Welcome to Gaia! ::

No Winner

33,650 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • 10000 High Score 300
  • Magical Girl 50
Why do people turn off the ability to view their equipped items? Sometimes I see an item that someone's wearing and then I'm like, "Oh, that's cool looking, I wonder what that item's called," and then I click on "View equipped list" just to find "User does not allow viewing of currently equipped items." I never understood why people do that. It can't hurt if someone who passes by wants to know what the item they're wearing is so they can go and buy it themselves! So there has to be some other reason why...

Edit: Sorry if you've seen this topic multiple times. I googled it and I didn't get any results for this so I went ahead and asked it. Well you can get some gold for chatting!

Edit 2: I've seen some good points, VERY good points, so I decided to hide mine as well. Thanks, everyone!

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
I guess each person has their reason lol. There are too many items on Gaia for me to remember @_@ If I ever want to know, but they have their inventory unviewable, I just ask them and they usually answer :3

No Winner

33,650 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • 10000 High Score 300
  • Magical Girl 50
DJ Twissta
I guess each person has their reason lol. There are too many items on Gaia for me to remember @_@ If I ever want to know, but they have their inventory unviewable, I just ask them and they usually answer :3

Very true.

Magical Kitten

I hide mine because back in the day when I had it visible I got a lot of begging PMs and scam PMs. That's it. I always answer when people ask about what I'm wearing. I'm well aware that gaia has millions of items and it is impossible to know off the top of your head every item, so I help when I can.

Perfect Hunter

10,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
There are some people who think others might want to steal their item combinations, so they hide their equipped list.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
some of them do it so that you can play the game

the game of 'can you name all the X's on their avatar?'

sort of like a scavenger hunt

and when you find an item you are unfamiliar with it's like you've won/accomplished something kipplish

but sometimes you can't truly win every battle by word association alone, unless you cheat using tektek's search tags...which are way better than gaia's...or maybe you will phone a friend or ask the audience and drop by Q&A for some help

yep

these are the reasons of the universe

Benevolent Entrepreneur

13,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Contributor 150
  • Profitable 100
I guess some of them don't like their items combination being copied by other gaians. I personally would not mind being copied. More creativity is great for whole community

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
          People have their reasons. I've heard a variety, from fear of combo stealing to wishing to spite people who constantly ask about making wishlists visible. I keep mine visible because a) I don't care b) I'm just a little arrogant in regards to my style, in that I feel it would be difficult to take an overall look of mine without it being obvious.

Reveler

I used to exploit layering glitches - so hiding my equipped list helped preserve them I guess.

I tried to make it public recently actually,
but couldn't find the option XD

Sexy Exhibitionist

13,125 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
there's a variety of reasons. They range from people not wanting their item combinations stolen to people who prefer the communication between two users. I leave mine visible because i just don't care, and i usually only have around 4 or 5 items on my avatar at any given time. No point in hiding what everyone can already see.

~Eva

Nerd

♫♫ Oh my god, Yaunie13.You can't just ask someone why they have their equipped list turned off. emotion_awesome

Honestly though the reasons people give are rainbow pretty much.My opinion is that they think they're so amazing with creating outfits on a pixelated doll that someone would waste their time to copy them on purpose.

Big Member

I think it usually has to do with people stealing another avi. But I prefer to leave mine on, I find it super frustrating when I like an item, but I have no item what it is.

ratpeets's King

Hallowed Plague

I did art for someone who had apparently 'stolen' someone else's avatar and I took heat for it. So idk man, I dunno how to change it on mine, I used to hide it because, like KRlLL said, glitch exploitation. I kinda wish it wasn't an option.

Stellar Succubus

Because people feel protective of their avatars or items?

I sometimes hide mine and sometimes show it. Never know what you're gonna get!
Agh I know right! It's v frustrating when trying to find a specific item on an avatar, especially now there are sooo many items, and half of those have about a dozen different poses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff