the gcd is not barton town. i have to stop almost posting replies. lol

anyways, i think the only time i ever pointed out my worth
was when i reached 100 million of worth. o u o in a thread
just to hear about gaia mile stones from other users. = u =

but, i don't tend to judge people based on avatars, but i will
be honest. if my significant other ever dressed like a newbie,
i would probably lavish them with gifts so i didn't look like a
bad significant other. lol x u x

but appearances are paramount on gaia. o x o i think at least.
because, well, if you have a rallytar, certain users will treat
you like you're an illiterate. if you don't have an expensive avi,
the people in zOMG won't crew you to go for an smob run.
the list goes on and on. = 3 =

i've invested... i think... maybe around $200 in gaia? mostly
buying old monthly collectables and random things i can't
even remember anymore. lol i think everything i own now,
i've bought with gaia gold via art commissions or earning it~

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
          My philosophy: The size of the invo matters not, it's all about knowing what to do with it wink

Also, there are tons of people who have been using the site for years and prefer to wear gold shop or starter items. Nothing wrong with that.

Dangerous Loiterer

Delmar Tramontane
Namely in cases where the person interpreting has to determine whether the user is trolling or not.

This exactly!

I think there's a stigma associated with certain default starter avatars because of the recent
influx of bots and trolls that use the same skin-tone, hairstyles and faces. Combine that with
an increasing problem with original usernames, and it's hard to tell whether somebody is a
bot, troll or a genuine user.

I remember when people were complaining how Gaia was starting to give new users "starter sets" rather than the peasants clothing.. I didn't think the sets looked that great. There was an entire movement and guild made to complain, and I found it pretty funny.

Perfect Pumpkin

Of course people judge you by your avatar. It's one of the very first impressions you get of a user. It's ridiculous to say you don't. However... Making this judgment, then taking other factors into consideration, stepping back and making as realistic an opinion as you can.... That is the full process nobody ever talks about. It happens subconsciously.

That's what everyone else does. Not me. I have a beautiful and brilliant mind capable of only caring about my own avatar.

Questionable Mage

Impressive avatars and digital wealth are common in the GCD. Often, elitism stems from join date. It's like nouveau riche vs. old aristocracy. xD Totally unjustified, of course.
J 4 C K
Of course people judge you by your avatar. It's one of the very first impressions you get of a user. It's ridiculous to say you don't. However... Making this judgment, then taking other factors into consideration, stepping back and making as realistic an opinion as you can.... That is the full process nobody ever talks about. It happens subconsciously.

That's what everyone else does. Not me. I have a beautiful and brilliant mind capable of only caring about my own avatar.

I was just about to tip you... then I saw your sig. Also, your comment made me grin.

Shapeshifter

Power of Alchemy
I remember when people were complaining how Gaia was starting to give new users "starter sets" rather than the peasants clothing.. I didn't think the sets looked that great. There was an entire movement and guild made to complain, and I found it pretty funny.

Seriously? It happened during my hiatus, so I wasn't here to bear witness to all that glory.
But a guild and a movement?
Isn't that an overreaction well when it comes to Gaia I am not sure what defines "overreaction" anymore :s
Are there any threads that you could link me to?

And thanks for the tip!

Dangerous Loiterer

J 4 C K

Darn, I accidentally tipped you. D:

I do agree with what you say, though.

Twinky Dave's Senpai

Unleashed Dragon

It really depends on the forum if I take the avi look into consideration. In the exchange buying a pricey item, I want the Sellers avi to show some value if only to stop my paranoia about ill gotten items. Hell even site feedback, I want people out of starters showing they gave the site time and earned something even other gold shop items before wanting to make changes.

I'm more likely to judge people on post styles... If it cluttered with pictures, random words and colors I just scroll past. It feels like they are more concerned on how the message looks over what it says. (I know that isn't true)

As for calculating wealth, I do it often and share with friends. We like to see if our investments go good or bad. Plus my rl buddies and I have a little bit of a competitive thing going.
Notebook Friend
Power of Alchemy

Seriously? It happened during my hiatus, so I wasn't here to bear witness to all that glory.
But a guild and a movement?
Isn't that an overreaction well when it comes to Gaia I am not sure what defines "overreaction" anymore :s
Are there any threads that you could link me to?

And thanks for the tip!

I'll have to do some digging and look. Those threads are years and years old by this point.

Dapper Genius

7,800 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Loiterer 100
I think I can say with confidence that I have stopped really caring about avatars, at least as a basis of merit judgement.

And as for my own? ...I could afford far better than this. I chose my s**t based on rainbowyness.

... *eyes it, counts on fingers*
... I really don't think it's worth more than 2, 3 million? ******** are at a premium, I have none spare to give.

Mega Bit

I judge to the extent that i try not to buy things in the marketplace from completely naked avatars, because I'm scared the items they sell might be hacked or not legit in some way.

Also if someone is wearing starter clothes and posting spam / bad links / inflammatory comments, well then, obviously I'm going to judge. (and report that stuff too)

I think if someone has a really beautiful avatar, I may be curious to know more about them.

Buggy Survivor

No, I've thought about it, and I really don't make a lot of judgments or assumptions about a person's character or personality based solely on their avatar. Reading their posts or taking a look at their profiles gives me a much better idea. The judgments I do make are very neutral and not set in stone.

Kawaii Bunny

I think when I first started I paid more attention to avatars, I sort of assumed that people with nicer avatars would be friendlier. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it was.

I don't do that now. I'm less concerned about running into unfriendly people, so there's no point. I don't see the point in bragging about avi's either, because I don't keep track of how much items cost and therefore have no idea how much my avi is worth. It's not important anyway.

Quick Reply

Submit
      Manage Your Items
      Other Stuff
      Get GCash
      Offers
      Get Items
      More Items
      Where Everyone Hangs Out
      Other Community Areas
      Virtual Spaces
      Fun Stuff