it. In fact, it seemed so bizarre to them, that they said they would investigate it. I'm not blaming staff of course since I have no proof of anything, but there was a gold generator (Walk in the Woods) released at the time that was handing out large amounts of gold regularly.

Actually, looking back at that thread I just linked, it's curious to see bluealaris deleted their post. Also, to bring it back on topic, I was notified by a user that this specific gold generator had been "nerfed" after I made the topic, just like this one seems to have been. You can come to your own conclusion here, since there are a few possibilities—the most benign possibility being that they've made mistakes with the average payouts and have had to go back and adjust them. It's clear however, that they're being mismanaged at the very least.

We had a relatively calm period after the 133TGATE fiasco where the market settled down a good deal and things stabilized, but what was working to help the economy recover is clearly no longer at play now.

We need better gold sinks, regular ones that are consistently updated. That's part of the problem. Aside from that, I have a huge problem with that sneaky behavior.

Gold shop gold gens (for those who can't resist the gamble, works as a sink), gold sink events that aren't coupled with a GC gold generator (the gold generator ironically puts in more gold than the sink removes, so it's rendered useless), gold shop limited items with a 50+ billion price tag in Dernier Cri and Flynn's Plunder as a means to remove gold from the economy with high priced items such as A. Halos and project tickets. They CANNOT be halos and tickets that already exist on the site, however, as that would be pointless and we saw what happened the last time. They can easily remove large chunks of gold from the rich by putting tickets up for bid. One issue with regular gold sinks is that they don't specifically target wealthy users, so the gap isn't closed between classes. With Flynn's Plunder, you can specifically target rich users.

Menstrual Cramps's Partner In Crime

Fashionista

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Better yet, just stop releasing them altogether.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Green Smoker

Gash Thrashum
Morgue
Gash Thrashum
Licornia
while I understand the sentiment of WANTING the gold gens to be nerfed, it's still bad business practice to nerf it this much without mentioning.

I find it in bad taste to call other users entitled and spoiled just because they bought those gold gens. So what? It's their choice and they got screwed over bigtime with this.

This is a bad business practice I might be able to support if it deters people from buying future gold generators. I have much more sympathy for the majority of Gaians who are dealt a shitty hand at the expense of gold generators being made available and ultimately purchased/opened. Look at this.

User Image

See that sudden, incredibly large spike towards the latter half of 2014? That was a result of Gaia staff making absurdly high purchases on the MP including a ticket for 133 trillion gold, hence "133TGATE" being coined (hah). That was a big deal when it happened and so large that it was difficult not to notice, especially with how it impacted market prices. Now, look at the last couple of months. What do you notice? Not only has the MP revenue surpassed that, but it's being surpassed on a regular basis! That is worrying. You know what else is worrying? I made a thread about this when I first noticed it back in December, and I had a staff member come into my thread (almost instantly) to express bewilderment over it. In fact, it seemed so bizarre to them, that they said they would investigate it. I'm not blaming staff of course since I have no proof of anything, but there was a gold generator (Walk in the Woods) released at the time that was handing out large amounts of gold regularly.

Actually, looking back at that thread I just linked, it's curious to see bluealaris deleted their post. Also, to bring it back on topic, I was notified by a user that this specific gold generator had been "nerfed" after I made the topic, just like this one seems to have been. You can come to your own conclusion here, since there are a few possibilities—the most benign possibility being that they've made mistakes with the average payouts and have had to go back and adjust them. It's clear however, that they're being mismanaged at the very least.

We had a relatively calm period after the 133TGATE fiasco where the market settled down a good deal and things stabilized, but what was working to help the economy recover is clearly no longer at play now.

We need better gold sinks, regular ones that are consistently updated. That's part of the problem. Aside from that, I have a huge problem with that sneaky behavior.

Gold shop gold gens (for those who can't resist the gamble, works as a sink), gold sink events that aren't coupled with a GC gold generator (the gold generator ironically puts in more gold than the sink removes, so it's rendered useless), gold shop limited items with a 50+ billion price tag in Dernier Cri and Flynn's Plunder as a means to remove gold from the economy with high priced items such as A. Halos and project tickets. They CANNOT be halos and tickets that already exist on the site, however, as that would be pointless and we saw what happened the last time. They can easily remove large chunks of gold from the rich by putting tickets up for bid. One issue with regular gold sinks is that they don't specifically target wealthy users, so the gap isn't closed between classes. With Flynn's Plunder, you can specifically target rich users.

I'm all for gold shop item gens. The problem is that they prioritize creating content that gives the site monetary income instead of removing virtual income. They need to find balance & create sinks that can be utilized by all Gaians with all different gold spending budgets. I have my doubts that they will go about doing that properly. Gaia has a tendency to put out features and then ignore them or get rid of them if they're not immediately convenient or successful for them to run. Alchemy could have been something great if they worked on it a little bit instead of just dropping it & leaving it for dead.

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Shannon-Jeva
The Iron Magus
Squirrelette
i spent 650bil on an 100pk, assuming they were the same so i would make back everything plus profit as i did in the past with them.... no

im ********
i was over a tril
and now im at 687bil
and honestly if im not over 1tril i dont even feel like being on here... its depressing
if i would have had a warning i wouldnt have got them

******** you again Gaia.

rofl AHAHAHAHAHA
Hashtag first world problems
Holy CRAP you sound like a spoiled little rich girl. lol

I've never even had a trillion in pure... I consider myself lucky if I'm in the tens of billions.
But by all means, if you "don't even feel like being on here"... I will gladly take that meager 687 bil off your hands. emotion_awesome

"I'm not rich so I don't wanna be here"

LOL.

Honestly, even though I only have a fraction of what she apparently considers "poor," I feel pretty rich. I have lots of really gorgeous items that I never could have dreamed of back when I was a newbie, and I have enough spare cash around to buy SEVERAL low-tier items, or even a mid-tier item that catches my eye (making up tiers on the spot, here). So I feel pretty good. 3nodding

IRL Labtech

The Iron Magus
Shannon-Jeva
The Iron Magus
Squirrelette
i spent 650bil on an 100pk, assuming they were the same so i would make back everything plus profit as i did in the past with them.... no

im ********
i was over a tril
and now im at 687bil
and honestly if im not over 1tril i dont even feel like being on here... its depressing

******** you again Gaia.

rofl AHAHAHAHAHA

I've never even had a trillion in pure... I consider myself lucky if I'm in the tens of billions.
But by all means, if you "don't even feel like being on here"... I will gladly take that meager 687 bil off your hands. emotion_awesome

"I'm not rich so I don't wanna be here"

LOL.

Honestly, even though I only have a fraction of what she apparently considers "poor," I feel pretty rich. I have lots of really gorgeous items that I never could have dreamed of back when I was a newbie, and I have enough spare cash around to buy SEVERAL low-tier items, or even a mid-tier item that catches my eye (making up tiers on the spot, here). So I feel pretty good. 3nodding

It's sad that me having ~150b is almost considered "poor" nowadays. People have trillions and I still can't imagine having that much. I like some of those really expensive items, but also love some "cheaper" items. If i can make what I think is a nice avi with "cheap" items, hey, I'm super happy.

Vicious Brawler

19,975 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
Morgue
I'm all for gold shop item gens. The problem is that they prioritize creating content that gives the site monetary income instead of removing virtual income. They need to find balance & create sinks that can be utilized by all Gaians with all different gold spending budgets.

I actually vehemently disagree with this.

It's not the 13-year-old that can only Booty Grab (or even the 19-year-old college student) that's driving up prices. It's really wealthier users. It's the ones that don't see a huge difference between 40m and 80m. Or 40b and 80b.

People think that if you remove a little gold from everyone's account, that'll go a ways to fixing the economy. That's BS - I think that what's needed is to increase parity. No one would be as upset about inflation as they are if it weren't for inequality.

That said, allowing everyone to participate is a great idea. But you still want to really soak the rich users (like...um...like me, I guess), but leave the less wealthy ones largely unscathed.

(And I'm sorry for calling you out specifically - it's just that this is an argument I've seen time and time again, and while I think it's well-meaning, I also think it's wrong.

Quote:
I have my doubts that they will go about doing that properly. Gaia has a tendency to put out features and then ignore them or get rid of them if they're not immediately convenient or successful for them to run. Alchemy could have been something great if they worked on it a little bit instead of just dropping it & leaving it for dead.

You could say that about basically anything Gaia's done, though. Even zOMG!.

I also lack faith, but...hey, it's a starting point.

Inuyasha's Fangirl

Rainbow Goddess

31,215 Points
  • Let There Be Color 500
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Market Browser 100
âťť
He said someday I'll make a difference, but everyday should be that day
âťž

Everything sort've nerfs after the first day. Pretty sure you get crappier items from item RIGs too after the first day. Or it could just be me

In a relationship with a fleshlight

Ladykiller

So I guess the nerfed gold was a glitch?

Relentless Glitch

Six Mekhane
I don't quite buy the explanation. There was a precedent last year.

Ladykiller

Dalia Royce
Six Mekhane

I thought when they said they were going to change it last year, it was just adding the charms option so there would technically be no such thing as a "pure" gold gen (because I remember that getting a lot of complaints.)

Although I haven't been keeping up with gold gens, so I wouldn't know their payout trend.

Relentless Glitch

Six Mekhane
Dalia Royce
Six Mekhane

I thought when they said they were going to change it last year, it was just adding the charms option so there would technically be no such thing as a "pure" gold gen (because I remember that getting a lot of complaints.)

Although I haven't been keeping up with gold gens, so I wouldn't know their payout trend.
I was always bothered by Gaia's consistency with their marketing.

Heart Tamer

Six Mekhane

That's the official explanation, but I doubt it was a glitch. It's only a "glitch" because enough people were making noise this time. They should really reconsider releasing gold gens that give out high average payouts in the first place since it's clear they won't do away with them permanently. Honestly though, they're going to appease those who give them cash. There are a significant number of people invested in their gold generators, though it's a quiet segment so it doesn't appear to be prevalent on the surface. These users demand higher and higher payouts as the hyperinflation gets worse, so in order to get sales, Gaia increases the average payouts. It's a vicious cycle once it gets going. If they would simply stabilize the market and sink a ton of gold using the methods I previously outlined, the payouts wouldn't need to be as high. They can slowly bring the market back down while sparingly selling gold generators if they repeat these steps.

If you buy into the "glitch" explanation, that should be worrying, too. If their gold generators can easily glitch to that extent, just imagine the reverse happening where it's a huge increase in gold payouts. What gold gen user is going to complain about that? It would go unchecked for much longer periods of time and you can say hello to hyper (hyper) hyperinflation x2 super ultimate edition like you've been transported back to the Weimar Republic.

Mysterious Trickster

Slick Southpaw
Gash Thrashum
They haven't nerfed them enough. The economy is in the worst state it's ever been.

I'd consider them nerfed if they didn't give any gold 3nodding

booby prizes!

Only if they were actual boobies.
I'm talking about the bird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booby

Doctor Pines's Queen

Thylacine Friend

14,100 Points
  • De-Extinctionist 500
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Cool Cat 500
The Iron Magus
Squirrelette

im ********
i was over a tril
and now im at 687bil

******** you again Gaia.

rofl AHAHAHAHAHA

...you sound nice.

Look, losing a third of your gold isn't fun for anyone, although I must that I don't get buying and selling gold gens for GOLD. Why would you do that? but that's what happened here. Lesson learned, if you buy them, don't buy or open them when they are on sale. No need to be rude, this person didn't buy it from the cash shop so the inflation was already gonna happen no matter who opened it.

You sound like one of those people who thinks being critical of someone's prices and begging for ABP when they're already the lowest in the market is a good way to get someone to do you a favour and lower it.

Ladykiller

Gash Thrashum
Six Mekhane

That's the official explanation, but I doubt it was a glitch. It's only a "glitch" because enough people were making noise this time. They should really reconsider releasing gold gens that give out high average payouts in the first place since it's clear they won't do away with them permanently. Honestly though, they're going to appease those who give them cash. There are a significant number of people invested in their gold generators, though it's a quiet segment so it doesn't appear to be prevalent on the surface. These users demand higher and higher payouts as the hyperinflation gets worse, so in order to get sales, Gaia increases the average payouts. It's a vicious cycle once it gets going. If they would simply stabilize the market and sink a ton of gold using the methods I previously outlined, the payouts wouldn't need to be as high. They can slowly bring the market back down while sparingly selling gold generators if they repeat these steps.

If you buy into the "glitch" explanation, that should be worrying, too. If their gold generators can easily glitch to that extent, just imagine the reverse happening where it's a huge increase in gold payouts. What gold gen user is going to complain about that? It would go unchecked for much longer periods of time and you can say hello to hyper (hyper) hyperinflation x2 super ultimate edition like you've been transported back to the Weimar Republic.

I'm not much for conspiracy theories. With Gaia's track record, a glitch is completely plausible.

If the gold gens were ever to glitch bad enough where they're spitting out 10T every hit, I think there's enough anti-goldgen crusaders in the GCD and SF forums to make sure that Gaia (users and staff) doesn't get away with it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff