Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Lunatic

I mostly use the random unnatural colors from items. My actual base hasn't changed in years but it's rarely visible anyway. Some of my mules use other ones though, and yeah a lot of face items do weird things on darker colors. I wonder why... I guess not that many people use them to complain about it. Or the people that do aren't big on complaining.

There's a couple of darker skin items that I really want to mess with, but I can never make it work. Though I think that problem is in the particular items... I wouldn't expect everything compatible with random unused items from years ago.

Thieving Lunatic

I think I'm going to switch between my current skin tone and the skin tone that's one lighter on a fairly regular basis. A lot of makeup looks way better on the lighter skin tone, but this one is just perfect for the Effieminate and Reve Rouille cavalier makeup. Plus some avatars I've made just look good paler and some look better with a slightly darker skin tone.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

UUUGHH

Tone D is a hate love relationship.

Can't sport cleavage right (it always looks off and grey to me), abs look effing weird unless you layer with other things

Don't get me started on eye mods. There are few eye mods I can stand (like Runcible Spoon forever love in my heart), cos Gaia artists are like lololwatistransparency then it makes me look like I'm leaking snow from my eyes or I've got some terrible blanching disease.

User Image

Moonlight Witch

32,265 Points
  • Sugar Plum Protector 200
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Winter Guardian 250
User Image

Back in the very beginning, I used to use the lightest base. Then eventually that got boring so I started to experiment. I used to use a lot of different skin items from different items like EIs and Superior Form MC. Then, I used the vampire base during a Halloween event, but it was too skinny and pale to stick with. Then, I started to use skin tone that was just darker than my current, but eventually I just stick with my current (except when I cosplayed my RP character, who was very pale). There are some issues with make-up (ex. Little Lucie is just too light to use regularly) and some body mods (weird gray cleavage or shiny cleavage User Image ). But otherwise not too bad. I tend to just stick with the medium blush in Masquerade and then either black mascara (Masquerade) or the eye mod in Little Lucie for the eyes.

Nimble Explorer

As someone who used the darker base skin tones for quite a while, there are quite a few items that look like absolute s**t on them. So, I'd have to say yeah, lighter tones tend to have a larger range of items that look acceptable.

I don't generally have much difficulty between making male or female avatars, but that's because most of my inventory is pretty gender-neutral and I don't go out shopping for new things anymore. Actually FINDING a new item for my hoard that looks good on the male base is a different story, though. Which is why I haven't switched back yet, even though I've been thinking about it for the last few months.
...also the name change since I last switched kinda makes it awkward. xD

The light spirit sunburn looks bad no matter what you do with it, no matter what base you throw it on. Just sayin'. I can't stand it in art either.

Cluttered Browser

26,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
I've had a vampire avatar for the past forever, and i'm just so use to it i can't seem to make human avatars for the life of me.

The only drawback with the vamp skin is some eyes dont work on the base, some hair's look weird on the head, and almost all sandals are bitches to work with.

But honestly, once you get around those little issues with a base you can do some cool stuff with it.

and um i think you darker skinned avi's have an easier time with your avatarscompared to us shadowlurkers, with having a lot of items that are literally UNUSABLE on our base. neutral

Premium Gaian

I personally think, that for the guys, the easiest tone to use skin tone A, C, and sometimes D. Mostly because alot of items blend in well with those tones. I'm actually using tone C right now. THe hair makes it look a little lighter, so it looks like my avi just has a tan.

Premium Gaian

Slick Southpaw
UUUGHH

Can't sport cleavage right (it always looks off and grey to me), abs look effing weird unless you layer with other things

Don't get me started on eye mods. There are few eye mods I can stand (like Runcible Spoon forever love in my heart), cos Gaia artists are like lololwatistransparency then it makes me look like I'm leaking snow from my eyes or I've got some terrible blanching disease.

User Image

Gaia failed horribly with those abs. They should have had it match the skin tone. THose 2 don't really amtch anything

EDIT: Wait, I'm thinking more of the Secret Retreat Abs

Toothsome Lunatic

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Marshmlow1
Slick Southpaw
UUUGHH

User Image

Gaia failed horribly with those abs. They should have had it match the skin tone. THose 2 don't really amtch anything

The Retreat abs are the ones I cited. They look very... like you've had something pale squirted on you?

Premium Gaian

Jackathyn
Marshmlow1
Slick Southpaw
UUUGHH

User Image

The Retreat abs are the ones I cited. They look very... like you've had something pale squirted on you?

Yeah kinda..They don't really match any of the skin tones..They need to redo them to match the skin tones. And the darkest one is the biggest problem, practically ANYTHING looks horrible on it, dark items blend into it, and light colored items look kind ahorrible on it.

Lucky Saint

15,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Jackathyn
Marshmlow1
Slick Southpaw
UUUGHH

User Image

Nah, they look like he got wax'd

Precious Treasure

I tend to enjoy the darker skin tones, just because I think bright hair looks good in contrast. C is my favorite, which I used often on my main. I had D skin on this avatar, but this thread actually challenged me to try the E skin, and I'm loving this avatar right now.

Saint Sweetheart

I get sad because on this current A skinned avatar the secret retreat looks awesome...but I usually wear tone C for my main avatars and it mostly blends in D:

all my avatars are characters so they use tone A, tone C, and tone E.

E is DEFINITELY the hardest to work with, but I have my woes with C as well :c

Questionable Mage

I recently switched to the dark elf skin, and I'm still getting used to it. I'm enjoying having white hair--it looks very good with this skin. Black, my standby from when I used pale skin, is harder to work with, but rich brown looks excellent. smile I think I need more orange items to contrast with the blue tones in the skin.

Aekea Businesswoman

10,250 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Healer 50
As someone who uses a EI skin and stick with a complimentary monochromatic color scheme, I don't find my skin too hard to work with.

If I had to suddenly work with any other skin tone, I'd be a fish out of water for sure.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff