Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Lunatic

Did the market ever fall out on gaia? I am looking over how much money I have made on the MP and how much I am worth. And the differences is a huge number. Just over a dozen mill. Now I buy and sell on whims, not much of a player and I know things do depreciate, for example my 2mil dream avi from 06 is now worth 200k, but I was wondering if there had been a big crash at some point or if was just general gradual depreciation. Does anyone keeps track of these things? Just curious.

SuccuViv's Bae

No real depreciation - just that devs keep making more and more rare rigs that drop one-purpose items every month. The demand for items now is hundreds higher than the demand for a 2006 dream avatar.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
There's also RIG stuff that gets rereleased in later RIGs and loses value like crazy. (I once sold a Bonne Fire for 900k, and now they're worth like 30k, haha.)

Dapper Lunatic

Well a lack of demand is depreciation. I was just wondering if it was all gradual or not, So I take it was. I left the site for a few years :3

Assimilated Survivor

You also have to remember that the MP number includes both what you buy and sell. 3nodding But yes I have noticed that our community has increasingly instantly dropped demand in anything that isn't trending anymore. So many items drop like a rock out of nowhere sometimes, it's crazy. xd

Loyal Spirit

14,550 Points
  • Party Animal 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Senpai's Notice 100
I guess the "gold bars" of Gaia would be 03 collectables...

Dapper Lunatic

AHA! It is the rig stuff I bought that dropped like bricks. Huh. Weird. Thanks guys <3

Gaian economy lessons learned.

Barton Gaian

16,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
During the first Black Friday sale in 2011, the items that were sold in the Black Friday market dropped in price like rocks. I wasn't around for Black Friday 2012, but I'm sure a similar thing happened.

Very popular items that see Cash Shop re-colors tend to suffer a drop in price afterwards. You will also see this if an item is desired for one particular pose, and a new (cheaper) item is available with an almost identical pose - that happens a bit more rarely, though, as the specific poses are not as well known and we don't have as many poses that can't be duplicated with other items.

Cheery Scrooge

13,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
JujuJubilee
You also have to remember that the MP number includes both what you buy and sell. 3nodding
User Image

I pretty sure that it only includes what you sell. o.o
~King Awesome

Tricky Cat

King Awesomolocity
JujuJubilee
You also have to remember that the MP number includes both what you buy and sell. 3nodding
User Image

~King Awesome

I think he means this kind of example:
You have 500k.
You have earned this from grabbing booty.
You buy a SDPlus Lapin Lequesne for 250k.
Your account worth is 500k - you have 250k in the doll and 250k in cash.
You then sell the doll later for 250k.
Your account worth may be 500k, but the market shows you at +250k.

rinse and repeat, over time you'll get mis-matchy numbers

For example, my shop shows me being worth 96,682,951, where tektek says I'm around 50mil.

Cheery Scrooge

13,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Lapin Lequesne
King Awesomolocity
JujuJubilee
User Image

~King Awesome

You have 500k.

For example, my shop shows me being worth 96,682,951, where tektek says I'm around 50mil.
User Image

If that's the case, then I understand. Same as how my store has 180m in sales, but...I'm worth 30m. xD
~King Awesome

Dapper Lunatic

Lapin Lequesne
King Awesomolocity
JujuJubilee
User Image

~King Awesome

You have 500k.

That makes a lot more sense! So Loss should be measured by shop sold number minus current worth then? My difference was is a 55% decrease in the number of millions. Like its just a massive gap imo. That quirk in mathmatics explains it a lot better than the depreciation of my items. (To be honest I'm not shook up. I am the doofus who sold her ancient katana for 100g. hehe)

Ruthless Shapeshifter

User Image

It all falls down the fact that the RIGs has been releasing
very awesome quality items in much rarer quantities
than items of ye gone years past.

Those MCs that used to drive you nuts in questing?
Mostly are worth nothing now. >>;

Only the '03 staples and some some '04s have kept
their values. Being the Minis, the Horns, Scarves...
as well as the ports/DJs. Everything else is so-so.

User Image

Stellar Succubus

Einrick
During the first Black Friday sale in 2011, the items that were sold in the Black Friday market dropped in price like rocks. I wasn't around for Black Friday 2012, but I'm sure a similar thing happened.

Very popular items that see Cash Shop re-colors tend to suffer a drop in price afterwards. You will also see this if an item is desired for one particular pose, and a new (cheaper) item is available with an almost identical pose - that happens a bit more rarely, though, as the specific poses are not as well known and we don't have as many poses that can't be duplicated with other items.

I bought a Gaia Sama in the Black Friday '13 sale, which was selling for around 8-9m at the time, and never really took a dip. It's gone up in price to over 11m at times.

The year before, the kitten star tanked in price and I managed to sell mine at 5mil. But I bought a Keido as well that has kept over 3mil and didn't really go down at all.

Guess it depended on the item bought at the sale.

I think an item's popularity can still keep it afloat, but if it is popular enough that so many people buy them in that sale, and is the kind of item that will drop in price later on because it's kind of gimmicky (the rig pets are one I can think of) then it'll generally drop, I think.

These days too, I think the drop in price of older items has to do with newer shinies being released, and that older items get re-released in rigs, too.
Lol, I remember when kiki's were 15k..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces