Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think the economy would be better off with less items being introduced?

Of course not. Reducing the avatar items coming in won't make an impact. There are already thousands of items being bought and sold at market. 0.14723926380368 14.7% [ 24 ]
Maybe. I'm not so sure the items are the main problem. 0.15950920245399 16.0% [ 26 ]
Definitely. The economy has been wrecked by the need for more clothing and accessories. 0.12269938650307 12.3% [ 20 ]
What? None of what you're saying makes sense. 0.024539877300613 2.5% [ 4 ]
Fool! The amount of Gold that's flooding Gaia, and it's subsequent depreciation in value is the problem, not the items we're spending gold to get! 0.33128834355828 33.1% [ 54 ]
I want a bagel. 0.11042944785276 11.0% [ 18 ]
All...of the above? 0.10429447852761 10.4% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 163 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Kid Jak
Slick Southpaw
Personally I feel like they can always branch out in terms of item design, style and references more than anything else

BEARDS BEARDS BEARDS BODY HAIR SNAKES

*Sips his Sage Tea*

and more Fish!
Of Course, you magnificent fishy b*****d! emotion_bigheart

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
Slick Southpaw
Of Course, you magnificent fishy b*****d! emotion_bigheart

I have to say on topic this is one of the reason I Love the idea of golden tickets is they do give the chance for something new and different to be created.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
There is nothing wrong with having new items, but we're constantly bombarded with new (cash) stuff, day in, day out.
It's impossible to keep up with the amount of items (to anyone who disagrees, go look in the Q&A section; it's bombarded with threads asking what kind of item this and that is from) and it doesn't gives people the chance to experiment and appreciate the items we currently have.
It's nicer to have one big anouncement with five items (and their recolors) once a week instead of 10 announcement with five items (and their recolors) every day.
I'm surprised that the artists can even think up so many items every single week.

BigHatt's Rival

Acidic Fox

52,025 Points
  • I'm A Potato 500
  • Tainted Angel 500
  • Double Orobouros 500
On the one hand: nope, not enough, never enough.

On the other it is becoming a hassle to search things. Esp. when people have their equips turned off. (I understand the reasons behind such things) Even when they're turned on it's a guess for what item a pose may be from if they're wearing 10+ items....if their items are even in the list at all. Some new ones, I've noticed, like what must be people's platinum sdplus pose, don't show up if they don't have an mp link, or something. And hidden poses. And agape vs sketchbook vs both vs whatever for hair. And... emotion_zzz

Heavenly Seraph

43,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel quite bombarded by items. While I like options for avatar dress up, I don't think I can keep up with even JUST LOOKING at all the new stuff. All the stuff dumped in the RIGged boxes is just a giant maze to me. sweatdrop

Kawaii Sweetheart

Angel Spirit Girl
I feel quite bombarded by items. While I like options for avatar dress up, I don't think I can keep up with even JUST LOOKING at all the new stuff.

I feel like this, too.

I've been on Gaia for over 10 years, and, honestly, I enjoyed the site more when there wasn't a barrage of new items every day. Avatars have always been one of the biggest draws for me. Now, with so many new items, it's really hard to keep up -- with getting new things I want and even just knowing what new is out there. There's so much new stuff that if I get a new item I want today, next week, there will probably be three new items that I would want more than the one I got today... Though avatars have always been one of my biggest interests, now I spend a much larger percentage of my time trying to stay afloat in the sea of new items and much less time in places I used to like forums, games and arenas.

I, for one, would spend absolutely no less time on Gaia if there were more restraint on item releases.

Mega Bit

I am also in the boat of barely being able to keep up with looking at stuff.
somehow even if i check the gcd once a day, i still miss things because not all stuff is released at once, so some days if I don't go back to check the previous day thread, i probably have missed a whole rig box or something
The upside is that there is an endless stream of new things in the range of <2 bil that can keep me entertained and making avis for a very long time

Stellar Succubus

Whilst I think more variety is always great, I actually cannot keep up at all anymore. And I try to... but remembering most items and poses now is nigh on impossible now.

And I do think it is damaging to sales sometimes. Not if the item is new or popular, but if its an older item, and there is a chance that many people have forgotten it exists, things can sit on the market for ages. In part, I suspect, to there being many other items that are within easier grasp in terms of memory, and way more choice.

I mean, I have zero science to back up what Im saying. It really is just a general feeling Ive gotten when trying to sell specific items... its clearly not the whole case here, but I do feel that age and lack of obvious popularity can make some items kinda slip into a crevasse.
Seeing some great opinions here, and some things I hadn't even considered!

I mean, I never had an inventory problem like some people are experiencing, since I don't collect items. I think I have about...25? 30 items? Heh... sweatdrop

[EDIT: I checked, and I have 296. Jeez. That seems like a lot...]

So most of you would like a better organization and search system for both inventories and the marketplace? Yeah, the system used to work for the smaller amount of items being traded in Gaia, but that's clearly changed. For the new generation of item trading; marketplace & inventory optimization options should be a priority for the staff as well as fixing gold's value.

Though, I think that they should fix the value of Gold before optimizing the market's search system to make trading easier. If trading became easier then gold would flood into the marketplace much quicker, and not help our current economic situation...or would it?

In a relationship with a fleshlight

Ladykiller

It's not so much the items, it's the gold generators and GC push.

The massive amount of gold encourages hoarding (see the "is your inventory overwhelming?" topic if you don't believe me)

Now instead of people selling their items for gold for different items, they will use GC to buy generators; cash items for the sole purpose of reselling; or even just buy the item directly for cash because GC is now precieved as the "cheaper" option.

This creates "item droughts" where any item that is not currently available In the cash shop (whether directly or in a rig) is at risk of disappearing from the MP and the exchange, regardless of how rare or common an item actually is. By the time people notice the drought of a particular item, they will start inflating it like crazy: which actually works now because people undervalue gold so much they will throw awat 15b on an item that is worth 1b.

The more people hoard, the more likely they are NOT going to want to sift through everything and find things to sell. There are so many items in play and so much coming out everyday that it is easier to buy something new with GC than use items you already own.

iFaiji's Pardner

Much Hobo

42,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
one thing to counter this inflation is re-release almost everything, RIG victories, bundle exclusives even the tiered spending thing
idc how through RIGs [gold rigs would be better like in Loyal's]
or re-sell in CS or like in Mecha Neko/Verge/Rococo
and remove the limited quantity s**t thing, like what is that even for?!? it just tend for user to buy them thinking it will run out
then greedy vendors would seize the opportunity to sell it in MP for over inflated price cuz some buyers thinking that the item is running out because gaia put them on limited quantity will be forced to buy it at a very high price because no one listing it for the right price.

more release of items = more supplies = some user don't need to much = selling the items in MP for low so it'll sell

another thing is the continuous release of gold generator promising of trillion and two trillions [I recalled there was one stating 2 trills].
GOLD GENS mainly ruins the economy, next are the gaians. Actually the users are also responsible for the inflation. Listing it for high and buying it above ABP are just things that user contribute to inflation.

So if you really wanted to help in deflation. One thing is buying more RIGs specially re-release items RIGs better if it grants bundles cuz it means more item in a single chance. then sell it in MP for the right price. Also not buying above ABP really helps in deflating the ABP thus affecting the prices of vendors to lower their list.

If no one will buy their listings at a high price, they will be forced to lower their prices just to sell.

So my point is Yes to more items [new release or re-release] and never to Gold Gens. It's actually the gaians that controls the economy a lot. Everyone needs to be informed about the current situation of our economy and ways to counter it or make it better.
Dear god I actually cannot keep up with all these new items coming out everyday. Multiple announcements a day just for gcash items drives me nuts. It's just like spam to me now. I used to read all the announcements thoroughly, but now I just skim it extremely fast trying to look for an item I like.

Someone suggested that they just compress all these announcements into a huge one once a week? I think that would be a lot better. Probably two announcements though... one at the beginning and end of the week. I'd be much more inclined to read through it and look at all the items that way. They don't have to start selling it all on those two days those. It could just be like, " on ____ (later date) we'll be releasing _____ (new item) for _____ (gcash)". Atleast it would also give some of us a chance to go get some gcash beforehand if we wanted, especially for limited quantity items. < Dunno if that's a good idea in general tho... it would personally benefit me though hahaha

I wish they just came out with more gold shop items. There's no excuse for it taking so long compared to gcash shop releases. Clearly you're able to make new items fast, but why does it take so long for the gold shops? emotion_8c
Makys

I wish they just came out with more gold shop items. There's no excuse for it taking so long compared to gcash shop releases. Clearly you're able to make new items fast, but why does it take so long for the gold shops? emotion_8c

Staff Member: "Hey, should we make some items that cost gold, and not actual money? I mean, we're making a profit, but what about the inflation and th---"

Big Boss Person: "You're fired."

It's all about profit with the Gaia Cash system. The more items that cost actual money, the more the company makes. At this point, it's very unlikely they're going to fix things straight away (or at all) because they're making a profit.

I bet making attractive items that cost millions of gold at first, then having the price even out as the value of gold goes back to normal would be a good start. Too bad they're making so much mooonnnnneeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy~!
Scorium
Staff Member: "Hey, should we make some items that cost gold, and not actual money? I mean, we're making a profit, but what about the inflation and th---"

Big Boss Person: "You're fired."

It's all about profit with the Gaia Cash system. The more items that cost actual money, the more the company makes. At this point, it's very unlikely they're going to fix things straight away (or at all) because they're making a profit.

I bet making attractive items that cost millions of gold at first, then having the price even out as the value of gold goes back to normal would be a good start. Too bad they're making so much mooonnnnneeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy~!

I always forget that that's the reason why. My innocent 'lil heart always wants to believe that we're more important than inrl money but cry doesn't seem so.

As someone who's never bought gcash, and has been trying for a while not to, I might resort to it one day because of the shiny new items. I'm having such a hard time earning gold, as I try not to vend anymore. So many times I go sell something and it's way overpriced that I feel reluctant to. Thankfully there's lots of gaians who step in to help lower the price... like starmony was up to 19 bill at one time jeeze. I fully believe that this happens because there's so many ridiculously expensive items that gaians are trying to get. Can't stop the want for pretty new things.

I think your idea is a good one and would certainly help, but like you said money >

Eternal Lightbringer

Magus
spirit box
Magus
spirit box
I will say that I've noticed I've become more like myself irl.

Ayo, real hip hop.

Check out my mix tape, bruh.
Breh, heard the EP! You spittin' rhymes you spittin' soul you spittin' spit!!! emotion_dealwithit

LOL

nt, mang.
Oh hey it's that Magus guy. >.>

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out