Welcome to Gaia! ::

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50
Ha, yes, I do know there are other threads, with their two sentence Ops, thank you for pointing that out to me, though. Had I not known, it might have been helpful.

Those other threads were asking the question, and I am giving the answer. Gaia is dying.

'Now, Rom,' you say, 'you haven't beeen here in a while, of course you think it is.'

I have been signing in on a mule, checking updates, not making many posts though. I've got a towns 2 home in Durem, and honestly it wasn't worth waiting 6(?) years for. Even though I had a petition for it.

Really, though, I think Gaia started to die a long time ago. Think about it, the main draw of Gaia was the expectation for the future that a lot of people had. I know the main draw for me was the hope of the battle system. Originally, that's what drove the cost of the Katana, people thought it was for the Battle System we were supposed to have, it would be coming out soon after it's release. You'll remember the battle system was in talks since 2004. When zOMG came out, I really think that was the beginning of the end, the beginning of what led to now, Gaia's wrestle with it's death throes.

Gaia has been through the change of a number of CEOs over the years as it sought more experienced leaders capable of maximizing and capitalizing on it's growth, which isn't something anyone should question. Over time less and less actual information was passed between this company and it's core consumer base, which led the community to find information, this being the GCD, we were always more than capable of doing.

The current CEO seems to be attempting to maximize profit revenue from absolutely everything. This is no longer a simple forum, it's a bombardment of advertisements and payment plans to continue a virtual consumer addiction. There's nothing wrong with this in it's simplicity, but in the manner of what has been done in order to increase profits.

Right now I'm looking at an orange button telling me that I can 'promote my post' for the very low cost of $1 which almost reminds me of an earlier thread I had made about clicking a cow. My question is, is who the hell actually wanted this? Did anyone? Why would anyone use this? To show others that you have the RL money to waste on adding a skin to your threads title in the forum screen?

But, that's not all. You have, I am assured, been attacked by dozens, or well, let's be serious, no one reads this forum anymore, probably 5 threads about them re-releasing the halo.

See, Gaia says they aren't breaking their word because it's not a mass re-release, and it was for an astronomical price...

I'm not going to worry about whether Gaia's breaking their word (they did. they knew what they were doing.) I'm wondering, why did Gaia need to?

Gaia's a pretty large site, and honestly, there might have been as many as 20 people willing to pay $1,000 to be ultra-rich, they probably spend similiar amounts monthly/quarterly anyway, though, right?

Maybe not, though, because if Gaia needed to re-release the Halo they must be desperate for money, which leads me to another point...

You guys have been paying attention, how many firings have there been? How about hirings?

They always seem to be letting people go, like a plane trying to lose weight to stay afloat. That's a pretty good analogy, I think.

EDIT: There's a thread asking if people still buy art. Seriously?

So, what are you going to do, 2/3-ish years from now when Gaia closes down?
When do you think Gaia started to die?
As always, tell my why I'm wrong

Angelic Nitemare

I'll be here till the lights go out, Rom. You know me enough to know that.

And yeah, I've noticed the same things you have. But then I remember there is very little I can do about it.

So I get my two envelopes and 5 buck EI every month, to show my respect for the friends I have made here, and the memories I have made. And let's face it, ten bucks here or ten bucks at a movie? I'll enjoy this place more, for however long it stands. Be it 10 years or ten days.

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

If they released the halo out of being desperate for money, why would they not have just made it stay longer in the cashshop? It was there at random times for a short time. If they really needed to pump money from it they would of just left it there for the whole sale without removing it.

Plus it was the 10th year anniversary for the halo, I kinda see that as a big enough reason to want to re-release it. There aren't many either and it is something that a lot of people have asked for over the years. Companies to tend to hold sales to fork in extra money, just business really.

I don't think any user can fully say if gaia is dying for sure or not. Sure somethings might seem a bit slower in some areas but we don't know how well they are doing financially (yes there were layoffs but there are times when companies need to downsize when things hit them hard). My point short is though that unless we see posts rarely ever being made in any forum, and hardly any activity at all, I don't think we can be so certain about how long it may be around.

There have been threads as far back as 2005 (or more) saying gaia would shut down in 1-4 years, and yet here it is still going.

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50
Jin Love
If they released the halo out of being desperate for money, why would they not have just made it stay longer in the cashshop? It was there at random times for a short time. If they really needed to pump money from it they would of just left it there for the whole sale without removing it.

Plus it was the 10th year anniversary for the halo, I kinda see that as a big enough reason to want to re-release it. There aren't many either and it is something that a lot of people have asked for over the years. Companies to tend to hold sales to fork in extra money, just business really.

I don't think any user can fully say if gaia is dying for sure or not. Sure somethings might seem a bit slower in some areas but we don't know how well they are doing financially (yes there were layoffs but there are times when companies need to downsize when things hit them hard). My point short is though that unless we see posts rarely ever being made in any forum, and hardly any activity at all, I don't think we can be so certain about how long it may be around.

There have been threads as far back as 2005 (or more) saying gaia would shut down in 1-4 years, and yet here it is still going.

That'sthe thing though, I don't really remember users asking for it. They wanted them, but that was because it was a status symbol. The ultimate quest, the I only knew 4 users who had one kind of special. They didn't need to re-release it, people are perfectly happy buying new RIGs every month, new bundles, recolored EIs, etc. There really shouldn't be any reason that there were summer sales to begin with, theoretically, they shouldn't need it.

But, the thing is, the forums are slow. This thread went 12 minutes before it got a single reply. Spam threads used to get 10 posts in 5 minutes by people telling them not to spam, at 3 AM.

The GCD is so slow now that a snail is a poor metaphor for it. It needed it's oil changed 20 years ago and now the engine is seized. Even the CB is slow compared to how it used to be. Rally is even dead.

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

ROMVLVS
Jin Love

That'sthe thing though, I don't really remember users asking for it. They wanted them, but that was because it was a status symbol. The ultimate quest, the I only knew 4 users who had one kind of special. They didn't need to re-release it, people are perfectly happy buying new RIGs every month, new bundles, recolored EIs, etc. There really shouldn't be any reason that there were summer sales to begin with, theoretically, they shouldn't need it.

But, the thing is, the forums are slow. This thread went 12 minutes before it got a single reply. Spam threads used to get 10 posts in 5 minutes by people telling them not to spam, at 3 AM.

The GCD is so slow now that a snail is a poor metaphor for it. It needed it's oil changed 20 years ago and now the engine is seized. Even the CB is slow compared to how it used to be. Rally is even dead.
I've been a regular in SF since I joined, I haven't seen it much this year but before I would see a lot of threads asking about re-relasing older MCs, sometimes asking for all the older ones or just the halo. Whether you remember or not, it's not an idea that hasn't been brought but a few times.

All businesses whether we like it or not will do things to make extra money, and re-releasing older items does make the users who wanted them happy. Not everyone is happy with RIGs, it's all just a matter of opinion really. But the point is, if it will sell well or if they can have any sale to bring in anymore cash then they will do it, they can;t please everyone.

I do agree that the GCD is slower, why? I couldn't say for sure, could be the lack of interest in the manga or as you've said gaia is dying. I just don't think that's something someone who doesn't know everything that's going on at gaia HQ can answer.

I played an online game for many years, the population died down at times but it was mostly always packed and I'd see tons of items (cash ones) being sold. It shut down without any warning or big signs. Why? The company wanted to work on other games. Point is, even if gaia is doing better than ever it could shut down simply because they just didn't want to work on it anymore or that they wanted to work on other things. That being said, it's why I don't think anyone could say when because there's just no way in knowing that fully.

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50
During 'prime time' the time that most Americans are relaxing, in the past one ofthe more active periods on Gaia, for close to 10 minutes this thread got 0 replies and yet only 4 threads are higher than it in the GCD.

I can only extrapolate this as proof that the lack of users has led to the cost cutting profit increasing nature of Gaia's death.

How long do you think it will take before Gaia's servers are sold to some Chinese WoW knock-off?

Princess Nerd

20,175 Points
  • Master Librarian 500
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Magical Girl 50
ROMVLVS
Jin Love

If Gaia REALLY was hard up for money, then the halo would not have been 1000 dollars, only a small few people could afford that. If they wanted cash, they woulda priced it at $300-500, that way more people would have bought the halo. Gaia isnt dying, I'm disappointed that a GCDer would even make this topic.

Shapeshifter

Ah another of the fun "gaia is dying" threads. Alright i'm gonna say sure gaia cannot last forever nothing lasts forever,but I don't see it going away anytime soon. I'll likely be on this site tell the final hour of its life.

Personally I was mad when I first heard the news that gaia was putting out the halo I really was. Though it really seemed like a giant troll/joke on gaia's part when its price came out. Sure they broke the word even if its on a technically it still is,but it was basically one big joke on the gaian's kind of deal. Thats how I choose to look at it.

As for firing employee's I've never seen a business keep all its employs mass layoffs are common even more so for Internet based sites. Tons of company's do mass layoffs after a certain time. Especially when it comes to artists. Look at just about any game company once something like lets say '"Rayman" is released a good number of employee's are let go. Its a typical business practice gaia is no exception to this.
As for the number of CEO's this is another typical practice. Albeit a little less common then mass layoffs sometimes it takes a company awhile to find a CEO who fits perfectly.

So that's my two cents on the matter.

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50
Jin Love
ROMVLVS
Jin Love

I've been a regular in SF since I joined, I haven't seen it much this year but before I would see a lot of threads asking about re-relasing older MCs, sometimes asking for all the older ones or just the halo. Whether you remember or not, it's not an idea that hasn't been brought but a few times.

All businesses whether we like it or not will do things to make extra money, and re-releasing older items does make the users who wanted them happy. Not everyone is happy with RIGs, it's all just a matter of opinion really. But the point is, if it will sell well or if they can have any sale to bring in anymore cash then they will do it, they can;t please everyone.

I do agree that the GCD is slower, why? I couldn't say for sure, could be the lack of interest in the manga or as you've said gaia is dying. I just don't think that's something someone who doesn't know everything that's going on at gaia HQ can answer.

I played an online game for many years, the population died down at times but it was mostly always packed and I'd see tons of items (cash ones) being sold. It shut down without any warning or big signs. Why? The company wanted to work on other games. Point is, even if gaia is doing better than ever it could shut down simply because they just didn't want to work on it anymore or that they wanted to work on other things. That being said, it's why I don't think anyone could say when because there's just no way in knowing that fully.

You're saying that I can't possibly know that Gaia is hurting, but honestly, How can you not?

When a business, a show, a store, etcetera begins to fail, they take drastic actions, it's called jumping the shark.

Gaia jumped the shark. You ******** watched it.

Sure, one or two morons asked for everything, there were people who wanted the halo released, but not in any significant numbers. There are people who will always want everything, and then they want it for free, on top of that.

You all saw Gaia jump the shark, the re-released the halo, they literally said 'we need money so bad, we're selling an item for $1,000, please, please buy it so we don't have to fire Reapersun.'

You honestly think they'd sell an item for that much if they didn't need to?

What's more sad, Gaia selling the Halo/their word as a business, or the people who shelled out $1,000 for it?

Princess Nerd

20,175 Points
  • Master Librarian 500
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Magical Girl 50
ROMVLVS
Jin Love
ROMVLVS
Jin Love

You're saying that I can't possibly know that Gaia is hurting, but honestly, How can you not?

When a business, a show, a store, etcetera begins to fail, they take drastic actions, it's called jumping the shark.

Sure, one or two morons asked for everything, there were people who wanted the halo released, but not in any significant numbers. There are people who will always want everything, and then they want it for free, on top of that.

You all saw Gaia jump the shark, the re-released the halo, they literally said 'we need money so bad, we're selling an item for $1,000, please, please buy it so we don't have to fire Reapersun.'

What's more sad, Gaia selling the Halo/their word as a business, or the people who shelled out $1,000 for it?
DUDE.
Seriously.
They NEVER told us they were hard up for money and begged us to buy a halo. $1000 is A LOT to spend on a site and they put it so high because they figured AS LITTLE PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE would buy the thing then, which wouldnt cause too much damage to the halos price. If Gaia were REALLY hard up for cash, they woulda sold more desirable items. ALL companies go through lay-offs and higher new blood.
You're right, Rom. Gaia is dying. The question will be whether some awesome web developers can come together in the next few years and find a way to get their act together and create a site that's better than Gaia but targets the same audience.

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

ROMVLVS
Jin Love
ROMVLVS
Jin Love

I'm saying no one can know, not specifically saying just you. I think Hi-Potion brought up a good point of if the halo was cheaper then they would of made more money, so why make it that price if they know they are dying? And why make it rarely and randomly available, if they wanted money so bad they could of charged less, and had the item stay in the cash shop for longer periods of time. They would of made more.

I've seen way more than one or two requests for it, it's enough to say it was a decent amount saying that the item (and a few others) was too rare. Like I said though, they can't please everyone. The people who want an item where only a handful exist will be upset about it never being re-released, and the ones who don't want to to be brought back will be pissed. No matter what they can't please everyone. And it was their 10th anniversary, even for the halo. It easily could of just been an excuse to throw it in for some extra cash and to make others happy. But we don't know how badly they are hurting for money for sure, do you know how much money they pull in? No one does except the people who work there. They could be hurting for money like you said, or they are just doing what a business does and just finds way to make some extra cash.

Like I said before, no one can know when gaia will shut down. I've seen dead places stay up for years. And places that were active shut down. It all just depends on many things, if the company owners just randomly decide to end it, no one can predict that, or if they just aren't able to make ends meet anymore. But how can anyone say for sure though who doesn't work directly with HQ? No one, not you, not me or anyone else can say whether or not for sure how long gaia will be around for.

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50
Hi-Potion
ROMVLVS
Jin Love
ROMVLVS
Jin Love

DUDE.
Seriously.
They NEVER told us they were hard up for money and begged us to buy a halo. $1000 is A LOT to spend on a site and they put it so high because they figured AS LITTLE PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE would buy the thing then, which wouldnt cause too much damage to the halos price. If Gaia were REALLY hard up for cash, they woulda sold more desirable items. ALL companies go through lay-offs and higher new blood.

Of course companies always are letting go of employees, but the sheer amount of employees for how small Gaia actually is, well..

And honestly, I just really see the signs that say 'goodbye!' all around. It's not just one thing, it's all of them. One or two, maybe, but all of them together means that a coincidence isn't likely.

You're saying that they didn't need the money, well, they really didn't need to re-release it, but they chose to, there must really be a good reason for them to have, no?

Mysterious Trickster

Eh... I dunno. It could be that this CEO just wants to monetize as much as he can, by pushing the envelope a little farther every day. That's not bad. Gaia is a business and frankly, business run on money. To say they're money-hungry is ridiculous. California, in general, isn't in the best of shapes. Hell, New Jersey, my home state, is in better shape than California. New Jersey is near the very bottom in a lot of categories.

I digress...

Anyway, I don't see this site falling. Sure, it's not as popular as it used to be, but during the times when there was A LOT of account activity, was during the days when bots ran rampant on the site. Right now, we're seeing a lot of core users. Users who have been here for several years and enjoy the site for their own personal reasons. They'll keep coming here for those enjoyments.

Frankly, Gaia needs something new to not only bring the community closer, but to make more care about some of the core features of the site: manga, plot, store updates, forum events, etc. That stuff really needs to be updated and update frequently. I know they can only do so much, but they gotta do more with less. Lots of business are doing it, and may be doing it successfully.

Edit: I gotta pay better attention to proof reading my own posts.

I like this site. I'll stay to the very end.

If you think Gaia is bad, look at Menewsha.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Someone at Gaia finally has the cojones to charge users for stuff people are willing to pay for, and monetize extra features.

If only someone had the balls to do the same thing with zOMG, maybe zOMG might've been able to support itself enough to continue development.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff