Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Hunter

12,800 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Most of the time it can post and run but you get a quote or reply every now and again, depending on how witty, clever, or sexy your post is

Stellar Succubus

Slick Southpaw
VVhip
Just 'cause a post isn't quoted, doesn't mean it isn't read... there's always... the lurkers

They're out there, and they're watching... always watching... whee

this sounds so ominous crying

They know all your secrets!

The LURKERS muahahahaha!

PS: Hello to any lurkers out there, please don't eat me. I love you.

OG Member

Yerosh
yeah you don't get replied to unless your post is really long

rofl Funniest misconception I've seen thus far.
Das not even true.

Moving on, when most people agree with your post yet do not feel like replying, they tip it.
When people disagree with you, you are most likely to get quoted and a short e-peen debate ensues.

FXMLDR's Wife

Hopeless Sweetheart

Zseigh Di
Yerosh
yeah you don't get replied to unless your post is really long

rofl Funniest misconception I've seen thus far.
Das not even true.

Moving on, when most people agree with your post yet do not feel like replying, they tip it.
When people disagree with you, you are most likely to get quoted and a short e-peen debate ensues.

yeah i got 4 quotes and it's barely a sentence

Smitten Businessman

King of Havoc
Valkines Cryas

I usually know people have read my posts because I'm tipped. Lately it's like the "like" button on Facebook, and is kinda voiding the chances for otherwise insightful conversation...

I'm highly guilty of using the tip button when I've run out of things to say, of if I can not think of an adequate reply but want to let the user know that I did indeed read their post.

Huh! That's actually a pretty smart way to end a conversation ( maybe not so much keep it alive). It's always a little awkward when you've run out of things to say and don't want to just end it with, "Well, that was fun. Let's stop talking now." or something.

( Nice username, btw. heart I'm a big Tales fan! )

Butting in, but since Valkines said almost exactly what I was going to say...

I don't know if it's happenstance or if there's causation involved, but I feel like the forums have become much quieter in general since the advent of tipping. One the one hand as a lurker I love the feature and use it a lot; now at least people know I'm reading what they say. On the other I do post less now that we've got it, because I feel like I can just tip someone who already said what I was thinking.

That said, GCD in particular has been a "post-and-run" kind of forum for almost all of its lifespan. Maybe people are just more likely to engage or maybe the herd's been thinned and the remaining users know each other better, but I actually feel like there's better back and forth here than there used to be. (Though I couldn't give you an exact year for when things were at their worst because I'm an old fart and my memory is terrible.)

In a relationship with VICTUURl

Hardcore Man-Lover

Well, as long as you stay in the forums, it is pretty quiet. If you're in zOMG or any other flash spaces though, there might just be some drama lurking at the corner.
Especially when you've made a good number of friends....that also knows one another.
More often than not, I've encountered users who are just looking for trouble/to piss others off/trolls. All of them ignored (Except one, because that one was quite smart, entertaining, and I wasn't one of their victims).
Just now, I've encountered one, but since I'm in a relatively good mood and their trolling didn't get to me- I spared them a fireball or two.
I have their username remembered however, so I can subject them to a barrage of fireballs on their next offense.

Royal Werewolf

43,200 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
My main hang out is the WG ((word games)), so there isn't much, or hardly any, posts being quoted. I did have it happen to me a few times, but I think it helps people, so they don't get swooshed...which tends to happen in some of the threads. It's happened to me as well, but I fix my post, so the person above me doesn't think I've forgotten about them. Though, I find it weird when people quote me in the Word Association game. =/

Perfectionist

23,600 Points
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Married 100
  • The Key to Victory 50
☠ ☠ "Ring a bell so the serpent hears us, let her know that we're tried and true. ." ☠ ☠
King of Havoc
"post-my-opinion-and-ruuuuuun!"

^ This right here made me laugh, because it reminded me of that one episode of Ghost Hunters where they were in the Eastern State Penitentiary, and one guy shouted "DUDE, RUN!!!" That's seriously what it reminded me of! XD LOL! I'm dying right now!

Anyway, back on topic here, Uhm. . . If a person says almost exactly what I'm thinking, or if I just like their general mindset- Even if it's something that goes against how I feel about something- I tip the person. I tip them whether or not I agree with them, and most of the time they make valid points about something anyway.
Sometimes you don't really need to say anything, really. A simple nod of "I got you" is enough! smile

☠ ☠ ". .No the beasts, they won't get near us- And we're not scared of You." ☠ ☠

Friendly Poster

I Sinistro I
☠ ☠ "Ring a bell so the serpent hears us, let her know that we're tried and true. ." ☠ ☠

^ This right here made me laugh, because it reminded me of that one episode of Ghost Hunters where they were in the Eastern State Penitentiary, and one guy shouted "DUDE, RUN!!!" That's seriously what it reminded me of! XD LOL! I'm dying right now!

Anyway, back on topic here, Uhm. . . If a person says almost exactly what I'm thinking, or if I just like their general mindset- Even if it's something that goes against how I feel about something- I tip the person. I tip them whether or not I agree with them, and most of the time they make valid points about something anyway.
Sometimes you don't really need to say anything, really. A simple nod of "I got you" is enough! smile

☠ ☠ ". .No the beasts, they won't get near us- And we're not scared of You." ☠ ☠

I love that episode of Ghost Hunters! ( I also love Ghost Adventures. Watching them "bro!" each other to death while they're terrified is hilarious~ )

Personally, I haven't tipped anyone yet. I'm actually trying to hold off on tipping anyone for a while! It's not a bad way to let someone know you did happen to read their post, but I feel like a lot of people enjoy being quoted and directly spoken to more. Now, that may just be my perception on it, and I could be wrong, but I like trying to really start a conversation with other users!

Sweet Glitch

Point, though I guess that when a forum is constantly replied the only nagged is the OP so they might read it, till the post frequency last.

As casual lurker I'd tend to read the first page to get a general concept, after the second page the discussion sometimes gets dismissed.

And I guess that people do often prefer to not be quoted, given that might be that epiphany only last during that post and debate isn't inside the plans. Others might encounter the usual "THIS" while another will find a troll or probably and TLR wink attempt....Or something like that.

With this, I'm not saying that is not important but to some people is a way to set their thoughts free and somehow stop the nuisance in the brain.
Hi razz cool stare

Rainbow Tycoon

33,625 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Tycoon 200
I do get quoted for short stuff though. Probably because I'm opinionated or just open my post up to discussion. Or I make it so that the person who made the thread will reply.
You sometimes can get a sense of what kinda things people will reply to and when.

If I really want to be quoted I just quote someone else.
Personally I think gaia should have the option of having more posts per page if you want it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff