Welcome to Gaia! ::

Salty Sailor

11,600 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
It's been several months from the last Featured Announcement. And before that, it was also another several months. Actually, this has been going on for quite some time now. It hasn't always been like this.
Sometimes we'd get several featured announcements in one month, and honestly, I enjoyed some of them.
It was neat when Gaia would sponsor a new awesome movie, book, or videogame coming out. In a similar way as Mecha Neko, but less cash induced.

Thinking about what I just said for a minute... why not have Mecha Neko sponsors have a featured announcement before the Mecha Neko update? Possibly granting a free item for watching a trailer. I mean hell, not everyone out there has heard of some of the things available in that store. It'd be a good way to introduce it to a new crowd before brandishing us with items. @.@

With the slow-down of Featured Announcements, we now have in it's place, advertisements. Lots of ******** advertisements. Everywhere! On the footer, several on the main page, on the side of the screen, at the bottom of the forum, in our Daily Chance...
Do you guys think the slow-down of Featured Announcements might have caused this?

:edit: With the new announcement, I feel it may be a good idea looking into the idea of bringing back the feature.

Muscular Knight

12,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
well the site must pay for itself somehow... however its odd that they have not had anything yet.. i thought for sure with MLP season 3 they would have had something... HELL even something for walking dead like a sequel to the last little rig thing they had... or even more skittles or something...
but nope... just more adds to spam us with...
emotion_donotwant

Demonic Kitten

17,350 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
I miss those too... wonder why they haven't got any sponsor?
I don't really consider the mecha store in his.. is a sponsor too, but in other way of business

a sequel for TWD would be so cool... or one for the 5th season of AT, was wanting that!!!

Player

I actually don't miss them. They weren't interesting announcements anyway.

Scholarly Storyteller

33,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Several possibilities are at play:
Advertising on youtube > advertising on Gaia
(wider audience, likelihood that people who use Gaia also use Youtube so advertising on Gaia might be hitting the same demographic and essentially pointless)

Companies using other companies to do their advertising (like SocialVibe) instead of seeking out individual merchants

Gaia is not as well known as it used to be, if Gaia sends out sponsorship packages it's easy to overlook Gaia for places like youtube

The Cash Tree has become a more lucrative and easy system of getting $ through advertisements than the amount of work put into a sponsorship

I could think of more if I took the time to.

Overall though I still think Gaia has potential with attracting sponsors, they're just not doing it right for some reason. Or they are not looking in the right direction with the type of systems of advertisement they have potential of offering sponsors. They need to offer something different than what Youtube and other viral web areas do - that is, simply getting people to play a video shouldn't be the main squeeze of what they offer sponsor when Gaia advertises itself to sponsors. Getting sponsorship deals is also about how Gaia presents itself. I could go on but that also takes time and I'd probably want to look into some things first and know what exactly Gaia's demographics looks like.

Learned Informer

20,100 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
TINSTAAFL
Do you guys think the slow-down of Featured Announcements might have caused this?
Narumi said as much when he was talking about the introduction of ads to DC.
Narumi Misuhara
We know the awesome novelty ad size seems a bit off-putting, but we wouldn’t be doing it if we didn’t feel it would be worthwhile for us in the long run. It was not an easy decision but with the lack of sponsorships at this time, we feel it's a needed addition.

Salty Sailor

11,600 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Platonix
TINSTAAFL
Narumi said as much when he was talking about the introduction of ads to DC.
Narumi Misuhara
We know the awesome novelty ad size seems a bit off-putting, but we wouldn’t be doing it if we didn’t feel it would be worthwhile for us in the long run. It was not an easy decision but with the lack of sponsorships at this time, we feel it's a needed addition.

I just fear that the site may lose itself, just as I've seen others have. To where advertisements take up majority of the site for the sake of keeping it running.
We're not there yet, but we're heading in that direction from how it appears.

Rainbow Noob

Yeah, i imagine its exactly as Existential Existence explained; nobody wants to advertise with Gaia right now. :c I'm not even sure mecha Neko has anything to do with sponsorship, but I do think we might have a big honkin' mlp update on the way. That might be in the actual cash shop though, a la adventure time's RIG...

I don't miss the announcements, but I'd rather have sponsorship deals than more on-page ads for sure. It think one of the main draws of advertising here was the virtual merchandise, but I guess no one cares about that anymore? D:

Questionable Codger

I didn't mind them, though I'm not really missing them at all either. rofl

Most of the stuff they featured in the past wasn't up my alley anyway, though I did like the free sponsor items. emo I think my favourite was the owl they gave out for that Guardians movie. ^-^

Greedy Businessman

6,900 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Wall Street 200
i like daily change you get cash with it rather then poor things

Muscular Brawler

I think that people weren't checking out the videos/advertisements in the Featured announcements before and that their experiments of people who clicked ads that rewarded users with Gaia items showed that many users have an ad blocker by lack of participation. As a result I think that Gaia has opted for a slightly more blatant advertising to get more funding, which only makes sense. Advertisements, and us viewing them contributes to the sites funds, which in turn helps us to have cheaper items and keeps the site running.

It's a shame that some bad ads chosen by google ended up damaging our viewing of them.

I don't mind extra ads personally.

Frozen Sex Symbol

Tsukita-chan
I miss those too... wonder why they haven't got any sponsor?

User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. So weird how the times have changed.
Use to be consent sponsors lead to great RAGE around the land, yep. Now people want them again just shows the state of the world we are in I reckon.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

For me, I love the free stuff. Maybe not the MTV shop but free items were great.

Compassionate Conversationalist

29,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
Personally, I believe they should have consolidated the announcements in total a while ago. There never was a real need for separation.

As for the lack of sponsorships, perhaps asking DJ Helsing would be a good start. That is his department, after all.

Salty Sailor

11,600 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Ridley Starsmore
Personally, I believe they should have consolidated the announcements in total a while ago. There never was a real need for separation.

As for the lack of sponsorships, perhaps asking DJ Helsing would be a good start. That is his department, after all.

I'm glad they seperated the two honestly.
It lets me go further back into the announcements that way.
Fun Fact: Did you know they were deleting old announcements?
Some of those had artwork! gonk

gone forever emo

I'll be sure to ask him though. Thanks smile

Sparkling Shoujo

14,450 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Ridley Starsmore

With TinierMe's imminent closure, I'm surprised that Gaia isn't swooping down on TinierMe's old sponsors like a starved vulture. Funimation was willing to play ball before, judging by the fact that Fullmetal Alchemist items are still available through Mecha Neko; I wonder how easy or hard it'd be to do the same with Funimation's other licensed properties, like Black Butler or Hetalia.

As for TinierMe's other sponsors, Gaia should also court Aniplex of America (Durarara!!, Madoka Magica) and Crypton Future Media (Vocaloid) for sponsorship deals, though I'm not sure how the latter would react to the fact that we already have quite a few Vocaloid knockoff items...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff