Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Genius

15,600 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
siskataya

Thank you for the kind words! I know people just need to vent, and sometimes venting at someone one knows is the easiest way to get out the frustration. I'm happy to be "sandwich meat" if it helps the community! I'd rather people vent and feel badly now, get it all out, and then move forward together in a positive way biggrin

Mmmm, sandwich meat.... makes me hungry! gonk

Yeah, I think people take out their anger on whoever will listen. Or whoever will pass on the messages to the appropriate staff. So in a case such as this, it's you, and Kenny and whoever else they'll find posting in the forums..
People do need to vent. As it's the best and quickest way to get over it.

Here's an idea. Maybe a venting forum for people who need to do just that? sweatdrop

Can I ask a question if I may? I've always wanted to know the answer to this. When it comes to decisions, ideas, choices. Who makes the overall decision, Lanzer or the CEO?

I had a chicken, mayo and salad roll today for lunch. Nice and sort of healthy. And tonight I'm having vegetarian lasagne for dinner. 3nodding

Familiar Lunatic

Hmm, where is the user made list of layoffs? I think it's missing crazy spork i am, which hmm... really sucks for KirbyUFO. I was worried he'd received the Axe... and... well. I can't say if this is better or worse. I hope it's ok to link this here.

I'm still shocked by all this. Just. What. What. Like. What. And what now? Bzns goes on? I guess Bzns marches on :/

Adored Sweetheart

Looks like crazy spork i am was laid off too... :C

Fluffy Wolf

13,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Edward 100
Definitely spouted some threads about the future of Gaia... dramallama

Now that I've had about a week to think about things...and reading around, if the end product out of this is that Gaia is refocusing on the main site, I like that. It's sad that it came at the cost of some great staff, but I hope that Gaia learns from those mistakes.

In all truthfulness, the fact that Gaia was starting to focus on GaiaInteractive and continuously pumping out new games worried me, because spreading those creative energies on all these little risky projects that, in the end, not producing much results. Why should us, as little users, be investing our cash into GaiaInteractive when our main activity with Gaia is the site itself? It all seemed like a cash grab scheme that didn't quite turn out.

Aaaaanyway, I really look forward to seeing what our new CEO (and the rest of the Gaia team) has in store for us in the future. I can only really want to anticipate that it turns out to be good, and that they build back from the ground up. I hate to see Gaia in such a vulnerable place that it felt that it had to sack some great peeps.

We've all been inflicted wounds, healing from them is definitely going to have to take time.

....I kind of want to make a topic about this, since some people seem to be focusing on how the changes were evidences of Gaia is 'dying'.

Dangerous Fairy

20,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Party Animal 100
daydreamer_girl

....I kind of want to make a topic about this, since some people seem to be focusing on how the changes were evidences of Gaia is 'dying'.

Funny thing about that comment. I see that "Gaia is dying" comment whenever somebody "sees" the user numbers on the main page being real small. Some of us other users have to keep explaining about RL situations - including affects from Mother Nature (when something happens and power goes out or there is a town that was destroyed or whatever) and stuff.

Last time I saw a thread about this, lay-offs happened.

Makes me rather angry.

Fluffy Wolf

13,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Edward 100
Nyadriel
daydreamer_girl

Funny thing about that comment. I see that "Gaia is dying" comment whenever somebody "sees" the user numbers on the main page being real small. Some of us other users have to keep explaining about RL situations - including affects from Mother Nature (when something happens and power goes out or there is a town that was destroyed or whatever) and stuff.

Last time I saw a thread about this, lay-offs happened.

Makes me rather angry.
Yeah, definitely, looking at the effect without really considering what the cause is...and jumping to your own conclusions. That definitely does seem to be a pattern anywhere you go.

Shirtless Sex Symbol

8,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
I think one of my big concerns is how the lay-offs were handled; very abruptly for these staff and without being able to say goodbyes and tie ends. Many of them have pointed out how unhappy they were with how it was poorly handled (in they're opinion). For being such loyal staff all these years they should have been treated with more respect at the end for them. It's bullshit. There has been no regard for loyalty (whom they laid off because of corporate money-grubbing and poor decisions/direction that these staff are not to blame for).

Knowing they've cut such vital and loyal people, I wonder who will be next on the chopping block for the staff.

Fashionable Visionary

13,150 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Princess-Orphelia
siskataya

Thank you for the kind words! I know people just need to vent, and sometimes venting at someone one knows is the easiest way to get out the frustration. I'm happy to be "sandwich meat" if it helps the community! I'd rather people vent and feel badly now, get it all out, and then move forward together in a positive way biggrin

Mmmm, sandwich meat.... makes me hungry! gonk

Yeah, I think people take out their anger on whoever will listen. Or whoever will pass on the messages to the appropriate staff. So in a case such as this, it's you, and Kenny and whoever else they'll find posting in the forums..
People do need to vent. As it's the best and quickest way to get over it.

Here's an idea. Maybe a venting forum for people who need to do just that? sweatdrop

Can I ask a question if I may? I've always wanted to know the answer to this. When it comes to decisions, ideas, choices. Who makes the overall decision, Lanzer or the CEO?

I had a chicken, mayo and salad roll today for lunch. Nice and sort of healthy. And tonight I'm having vegetarian lasagne for dinner. 3nodding

Depends what exactly you mean by overall decision but technically neither Lanzer or the CEO. Lanzer is currently helping out development. The CEO is generally handling things like setting the direction of the company, laying down strategy and ensuring senior management is executing on it. CEOs are also responsible for the overall company budget and it's allocation internally among other things. If everyone is doing there jobs right the CEO should not need to make decisions at the product/feature level.

Romantic Genius

15,600 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Narumi Misuhara

Depends what exactly you mean by overall decision but technically neither Lanzer or the CEO. Lanzer is currently helping out development. The CEO is generally handling things like setting the direction of the company, laying down strategy and ensuring senior management is executing on it. CEOs are also responsible for the overall company budget and it's allocation internally among other things. If everyone is doing there jobs right the CEO should not need to make decisions at the product/feature level.

HI Narumi,
Nice seeing you. Let me put this story into better use as in the following eg.

Say for eg that Lanzer decided he wanted to take some of the Gaia staff to Australia as there was a Con or something happening here, but the CEO didn't agree with it. So they debate back and forth and still can't come to any kind of an agreement. So in a situation such as this, Who gets their final say in whether it'd be a yes they go, or no they don't? This is just an example of what I mean.. 3nodding

Thanks for replying Narumi.. whee

Beloved Perfectionist

i just... dont understand.... crying
I think its a good business decision for Gaia. Sad to see some of the admins that I actually liked go. But seriously, unemployment is not fun and I'm not even sure you can write down "Gaia Online Interactive" as a previous employer and have that actually count towards getting a new job. Example: Qixter. s**t. Did I just say that?

Either way, it's nice to see administrators focusing on the community. I would say "refocus" but it's never really been there. So I'm excited to see progress.
I'm very concerned. In a recent post, Lanzer said the staff was going to stop with external projects and start concentrating on the community. And then, in a staff post soon after, he's apparently contradicted when you guys start asking us about mobile gaming.

I thought for sure that you guys would have stopped unnecessary projects that were just burning money to, you know, concentrate on the community like Lanzer said.

Fashionable Visionary

13,150 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Princess-Orphelia
Narumi Misuhara

HI Narumi,
Nice seeing you. Let me put this story into better use as in the following eg.

Say for eg that Lanzer decided he wanted to take some of the Gaia staff to Australia as there was a Con or something happening here, but the CEO didn't agree with it. So they debate back and forth and still can't come to any kind of an agreement. So in a situation such as this, Who gets their final say in whether it'd be a yes they go, or no they don't? This is just an example of what I mean.. 3nodding

Thanks for replying Narumi.. whee

Ah, thanks for the example. So in that case it would be the CEO

Dangerous Fairy

20,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Party Animal 100
Cedarbox
I'm very concerned. In a recent post, Lanzer said the staff was going to stop with external projects and start concentrating on the community. And then, in a staff post soon after, he's apparently contradicted when you guys start asking us about mobile gaming.

I thought for sure that you guys would have stopped unnecessary projects that were just burning money to, you know, concentrate on the community like Lanzer said.

Glad I am not the only one that noticed that. Also, see one of the newest Dev notices for a survey on Survey Monkey.

Somebody is daft if they think nobody would notice that.

Scurvy Pirate

Since this seems to still be causing some confusion, let me try to clear things up again. Refocusing our efforts more toward Gaia does not mean that we no longer have two different teams in the company. We still have a team that is continuing to work on social games that were already in the pipeline before any of this happened. We're not outright stopping all production of features for mobile platforms (Facebook, mobile, etc). What we are doing is putting more focus on Gaia Online. The Gaia team has more developers working on it now than it did before any of the changes occurred a couple weeks ago. We are making and continuing forward with big plans for the site. Part of that is examining our presence in the mobile space currently. We're very interested in how we can make Gaia's mobile experience better, both through the app and through a mobile browser itself. In order to understand that though, we need to understand what our users are using their phones for or if any of them even have phones. The poll is not one sided or singularly focused. The data we gain from it will be of use to both sides of the company.

Long story short, the poll isn't some secret attempt to mislead everyone on what we're doing. It's exactly what it looks like, a poll about mobile gaming. Those looking at the poll and seeing evidence of us lying or contradicting ourselves are being too limited in their judgment and are looking far too much down one path and not seeing the other paths coming from it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games