Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Visionary

15,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I just set my pms to friends early. nowadays, on a rare occasion I get advertisements for other people's threads in mind but just report them.

Time-traveling Bookworm

29,275 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bookworm 100
  • Survivor 150
I've had it happen to me a couple of times over the years, what I don't like is if I'm in one of the flash spaces minding my own business and someone starts chatting me up, and I'll talk to them to be friendly and then suddenly they friend me and go, "hey now that we're friends can I have __?" I've been here since 07 and have slowly built up my inventory and except for the rare random gift from others, I've earned every bit of gold to pay for my items. On another site I used to be on, I had one event item that wound up being pretty rare and people were ALWAYS begging me for it. I could've made a lot of in-game currency for it, but it was my first event trophy item and was therefore special to me. I'd explain that to people and they'd STILL bug me for it- even calling me selfish for not GIVING it to them. Some people don't take no for an answer, so you have to just ignore them. We all have the opportunity to earn gold for items, some are just too impatient to work for them and want them NOW. I remember it took me a long time to earn enough gold to get my Fairy Wings, and it felt so good to do so.

IRL Conventioneer

17,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
I'm fine with people asking for a donation. No harm done as long the one who's asking is not coercive in doing so.
I only give 1 gold to those that do anyways.
Any high specified amount I won't.
Get called a douche, and whatever expletive out there sometimes. Just like in the real world by just giving a penny.

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I wouldn't have even let the same person ask me twice.

I've had the gold-begging PMs like anyone else. I always, always, ALWAYS respond with advice: play Booty Grab, try out zOMG!, play some other games, post in the forums, etc. etc. If someone disregards this and continues to beg, they're ignored. Not BLOCKED (that's something reserved for the especially persistent), but ignored. I'll be nice about it, but I'm not giving you anything for free just because you want it.

Everyone starts off poor. Begging is a bad habit and doesn't lead to long-term good habits that'll increase wealth for the user. Not just riches, but wealth. As in having savings, investments, etc. Teach a man to fish and all that jazz.

Swashbuckling Conversationalist

10,400 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I earn gold through pink links.

This week alone I got one for 5,000 and another for 10,000! Either I'm lucky or Gaia is getting generous.

Dapper Mage

This is a problem that's been around forever. However, I don't usually get too many people willing to write my two-page essay detailing why I should make a donation. smile

Generous Millionaire

7,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
Strawberry-Fappuccino
I'm sick and tired of the same people messaging me asking for help to obtain an item because it is too expensive or that they don't have enough gold. Whatever happen to trying to earn the gold yourself to get the item you want?

Do not get me wrong, I've given out TONS of gold to help people plenty of times, but I will only do that unless I get to know you, deem you worthy, we become really good friends, or I WANT to give you gold and help. I've done small contests here and there for fun to give out gold too because I love doing that.

But when people constantly message you and ask to give you gold or even buy you a new item they want, it get's a bit annoying and rude doesn't it? I know people who have lied about themselves to receive gold too, that's just even worse!

Anyone else have the same problem and what do you do?

Edit: Just to clear something, sometimes these messages I get are from Meboo too. I've gotten random PM's too but a lot are Meboo, they find it easier to communicate via quick IM of course. XD

I tipped your post and i agree i like to help i know i look like noob but i used to have 1 million gold but i gave it away now people are trying to get more gold from me and a girl i knew in rl took all my gold but idc at least i earn my own gold

Generous Millionaire

7,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
Druki
This is a problem that's been around forever. However, I don't usually get too many people willing to write my two-page essay detailing why I should make a donation. smile

wow see they just want gold they dont want to make a effort which is just not good

Generous Millionaire

7,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
Unsolved Mystery
I have always loved buying things, & re-selling them for a small profit.

Sometimes I buy several of them.

When I put them up for sell in the marketplace, I always get a PM from at least one person asking me "CaN i JuSt HaZ 1 4 fReE sInCe U hAz So MaNy?!?!?" or "Can I buy that item from you for this much cheaper amount since I KNOW you are rich."

There are even people who come in my lotto & post to beg me for gold. Which I can't understand because I have plenty of free games for them to play & they can easily earn gold if they would just stick around & post. That's all they need to do. Just post.

As soon as people wins, I give them their prize. After nicely explaining this to them, they get mad & leave & I never see them again. x_x

I'm to the point where I've turned my PM's to friends only to try to stop most of them.

i got that alot when i was rich but i was hacked 3 times and i tipped i totally agree have a nice day

Sweet Bunny

22,575 Points
  • Determined Egg Hunter 150
  • Unstoppable Egg Hunter 250
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
OhhJune

I tipped your post and i agree i like to help i know i look like noob but i used to have 1 million gold but i gave it away now people are trying to get more gold from me and a girl i knew in rl took all my gold but idc at least i earn my own gold

Thank you, I like the feeling of having an item because you were able to earn the gold you made to buy that item. It's kind of sad when you think about it that you have to go far out sometimes to get an item you want on gaia...has turned into real life spending LMAO, but it's how it is.

Generous Millionaire

7,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
Strawberry-Fappuccino
OhhJune

Thank you, I like the feeling of having an item because you were able to earn the gold you made to buy that item. It's kind of sad when you think about it that you have to go far out sometimes to get an item you want on gaia...has turned into real life spending LMAO, but it's how it is.

Ikr i hope you have a good day and one suggestion dont help people on charity quests and stuff because i gave a dude 400k one time and he blocks me and deletes me thats why people need to stop, like earn it, its possible just get a gaia cash card and sell the items or play zomg and other games i hate people who think they can get their wayy

Sweet Bunny

22,575 Points
  • Determined Egg Hunter 150
  • Unstoppable Egg Hunter 250
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
OhhJune
Strawberry-Fappuccino
OhhJune

Ikr i hope you have a good day and one suggestion dont help people on charity quests and stuff because i gave a dude 400k one time and he blocks me and deletes me thats why people need to stop, like earn it, its possible just get a gaia cash card and sell the items or play zomg and other games i hate people who think they can get their wayy

Never give out that much gold unless you are 100% trust that person. And even in the end this phrase should always be in your mind. "Never give when you know the person expects it rather then appreciates it."

Revered Connoisseur

I just threatened them.
If they still persist, sorry, you're on my Ignore list, so they can stop.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff