Welcome to Gaia! ::

Spirit

I know some people judge avatars or associate.

APPARENTLY, I get mistaken for another GCDer (stupid of them if you ask me.) and so just based off that, I'd imagine people read posts with "personalities" or "people" in minds based off of the posters avatar.

Angelic Cat

20,100 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Snowball Hero 200
sometimes when i'm reading a thread, i don't even notice the avi. i do notice if someone has a bunch of starter clothes though

Spirit

Power of Alchemy
J 4 C K
Of course people judge you by your avatar. It's one of the very first impressions you get of a user. It's ridiculous to say you don't. However... Making this judgment, then taking other factors into consideration, stepping back and making as realistic an opinion as you can.... That is the full process nobody ever talks about. It happens subconsciously.

That's what everyone else does. Not me. I have a beautiful and brilliant mind capable of only caring about my own avatar.

I was just about to tip you... then I saw your sig. Also, your comment made me grin.

Just quote and say "Imaginary tip"

or
something.

im still trying to find a way to tip him with his consent.
Lapin Lequesne
Power of Alchemy
J 4 C K
Of course people judge you by your avatar. It's one of the very first impressions you get of a user. It's ridiculous to say you don't. However... Making this judgment, then taking other factors into consideration, stepping back and making as realistic an opinion as you can.... That is the full process nobody ever talks about. It happens subconsciously.

That's what everyone else does. Not me. I have a beautiful and brilliant mind capable of only caring about my own avatar.

I was just about to tip you... then I saw your sig. Also, your comment made me grin.

or
something.

I will refrain from tipping him I guess.

Spirit

Power of Alchemy
Lapin Lequesne
Power of Alchemy
J 4 C K

or
something.

I will refrain from tipping him I guess.

Trading him 25g.

AT LEAST HE CAN SAY NO

Magnetic Lunatic

Basically I only think about it if they're in a starter set. In which case I'm more forgiving of misplaced threads, and more annoyed about trolling.

But I find it really stupid when someone who's obviously been here a while is posting in the wrong forum. Seriously, read.

Other than that, I don't think I care.
Power of Alchemy
Power of Alchemy
the_true_iori
Power of Alchemy
With gold so easy to get through things on the site, or just investing the smallest bit of real money, it would seem insignificant. At least to me, the idea is.

I'm sorry, what? Maybe you should stop hanging out with poor people.

What? Short-sighted much? Maybe a little elitist?

Edit- I am looking for conversation which is what everyone else is doing. I will NOT tolerate your attempt to start a fight. Unless you will contribute, stop.
Generally you edit the initial post rather than quoting a second one then editing it.

I am contributing to the thread, that's how posting works. If you [incorrectly] inferred that I wanted to start a fight based on my critique of your flawed point then that is your fault not mine. Generally if one of the fundamental premises of the discussion is flawed, the results of that discussion are invalid. I'm implying (well, I'm pretty close to outright stating) that you are incorrect in your assessment and therefore your 'discussion' will yield no valid results.

You'll have to clarify how my assessment was 'short sighted' since I'm pretty darn sure it wasn't.

As an aside, Your 'discussion' is basically a poll. In the old days, topics that could be answered with a yes/no question were considered off topic and moved to the CB or GD.

And worth is economic value is a huge factor in certain parts of the community. The Gaia Exchange is likely the most obvious example of this but it's also common in the GCD and, to a lesser extent some of the role playing forums.

Of course it is also pretty much the sole purpose of the avatar talk forum but that would be cheating.

Spirit

the_true_iori

Generally you edit the initial post rather than quoting a second one then editing it.

I am contributing to the thread, that's how posting works. If you [incorrectly] inferred that I wanted to start a fight based on my critique of your flawed point then that is your fault not mine. Generally if one of the fundamental premises of the discussion is flawed, the results of that discussion are invalid. I'm implying (well, I'm pretty close to outright stating) that you are incorrect in your assessment and therefore your 'discussion' will yield no valid results.

You'll have to clarify how my assessment was 'short sighted' since I'm pretty darn sure it wasn't.

As an aside, Your 'discussion' is basically a poll. In the old days, topics that could be answered with a yes/no question were considered off topic and moved to the CB or GD.

And worth is economic value is a huge factor in certain parts of the community. The Gaia Exchange is likely the most obvious example of this but it's also common in the GCD and, to a lesser extent some of the role playing forums.

Of course it is also pretty much the sole purpose of the avatar talk forum but that would be cheating.

Yeah, hit and run threads arent allowed in the GCD; I've reported a few and they rarely get moved.

Noble Gaian

18,750 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Nerd 50
No, I've never judged someone based on their appearance worth. I don't care if anyone is wearing name brands of thrift store hand-me-downs IRL so it seems silly to do so online with pixels. Besides, we all started out new at one point here. What I care about is if they are a nice person or not.
no. why would i.

Toothsome Lunatic

11,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Honestly, the longer I'm here, the less I look at avatars and the more I look at posts. sweatdrop

Magical Lover

12,100 Points
  • Party Animal 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bookworm 100
I judge people by what they post, usually. Nice avatars do not automatically make nice people, just as poorly matched, poor item value does not mean the person behind it is a bad person.
the_true_iori
Power of Alchemy
Power of Alchemy
the_true_iori
Power of Alchemy
With gold so easy to get through things on the site, or just investing the smallest bit of real money, it would seem insignificant. At least to me, the idea is.

I'm sorry, what? Maybe you should stop hanging out with poor people.

What? Short-sighted much? Maybe a little elitist?

Edit- I am looking for conversation which is what everyone else is doing. I will NOT tolerate your attempt to start a fight. Unless you will contribute, stop.

Mistakes can be made, it happens. Do you feel better for being insulting? Because you made such a simple statement the first time, it was viewed as being short-sighted. You didn't explain anything which could give people the wrong idea. That is your fault, don't say you had nothing to do with a misunderstanding because of one of your posts caused a spark. Rather than imply something, come out and say it. Say what you mean so there isn't any miscommunication. A question was asked, and there are responses.

This does talk about avatars, but this topic wouldn't be allowed in places such as the Exchange, or the Avatar Talk sub-forum. This pertains to the community and how it perceives other users.

Ruthless Raider

I judge users based on their underwear or lack there-of.
Iori, all everyone else is doing is contributing. I am asking you to stop with your harassment, please. All you have done is caused a confrontation where there didn't need to be one. Yes I did screw up with the quote post from earlier. So rather than just mention it, you wanted to continue the cycle. My questions are a little more than a 'yes or no' answer. So if you are not going to contribute, there is no point in you posting again.

Edit- Also, I'd like to think the forum assistant who posted would have moved this thread if it wasn't in the proper location.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff