Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hater

Mississippi Black Velvet
Honestly no I don't forsee that as being a good idea only because of how often people have their credit cards stolen, identies stolen, etc. If this were to happen and someone had their card number stolen a person could rack up a considerable amount of GC charges and then start gifting that GC to numerous accounts who then in turn could gift to even more accounts. There would of course be a paper trail no doubt but oh my at the mess that would cause.

So no I don't forsee being able to gift GC as a viable option. Maybe the ability to convert gold to cash would work better but then you'd have to figure out the gold to cash ratio which is forever changing on any given day.

Perhaps gift cards would be the best route to go in all honesty. lol

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

but who would spend money from a stolen credit card on a game?

Devoted Heckler

Mississippi Black Velvet
Fanny Flaps

Well, they're not all lying in ruins. Most sites (virtual currency or not) deal with real world currency and a lot of them use gift certificates. We don't freak out if we have a redeemed-but-not-yet-spent Amazon giftcard on our accounts.

Which is why I suggested gift cards as being a better option overall. Gaia could essentially team up with a site like Amazon which is well known and give users the option of purchasing gift cards to gift to friends but freeze the gifted cards for a set amount of days that way they could ensure it was a legitimate transaction. There'd be those that would rage over it no doubt but to me that would be a safer action rather than being able to just willy nilly gift GC.

Too much ******** hassle. This wouldn't be primarily used for "gifting" GC - people want to be able to straight up sell and trade. Both those options are easily traceable. There are sales and trades going on every day worth tens of trillions of gold, far more than most people could afford in GC. If you have bought and sold a CS item and then used that gold in subsequent trades then you are essentially already risking your "GC".

Bloodthirsty Unicorn

Gift/donate it? Sure, but trade? Not sure about that one. Other avatar sites allow their donation currency to be traded among users for their gold currency, and it has caused problems with value of the cash shop items on those sites, so not sure if it would be best for Gaia's current state but who knows.

Devoted Heckler

DYRL
Fanny Flaps
DYRL
Nope, but a GC to gold option would be nice
Like 1gc equal 5k or something

We had that in the past (05?) and it was called something like Gift Credits - you could get 10k for $10 and so on. Technically, we still sort of have it as you can buy GS items for GC and sell them back.
I don't see any point in updating it as we don't need any more gold in the system and it's always more profitable to buy-to-sell from the CS.
I did not know that

So GG have kinda always been around

Pretty much, except almost nobody bothered with the feature as things were already selling in the millions by then.

Hardcore Muse

Evente
Mississippi Black Velvet
Honestly no I don't forsee that as being a good idea only because of how often people have their credit cards stolen, identies stolen, etc. If this were to happen and someone had their card number stolen a person could rack up a considerable amount of GC charges and then start gifting that GC to numerous accounts who then in turn could gift to even more accounts. There would of course be a paper trail no doubt but oh my at the mess that would cause.

So no I don't forsee being able to gift GC as a viable option. Maybe the ability to convert gold to cash would work better but then you'd have to figure out the gold to cash ratio which is forever changing on any given day.

Whose to say someone wouldn't if they were desperate enough for an item and use the site regularly or even pull a Robin Hood?
lol

In a relationship with t3h marth

Versatile Shapeshifter

of course
all the other avatar sites had a conversion ratio and allowed it in trades
ridiculous that gaia never has

Hardcore Muse

Fanny Flaps
Mississippi Black Velvet
Fanny Flaps

Well, they're not all lying in ruins. Most sites (virtual currency or not) deal with real world currency and a lot of them use gift certificates. We don't freak out if we have a redeemed-but-not-yet-spent Amazon giftcard on our accounts.

Which is why I suggested gift cards as being a better option overall. Gaia could essentially team up with a site like Amazon which is well known and give users the option of purchasing gift cards to gift to friends but freeze the gifted cards for a set amount of days that way they could ensure it was a legitimate transaction. There'd be those that would rage over it no doubt but to me that would be a safer action rather than being able to just willy nilly gift GC.

Too much ******** hassle. This wouldn't be primarily used for "gifting" GC - people want to be able to straight up sell and trade. Both those options are easily traceable. There are sales and trades going on every day worth tens of trillions of gold, far more than most people could afford in GC. If you have bought and sold a CS item and then used that gold in subsequent trades then you are essentially already risking your "GC".

Yes, but those are gold transactions not cash transactions. I'm just leery when cash comes into play only because of how many people have their credit cards tied to their accounts for faster purchase.
I mean if you want to go a faster route then a disposable card would come in handy but It's still not something I would be for or would even trust unless extensive security measures were put into place.

Hardcore Muse

Antiq
Mississippi Black Velvet
Antiq
Mississippi Black Velvet

Ummm, if you buy cash and it's in your account, it is virtual money at that point and has no link to anything else, no?. Or, if one could use GC to buy something like an on-site virtual gift card, that you buy from the cash shop itself, that would then be safely giftable, wouldn't it? Gaia Cash is not real money, even though it's bought with real money, like any other cash item, so it couldn't be considered trading in real currency.

No, GC isn't real money but you use real money to buy it. Fraud is real and were someone to steal another person's identity and get a card in their name or even manage to get a hold of someone's bank card then you run into a lot of problems. Then throw in the option to gift and you run into even more problems which is why I think a gift card could be a better alternative like a virtual gift card which Amazon does. You could buy a gift card, gift it to your friend, and then it would be locked onto that friend's account for x amount of days that way if they choose not to use it they could in turn gift it. I just don't see the ability to gift cash as being a safe option.

Fraud can happen regardless, I don't see how gifting a virtual currency would make that any more likely to happen. Sorry, I'm trying to understand how gifting virtual currency from this site could lead to my identity being stolen, even if my account was hacked. I'm not trying to be difficult, I really would like to know.

Because there are some people who have their credit information tied to their account I'm sure in one way or another. Gain access to an account which they could in turn gain access to the email linked to the account and if you do online banking chances are you use an email for said account. Seems like it would be a hassle but people do stuff like that every day.
//shrugs

Star

I don't see why not. They bought the cash themselves so they should do whatever they want with it.

Hater

Mississippi Black Velvet
Evente
Mississippi Black Velvet

Whose to say someone wouldn't if they were desperate enough for an item and use the site regularly or even pull a Robin Hood?
lol

haha true true
all them weeaboos on gaia 8D

Bloodthirsty Unicorn

Mississippi Black Velvet

Plenty of avatar sites already allowed for their purchase currency to be traded/gifted/etc among other users for years and never had these issues, I don't see why these issues would appear with Gaia if it has yet to happen to others.

Handsome Destroyer

Evente

You might be surprised.

I have had my credit card information stolen once. The guy did buy some real-world stuff with it (...all of which I was able to locate and ship back to the retailer, happily) but the most expensive thing was some kind of "self-help" audio course. It was an obvious con, from the whopping $500 price down to the NO REFUNDS EVER!! notices plastered all over the website.

I can imagine some rando who'd never heard of Gaia having about the same reaction I did then if they saw fraudulent transactions from here. Like "...some pixel doll website? wow, what a sad ********." *shakes head* blaugh rofl

Devoted Heckler

Mississippi Black Velvet
Fanny Flaps
Mississippi Black Velvet
Fanny Flaps

Yes, but those are gold transactions not cash transactions. I'm just leery when cash comes into play only because of how many people have their credit cards tied to their accounts for faster purchase.
I mean if you want to go a faster route then a disposable card would come in handy but It's still not something I would be for or would even trust unless extensive security measures were put into place.

Gold transactions...funded by cash transactions. The only difference isa few extra minutes of time. If your credit card is tied to your account then hackers can already purchase from the CS with it and sell those items. The difference is miniscule.

Wild Bookworm

Mississippi Black Velvet
Antiq
Mississippi Black Velvet
Antiq
Mississippi Black Velvet

Ummm, if you buy cash and it's in your account, it is virtual money at that point and has no link to anything else, no?. Or, if one could use GC to buy something like an on-site virtual gift card, that you buy from the cash shop itself, that would then be safely giftable, wouldn't it? Gaia Cash is not real money, even though it's bought with real money, like any other cash item, so it couldn't be considered trading in real currency.

No, GC isn't real money but you use real money to buy it. Fraud is real and were someone to steal another person's identity and get a card in their name or even manage to get a hold of someone's bank card then you run into a lot of problems. Then throw in the option to gift and you run into even more problems which is why I think a gift card could be a better alternative like a virtual gift card which Amazon does. You could buy a gift card, gift it to your friend, and then it would be locked onto that friend's account for x amount of days that way if they choose not to use it they could in turn gift it. I just don't see the ability to gift cash as being a safe option.

Fraud can happen regardless, I don't see how gifting a virtual currency would make that any more likely to happen. Sorry, I'm trying to understand how gifting virtual currency from this site could lead to my identity being stolen, even if my account was hacked. I'm not trying to be difficult, I really would like to know.

Because there are some people who have their credit information tied to their account I'm sure in one way or another. Gain access to an account which they could in turn gain access to the email linked to the account and if you do online banking chances are you use an email for said account. Seems like it would be a hassle but people do stuff like that every day.
//shrugs

Ohhh right, yes. I didn't think of that. Definitely not something I would be foolish enough to do. Anyone hacking my account would find one e-mail address leading absolutely nowhere except back here. But still, that kind of thing could happen now, anyway, regardless of whether cash can be gifted or not. I do agree with you that some kind of gift card set-up would be better, but I doubt Gaia would do it unless there was some profit in it for them. The situation we already have in being able to gift items is a little more indirect, but much the same basically.

Kuyusi's Partner

Apocalyptic Trash

Really bad idea as another has user has stated. If someone's credit card is stolen, that can be used to purchase the GC and making it a hell of a lot easier to con-volute just where the GC went. It'd be way easier for dishonest to hide their tracks, taking staff ages to track them down and ban all accounts involved.

But not only would the hackers would be banned, but if they sold that GC for gold, then the innocent user involved would also be punished and their account could be banned or their trading pass disabled. I don't think this is a good idea at all.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff