Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

7,400 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Loiterer 100
Glitches.
We love them. Or hate them. Or both. But do you ever... get attached?

I can think of a few cases off the top of my head where people have become quite fond of their glitches- sometimes after having wrestled with them for years. I'm in a class on Grief and Loss right now (I'm an excellent student, shh), and it seems apparent that any emotional feeling- positive or negative- toward a person or object does have a cognitive consequence of some sort when it is lost.

I am not, of course, saying that one must cry like a child when they lose a glitch that they have incorporated into part of their digital character or being. However, I, for one, have had glitches that I have struggled to work around, then found it unexpectedly corrected. Suddenly, you don't see that block of green pixels on your screen anymore- your hair doesn't cut off in that awkward yet cool way, or your leg mod doesn't get that odd blue glitter around it from the Twilight skin. But how can that be? It's done that for years- and perhaps in some way it's a little digital representation of the unstoppable march of time. Progress, with the old left behind- it's good, isn't it? So why do you still miss that which bothered you in the first place? It looked awkward. And silly. And you didn't like it. And yet you did, and you somehow miss clicking your tongue at it even if you never hit 'save' when it occurred.

One could apply it just as readily to site glitches- inconveniences! A pox on your digital experience! And yet, I will admit, I still think of that Sushi error screen, and miss it terribly. It wasn't so much the glitch itself- it was that snapshot in time. My teenage years. Youth. A time I hated! I was a miserable little bint that pushed her desk as close as it could go to the teachers', and wrote soppy emo gothic poetry about what a special ******** snowflake I was. I was tremendously unhappy at the time- but I was young, and the future held an air of mystery, and the reality hadn't lived up to my lofty, impossible imaginings.

Perhaps the nostalgic clinging to things we didn't enjoy to begin with is more a sort of fear. Of aging? Of being left behind? Of, ultimately, mortality, either insofar as cultural presence or our very earthly being? Or perhaps I shouldn't have had as much coffee before I came to this class? (seriously, it was like a litre).

Spoons, because things seem to get chatterboxed if you assume people can find their own discussion points and thus I must patronize:
- Have YOU ever attached to a glitch? Or have you seen another do so? Maybe you're doing it right now?
- How did you, or they, react? Was it more intense, or different to what you expected?
- Did you think it silly or irrational? (in which case I hope I've elucidated the reasons for you somewhat here)
- What's your theory on why it happens, anyway? (Mine is from applying assorted theories of grief to it)
- Should I resave my avatar, or remain a sea beast who is celebrating his newest hat acquisition with his best friend Fred Floaty-Eyes?
- Why did I drink so much coffee when I don't really want to piss my pants in class?

EDIT:
I'll add it to the spoons, as well:
- What of people that lord their now-unattainable glitches over others? ... What does that say to you? ... Ever feel a bit of schadenfreude when they lose it after being so exclusionary over it?
- What benefits are there to you with these glitches? Notoriety? New glitched friends (as was the case with the Invisibones?)

Aged Elder

back when Zurgs were still allergic to tattoos, about 2/3 of my avatars had invisible bases. I was quite upset when it suddenly didn't work any more. If i had known, i would have stayed the same on this account and moved all my other stuff to make a new main.

Prophet

User ImageUser Image
♥ ♥

Can't say I've ever been attached to a glitch as far
as avatar's go. Most always made me look hideous or pissed me off.

I did want to try that one where the avatar disappeared and you could
just wear a cute SDplus or a stuffed animal or something and it would
look like that was your avatar. Couldn't find out how to do it. Nobody
would tell me and I couldn't find it anywhere so I gave up after a big
'******** you people 8D' and never really cared since. I enjoy my avatar
too much to want to do that sort of thing now.

the rats in the c e l l a r you know who you are

Genius

I find that glitches take me out of the immersion experience. I really like to sink deep into the world, but seeing glitches just reminds me that I'm playing a computer game.

Shadowy Rogue

10,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I think that under my scarf, I still technically have no mouth.

I think that since I started, they redid the way mouths work like three times or something, and at one point I lost my default mouth, but never saved a new one.

Though it's kind of irrelevant, because I always wear a mouth covering scarf or the like.

Handsome Shapeshifter

14,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Battle: Knight 100
You're looking at a holder of the Black Bug. cool

Shadowy Rogue

10,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Personally, I don't really care much about glitches one way or the other. In my eyes, most of them are just annoying. For instance, there's a long running problem with sleeve/arm dissonace which still continues to this day with some items, but that's not a neat glitch that someone would want to save.

I get annoyed when people get all haughty about their glitches. because most of them are really not that interesting. Even worse when people complain about the admins forcing them to get rid of their pointless glitches.

Dapper Genius

7,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Loiterer 100
The Rogue Fedora
Personally, I don't really care much about glitches one way or the other. In my eyes, most of them are just annoying. For instance, there's a long running problem with sleeve/arm dissonace which still continues to this day with some items, but that's not a neat glitch that someone would want to save.

I get annoyed when people get all haughty about their glitches. because most of them are really not that interesting. Even worse when people complain about the admins forcing them to get rid of their pointless glitches.

I get more annoyed when people are haughty about skins.

I find it one thing to be attached to a glitch, and another to lord it over others (the same thing applies to grombiism, 03s, high-end RIG pets, etc). Any manner of exclusivity used in that fashion does irk me, I'll admit.

Spirit

If you're lording anything over anyone's head, it's probably your asshat. Glitches are cool. I participated in a couple, then resaved when I was bored of it.

Beloved Perfectionist

WAHHHHHHH i just changed my avi back to normal. but i really did love the missing black glitch.

User Image

i am kicking myself for not sticking all this on a mule lol

Scholarly Storyteller

29,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Dude if you want the same effect just equip headless marie + your mythica eyes. there'll be some chopped head blood-age but the effect is pretty similar.

when gaia fixed the invisible glitch i just found other ways to achieve the same effects through non-glitch items, although it never really looks as good as the invisible glitch type of avatar, but still the substitute was good enough biggrin

Dapper Genius

7,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Loiterer 100
Dan D Lie N
WAHHHHHHH i just changed my avi back to normal. but i really did love the missing black glitch.

User Image

i am kicking myself for not sticking all this on a mule lol

I did like yours. Seemed one of the more 'distinctive' examples of the glitch (and hence part of my inspiration in creating the thread).

I half-expected you to keep it, honestly. Was it a hard decision not to?

Dapper Genius

7,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Loiterer 100
Existential Existence
Dude if you want the same effect just equip headless marie + your mythica eyes. there'll be some chopped head blood-age but the effect is pretty similar.

when gaia fixed the invisible glitch i just found other ways to achieve the same effects through non-glitch items, although it never really looks as good as the invisible glitch type of avatar, but still the substitute was good enough biggrin

Could have fooled me. I can't really see any avatar on yours.
(And I would, but I'd lose my silhouette sexy leg!)

Do you think they'll ever bring about a true invisible item?
... What sort of implication do you think it'd have on this sort of 'attached-to' glitch?

Scholarly Storyteller

29,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Lulu the Mainspring Lady
Existential Existence

Could have fooled me. I can't really see any avatar on yours.
(And I would, but I'd lose my silhouette sexy leg!)

Do you think they'll ever bring about a true invisible item?
... What sort of implication do you think it'd have on this sort of 'attached-to' glitch?

oh yeah that sexy leg dramallama
tbh i don't think they would. unless they decided to charge like $$ for it. also items that show the back layers of other items will make it more transparent which items are getting gypped a bit with background layers (e.g. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. lol the artist totally didn't even bother pixel'ing the scarf area behind the head XD). although to be fair, i think lately artists are getting better at making sure that the area directly behind the avatar is also pixelated in. it's just that corner cutting shows up quite a bit with older items, especially the cheap sponsor/non-cash items.

Shadowy Rogue

10,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Lulu the Mainspring Lady
The Rogue Fedora

I get more annoyed when people are haughty about skins.

I find it one thing to be attached to a glitch, and another to lord it over others (the same thing applies to grombiism, 03s, high-end RIG pets, etc). Any manner of exclusivity used in that fashion does irk me, I'll admit.
Do grombies still complain about hats? I remember a few years ago there were a few stage 5 grombies (the one that actually have the grunny biting on their head) kept complaining because they couldn't have hats or hair, and the obvious answer to them was that if you want hats (and normal faces and such) you can cure your grombie skin, and then they would throw a shitstorm about how much they love their special skin and how much "work" it was to keep.

But I now I can't say that I've seen a stage 5 grombie in a while. I'm not sure if they're just gone, or if the number of potions and skins over the last several years has simply created work around's so they aren't visible...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff