• Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Brandisher 100
J 4 C K
Ninja Katze
J 4 C K
Erinnerung
Valkines Cryas

I usually know people have read my posts because I'm tipped. Lately it's like the "like" button on Facebook, and is kinda voiding the chances for otherwise insightful conversation...

I'm highly guilty of using the tip button when I've run out of things to say, of if I can not think of an adequate reply but want to let the user know that I did indeed read their post.

Personally, I likely wouldn't say anything at all if it was simple agreement with a post. At least with the tips there's a non-spammy way to show appreciation...
Tipping. Bluh..

You know, I didn't understand why you hated tips at first, but over time, people tipping me and me thinking it's a reply, well, it gets on my nerves more and more. Well unless people are tipping a post that's more of a statement with no discussion purposes. Even then though.
That's not my reason.

Enlighten me?

Timid Receiver

Ninja Katze
J 4 C K
Ninja Katze
J 4 C K
Erinnerung
Valkines Cryas

I usually know people have read my posts because I'm tipped. Lately it's like the "like" button on Facebook, and is kinda voiding the chances for otherwise insightful conversation...

I'm highly guilty of using the tip button when I've run out of things to say, of if I can not think of an adequate reply but want to let the user know that I did indeed read their post.

Personally, I likely wouldn't say anything at all if it was simple agreement with a post. At least with the tips there's a non-spammy way to show appreciation...
Tipping. Bluh..

You know, I didn't understand why you hated tips at first, but over time, people tipping me and me thinking it's a reply, well, it gets on my nerves more and more. Well unless people are tipping a post that's more of a statement with no discussion purposes. Even then though.
That's not my reason.

Enlighten me?
Tipping is a feature I can't turn on, off, accept or deny. It's morally wrong. Nobody should have the ability to affect my gold balance without my say so.

Magical Cat

11,650 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Brandisher 100
J 4 C K
Ninja Katze
J 4 C K
Ninja Katze
J 4 C K
Tipping. Bluh..

That's not my reason.

Enlighten me?
Tipping is a feature I can't turn on, off, accept or deny. It's morally wrong. Nobody should have the ability to affect my gold balance without my say so.

*snorts* whee that sounds about right coming from you. I can understand that, I like the ability to turn things on and off if I don't find them to my liking for whatever reason. I'd rather not have a personal tip jar so people actually reply to what I'm saying rather then just tip it and move on.

Friendly Poster

BOMB4Y

Yup, happens all the time in quick, rather large forums such as the Chatterbox. yum_puddi We often make rapid-fire posts and rarely get quoted or have it read. Still, we post for a chance of it happening! We have a custom of sometimes tipping posts we've read if we're not replying, though. Not sure if this is done in other forums.

Personally I don't prefer fancy post styles, especially those with small text, which I don't make a habit to read at all, even when quoted. I rarely quote those, so personally... I don't think people are really quoted over post styles or a way of writing. In random I seem to have quoted more people with very minimally modified styles, or just plain text.

I've noticed it's actually a lot easier to quote plain text here in the past couple of minutes. Trying to trim down all of the code to get to a specific part of the quote without murdering the font/style is pretty trying.. sweatdrop

Nice cosplay, by the way! It's pretty spot-on.

Timid Receiver

Ninja Katze
J 4 C K
Ninja Katze
J 4 C K
Ninja Katze
J 4 C K
Tipping. Bluh..

That's not my reason.

Enlighten me?

*snorts* whee that sounds about right coming from you. I can understand that, I like the ability to turn things on and off if I don't find them to my liking for whatever reason. I'd rather not have a personal tip jar so people actually reply to what I'm saying rather then just tip it and move on.
This is also one of those things I was talking about earlier in this thread. Do I know you?

Friendly Poster

Valkines Cryas

I'm actually starting to wonder if that might not e one of the reasons you're feeling as if the community is quiet. I'm starting to feel like too many of us have started to become complacent with the idea that tipping a post is a good response... when the more you think about it, the more it's... not neutral .

Then too, I'm just coming out of my lurkers shell after a few years of just standing around in the shadows. I was reading more than responding...

(I dunno, I tried the cowgirl outfit but I still didn't feel very pascal-ish. This is the closest I've got to her hair and it's not satisfactory for me- User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ... And I wish they had an item to match her schoolgirl outfit, because that I could probably pull off lol)

Mwuahahaha..~ I may be a quiet type of havoc, but look at me, living up to my name! Now you're rethinking tipping/posting habits. The ripples in the water have been made!

.. ahem. All dumbness on my part aside, maybe tipping IS a minor hitch in the posting scene. I guess we're all a little coddled by social networking sites and it's kind of bleeding into forum life as well.

Welcoming Gekko

5,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I don't even post anymore I lurk.

But when I do post, you either get ignored, tipped or noticed because you said something insightful, funny, or pissed someone off.

Either way, I'm a lurker now and now become to lazy to post much. sweatdrop

Hot Dog

King of Havoc
I've noticed it's actually a lot easier to quote plain text here in the past couple of minutes. Trying to trim down all of the code to get to a specific part of the quote without murdering the font/style is pretty trying.. sweatdrop

Nice cosplay, by the way! It's pretty spot-on.

It can be trying, especially if it's rainbow text where every letter in the post is colored a different shade. You can't even refer to the original quoted post unless you hit the preview button first, especially if it's a long reply! gonk

Aww shucks, thank you! redface

I don't know if you know this but cosplay gets you quoted plenty as well. If you're going for an achievement, and don't quite want to post too many bumps, that does sort of work.

Or, better yet, post yum_puddi emotes. A plain post is easily brightened up by usage of this handy emoticon. I highly encourage you to try it. People will notice you almost immediately if you do. It's rather like having a Chihuahua in your arm and girls love that sort of thing. yum_puddi

Kawaii Saint

11,800 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Object of Affection 150
King of Havoc

I have had times when my posts get completely over looked by anyone when I post in a thread. I do not think it is because of length, but sometimes people do not feel the need to quote unless they want to talk to you I guess.

I usually quote people if I have something to say about what they are saying, or just to say hi. One other theory is people wait for someone to quote them first lol.

Loyal Gaian

16,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Firestarter 200
It would be quiet if these giant chaotic events didn't happenb every major holiday lol

Invisible Friend

Umm yeah... The forums on this site are kind of awkward... Not like some other sites I can think of.

Tipsy Pyromaniac

Speaking as a lurker, I bet there are a lot of people who just browse through threads reading but not posting.
As others said, there are so many people on Gaia it's really hard to put a finger on how many people are online and active.

You have people in every forum section, posting. You also have people who lurk all over as well, some topics probably have millions of views but fewer replies.

And then you have people off playing zOMG and the other crazy games here.

It is a little weird finding your niche, but regardless not too hard to make friends. smile

Muscular Member

16,150 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
Yerosh
yeah you don't get replied to unless your post is really long
xd My longest posts never get replies!

I think the ones that are quoted are around 4-5 sentences because there's something in there people want to reply to.

=========================
At thread:
Things that tend to quoted more from my observations are:
- Posts by regulars who are well known/popular.
- Replies on the first and last pages of a thread.
- Posts which provoke a response (e.g. very polar argument)
- If your post can be added to, a lot of people might agree with your post, but if there's nothing to add you won't get quoted.
- The time of day (site traffic) does affect the likelihood of a quote but not massively in my experience.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games