Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
Chibi Halo

Yeah where Casimir Trees are getting their energy from is still the mystery

I'll go out on a limb here and propose the hypothesis that Casimir trees convert very large amounts of electromagnetic energy radiated from this system's star, and further hypothesize that the electromagnetic energy they convert is not just the really narrow band of frequencies that our retinas detect (and other photosynthetic plant life convert), but could start at infrared and spread out to the very edge of ultraviolet frequencies that can penetrate Gaia Prime's magnetic field.

If this is true, the trees want to ascend further into the atmosphere to access more of the higher energy ultraviolet frequencies as the atmosphere gets thinner and there's less diatomic oxygen to absorb it and convert to triatomic oxygen (or ozone), but they can't go too high, since the carbon dioxide feedstock they need for the reaction is heavier than both the diatomic oxygen and diatomic nitrogen that make up the vast majority of the atmosphere.

Time-traveling Senshi

Pie
The Iron Magus
Oh, my.

I read that in a George Takei voice.

Chibi Halo
          Yeah that's definitely one of the many things that his spoilage is responsible for. So, as I was getting at, the trees on the god are dependent on him for the good soil that he helps create by spoiling organic materials while at the same time he's dependent on those trees to keep him aloft. He does say it's those trees that are keeping him in the sky when Edmund and Brenn first speak with him.

Yeah where Casimir Trees are getting their energy from is still the mystery but the fact that they are turning some form of energy into Casimir Matter stored within the trees themselves in order to become antgraivty power is a pretty solid theory.

We've officially expanded the list of candidates to an unknowable amount of yet unknown energies.

You know you're a scientist when this is more exciting to you than getting an actual answer. emotion_dowant

I think before we settle on 'probably Ghi', we should dig into the folklore of the four gods a bit and see if we can dig up any hints...

... aaaand the word 'Void' catches my eye right on that page, but it's not the god that Nyx would be associated with. Gaia might be playing fast and loose with the mythos here, or we might just need a more reliable source than friggin' TV Tropes. Anyone have some good books on the subject?

Bea Lavesa
Pie
(Except for one thing... what, exactly, is the evolutionary advantage of that? Does the height help their seeds spread, or something...?)

According to ole Wiki, the Gaia hypothesis, as it relates to Earth, "was initially criticized for being teleological and contradicting principles of natural selection". So depending on how strongly the World Of Gaia (being the one we're talking about here with Santa in a mecha suit and so one, geez the terms get a bit overlapping) draws inspiration from this approach to life, you might not actually have had any natural selection, hence no evolutionary advantages, but rather a purposeful (or playful) divine design from the get-go.

Pie
Fun fact that this conversation is making me think of: Do you know amber can generate an electric charge?

Arguably one of my favourite etymologies. And suddenly the idea of Casimir sap as storage of all sorts of crazy energy potentials (not just flight) emerges.. Hm!

Tch! You're right. I'm more of a student of evolutionary science than theology, so yeah, my mind does not usually default to "a god wanted it that way" to an explanation for unusual traits becoming predominant in the population.

At the risk of getting barred from entering the Casimir Alliance again... I wonder what would happen if you tried to eat the sap, or some of the seeds?

Guin - Aoiichi
I don't think Hive world and Nyx are connected. The star portal is broken and it ends up in another world. BUT the colors of it is the same as the null. Maybe the star portal and Null share a connection. They both have the same utility of transportation. Maybe the Star portal is made of refined null crystals. Or callibrated null crystals? That can be used for interstellar travel?

While in Otami Ruins it seems to be used to talk to the " Spirits " . And top of the that the Gian Null asteroid IS in space... Maybe the null connects all? And Nyx is somehow able to escape throught it?
Did you read the backstory on the buddies doesn't say it duplicates? or copy's?

Oh, good thought! It could be other worlds making use of the same energy. Though... that begs even more questions about the energy cycle of Null, since if other planets are able to use it... that suggests "not local". Which could certainly fit into Nyx's space and moon connections.

It does, but we have a history of Animated being able to replicate... though... hm. That was the NeXuS explanation of how Animated 'reproduce' -- basically, the excess energy flowing from the Rift generates duplicates of objects it's already attached onto. (The science of which has had me scratching my head from day one, but it was the core idea behind X's 'breeding program' -- to wait until the Rift started making copies of the Sealab X.) If Null can cause replication like that, too...

Gah. See, stuff like this is why I wish zOMG! hadn't been abandoned. It had a lot of cool concepts, and a LOT of unanswered questions.

Void jumped out at you on that page? Did you not see the line that said "turtle and a snake having sex"? Yeah we do need to dig deeper into the gods in order to understand all of this better.

Oh and you should check in on the GCA too because we are kind of popping up some theories about Casimir Matter and how it's used when in seed pod form. Pretty much one theory is that the seed pod is processed much like cocoa nibs are processed with roasting, cracking, winnowing, grounding them into a paste, and then the paste is then liquified and used as a fuel for very short term. It was very interesting that the person who came up with that thought of the Casimir Seed Pod in the same way I was last night when I compared it to a Cocoa Seed Pod.

Retro Punk

Pie
The Iron Magus
Pie
The Iron Magus
Oh, my.

I read that in a George Takei voice.

Good.

BTW, did you see this question in ATA? It touches on Nyxian crystals/energy.

Question
Manga

Will there be , a manga that explains what Nyx's / the other gods were doing during this event?

And if this event's outcome goes in favor of the Demon's will the current timeline be changed?

Also i've read in GCD that there is a connection between Nyx and the null crystals or buddie crystals of zomg. WIll there be a manga about that??

Also how far back has the current plot line been prepared ? I ask because of the "Nyxian crystals" that were mentioned .... i dont remember where but a while ago.

Also , What are the properties of the five gods. Meili was supposed to guide humanity. And Nyx ....turned out derpy. What about the remaining three?

Answer
In order to prevent spoilers I'll just respond to only some of your questions, I apologize! There is a large chunk of the timeline already blocked out- the other siblings are not going to be introduced for quite some time- there are no plans to tie in the Nyxian crystals from Zomg into its own manga- the baby gods are all watching the Event plot unfold and you will see the outcome of this!

I did see it! Not the first time -- I was just settling in when AtS had already started, so I skimmed a lot of it -- but it was pointed out to me by Salathielly in the SOP guild.

It's a little oddly phrased, isn't it? I'm not sure what to make of it... I mean, of course the crystals won't be getting a manga. It almost sounds like it's referring to a zOMG manga (HNNNNNNNGH)... if it is referring to the current manga, that kinda punches a hole in the "crystals are helping Nyx come back" theory, but those words 'its own' are driving me nuts and making it sound like this was interpreted as a question about a spinoff.

Yeah , i got the feeling i was misunderstood . I meant to say in the current manga. Actually i think of all of Gaia's manga , as one manga with different chapters. So that was my intention. IF , it woulld get an explanation in the current manga . Either "Return" or it's next chapter. Whatevs.
I wasn't my intention to suggest a spinoff. AT least we have a confirmation on Nyxian crystals. I do wonder though , what they mean by a " good chunk of the timeline ....blocked out". What does "blocked out" mean ?

Trash Witch

Okay, just to make sure it's official: I am super intrigued by everything that goes on here and it's quickly becoming a daily gem. Ingesting Casimir sap sounds like really good science, and on a related note I wonder what Casimir amber would do to mosquitoes that get encased in it à la Jurassic Park. But apart from that I'll hold back on my babbling this time because I'm sort of looking into the actual Gaia hypothesis finally (and apparently some people allow themselves to call it the Gaia theory now, mostly Lovelock himself I bet I mean fancy that).

Also it is becoming increasingly obvious that my mind can't properly disconnect Gaia and Final Fantasy elements from each other, so while the rest of you dabble in proper and elegant physics, expect me to provide cold hard evidence in the form of disconnected video game tropes and odd references to Campbellian monomyth.
emotion_awesome

Also I got myself some harmonic background! I hate background blocks with something resembling passion, but this one is so pretty and lush and — Gaian I guess.

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Guin - Aoiichi

Yeah , i got the feeling i was misunderstood . I meant to say in the current manga. Actually i think of all of Gaia's manga , as one manga with different chapters. So that was my intention. IF , it woulld get an explanation in the current manga . Either "Return" or it's next chapter. Whatevs.
I wasn't my intention to suggest a spinoff. AT least we have a confirmation on Nyxian crystals. I do wonder though , what they mean by a " good chunk of the timeline ....blocked out". What does "blocked out" mean ?

I believe in this case "blocked out" means "planned." Probably in rough outline form.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Chibi Halo
          Void jumped out at you on that page? Did you not see the line that said "turtle and a snake having sex"? Yeah we do need to dig deeper into the gods in order to understand all of this better.

Oh and you should check in on the GCA too because we are kind of popping up some theories about Casimir Matter and how it's used when in seed pod form. Pretty much one theory is that the seed pod is processed much like cocoa nibs are processed with roasting, cracking, winnowing, grounding them into a paste, and then the paste is then liquified and used as a fuel for very short term. It was very interesting that the person who came up with that thought of the Casimir Seed Pod in the same way I was last night when I compared it to a Cocoa Seed Pod.

Yeah, but it's folklore, that stuff is normal. Plus there's nothing about a turtle and snake having sex in Gaia's canon... is there? gonk

Maybe it's just me, but the seed pods look a little more... fruit-like to me. They might not need that much processing. Perhaps you could simply squeeze the Casimir Matter out of it, sort of like squeezing oil from an olive?

Time-traveling Senshi

Pie
Chibi Halo

Yeah, but it's folklore, that stuff is normal. Plus there's nothing about a turtle and snake having sex in Gaia's canon... is there? gonk

Maybe it's just me, but the seed pods look a little more... fruit-like to me. They might not need that much processing. Perhaps you could simply squeeze the Casimir Matter out of it, sort of like squeezing oil from an olive?

Let's hope not because man that'd be some messed up stuff there. xp

Either way, whether it's juice or oil or pulp it's that stuff that eventually becomes the sap in the tree. I might be more cherry like too.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Guin - Aoiichi

I feel like one small problem with AtS -- which is one of the few they didn't solve from AtA -- is that they're trying to answer as much as possible as quick as possible. There's a lot of room for them to misread and misinterpret. gonk

As TIM said, I believe they mean it in terms of planning out. I've seen the phrase before, though I can't recall where. IIRC it refers to having the 'blocks' of the timeline planned out, in terms of story arcs and whatnot.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Bea Lavesa
Okay, just to make sure it's official: I am super intrigued by everything that goes on here and it's quickly becoming a daily gem. Ingesting Casimir sap sounds like really good science, and on a related note I wonder what Casimir amber would do to mosquitoes that get encased in it à la Jurassic Park. But apart from that I'll hold back on my babbling this time because I'm sort of looking into the actual Gaia hypothesis finally (and apparently some people allow themselves to call it the Gaia theory now, mostly Lovelock himself I bet I mean fancy that).

Also it is becoming increasingly obvious that my mind can't properly disconnect Gaia and Final Fantasy elements from each other, so while the rest of you dabble in proper and elegant physics, expect me to provide cold hard evidence in the form of disconnected video game tropes and odd references to Campbellian monomyth.
emotion_awesome

Also I got myself some harmonic background! I hate background blocks with something resembling passion, but this one is so pretty and lush and — Gaian I guess.

Refined Casimir syrup. It'll be just like the Wonka Factory scene. emotion_dowant

so does that make NeXuS the Gaian version of Shinra or...

Also, I 'unno, I think backgrounds are a lot of fun! At least when you're not doing Towns or anything like that, then they look silly.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Chibi Halo

Either way, whether it's juice or oil or pulp it's that stuff that eventually becomes the sap in the tree. I might be more cherry like too.

"We've got a new storyline for the Christmas plot... and boy, are YOU gonna be surprised! emotion_awesome "

Ooh, cherry? Now I really want to know what it tastes like. Though... Casimir pastries might be a really terrible idea.

Time-traveling Senshi

Pie
Chibi Halo

"We've got a new storyline for the Christmas plot... and boy, are YOU gonna be surprised! emotion_awesome "

Ooh, cherry? Now I really want to know what it tastes like. Though... Casimir pastries might be a really terrible idea.

We're taking brotherly love to a whole new level. xp

Yeah I don't think the seed pods would taste too well though. I mean they might look like something like a cherry or a salmonberry but they could taste and smell like Durian.

Trash Witch

Pie
Refined Casimir syrup. It'll be just like the Wonka Factory scene. emotion_dowant

so does that make NeXuS the Gaian version of Shinra or...

It's too long since I saw that flick, presuming you mean the Burton one, so you'd have to remind me! gonk As for the taste of these things though, Casimir trees seem to have such a variety of individual traits that I'd wager anything from ash-and-gasoline to fresh-wool-and-peppermint goes.

I may or may not have listened to the Shinra Company theme for 80% of the time I've been in this thread. Of course the idea of a lifestream occurs fairly commonly in that series, and what with airships being discussed I can't stop thinking about the rather morbid power source used to make 'em fly in FFIX.

But slightly more on topic, I agree: examination of the Four Gods concept will probably be the most yielding activity given what little we know right now. Gaia's exact phrasing being that her sons 'scattered to the four corners of the earth' and that they 'could hone my world and guide the development of life' seems to hammer it down pretty well. It also seems to suggest, insofar as the goddess is reliable and provides exhaustive information, that the emergence of life on Gaia did not develop by means of natural selection alone. As for whether that implies a purposeful development or not I don't know (could be the gods just get a kick out of it!? Did Gaia consort with the personifications of other Biospheres in the cosmos and — oops!?), but it might be worth keeping in mind.

So can anyone, I'unno, just off the top of their head compartmentalise life into four solid aspects? (I sure can't!)

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Pie
Chibi Halo

Mmm, pastries so good they'll send you straight to heaven.

Unless you're tethered down before you start eating. xd

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Bea Lavesa
It's too long since I saw that flick, presuming you mean the Burton one, so you'd have to remind me! gonk As for the taste of these things though, Casimir trees seem to have such a variety of individual traits that I'd wager anything from ash-and-gasoline to fresh-wool-and-peppermint goes.

I may or may not have listened to the Shinra Company theme for 80% of the time I've been in this thread. Of course the idea of a lifestream occurs fairly commonly in that series, and what with airships being discussed I can't stop thinking about the rather morbid power source used to make 'em fly in FFIX.

But slightly more on topic, I agree: examination of the Four Gods concept will probably be the most yielding activity given what little we know right now. Gaia's exact phrasing being that her sons 'scattered to the four corners of the earth' and that they 'could hone my world and guide the development of life' seems to hammer it down pretty well. It also seems to suggest, insofar as the goddess is reliable and provides exhaustive information, that the emergence of life on Gaia did not develop by means of natural selection alone. As for whether that implies a purposeful development or not I don't know (could be the gods just get a kick out of it!? Did Gaia consort with the personifications of other Biospheres in the cosmos and — oops!?), but it might be worth keeping in mind.

So can anyone, I'unno, just off the top of their head compartmentalise life into four solid aspects? (I sure can't!)

I refer to the fizzy drinks scene, of course! Proof that this is the most terrifying children's movie ever. Hopefully, if Gaians do try to eat Casimir, they'll do so responsibly and with a firm anchor to the ground.

Oh my god don't bring up the FFIX version. Probably my favorite FF, but... X, nooo, what are you doing? gonk

Hmm. You're right. I can think of a lot of ways to organize life, but none that fall neatly into four categories. On the other hand, that's scientifically. I feel like we might find better answers looking into supernatural distinctions, since it seems like we can chalk the bulk of normal organic life up to Meili. But that might be my own interpretation.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Chibi Halo
          We're taking brotherly love to a whole new level. xp

Yeah I don't think the seed pods would taste too well though. I mean they might look like something like a cherry or a salmonberry but they could taste and smell like Durian.

Supposedly, the taste of durian is actually pretty good! It's just the smell that's awful.

I wasn't talking about the taste, though. I mean actually ingesting the Casimir Matter... see the Wonka scene I linked in the above post. And I mean, that's assuming the floating properties didn't kick in during the baking process. That could make a very messy oven very quickly!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff