Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Poster

For all the activity I see on Gaia, I think it's pretty interesting that most posts seem to go unquoted or generally just glanced over. Perhaps it's just a lot of "post-my-opinion-and-ruuuuuun!" action?

Regardless! It's not a bad thing, I just thought it was kind of surprising. I actually ended up taking a little break from Gaia because I was discouraged at first, but now I realize it's just how the posting environment is here. I think my ratio of posts made to posts of mine replied to is about 6:1. Not awful, not super exciting either. To be fair, I don't have the most eye-catching post style and my actual writing is probably a little dull.. Either way!

Has anyone else noticed this or had similar experiences? Gaia just seemed really large on the outside to me, but isn't quite as chaotic as I thought it'd be once I got in here.

FXMLDR's Wife

Hopeless Sweetheart

yeah you don't get replied to unless your post is really long

Perfect Pumpkin

It just depends on where you are. I'd say 92% or 93% of my posts get at least a single quote.

Friendly Poster

Yerosh
yeah you don't get replied to unless your post is really long

You think? I actually find the more concise my posts are, the more likely I am to get a reply. The more I type, the less replies I get in return!

Friendly Poster

J 4 C K
It just depends on where you are. I'd say 92% or 93% of my posts get at least a single quote.

I think it also depends on who you are as well. From what I can see, you're a pretty busy poster and seem to know a lot of people. The likelihood that you'd be replied to is a lot higher just because of who you are, I think.

But you definitely make a valid point. The slower forums do have a higher chance of people directly talking to each other, while the faster forums seem to be more of a hit-and-run format.

Eloquent Pyromaniac

33,800 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200

I rarely get quoted either c;
It's sort of nice since I don't need to reply 8D...

It makes me wonder if anyone actually reads what I write~

_______

Regarding your first line:

I think since we mostly agree with the opinions of others, it becomes unnecessary to quote.
That is unless we have something new to add/express.

Perfect Pumpkin

King of Havoc
J 4 C K

I think it also depends on who you are as well. From what I can see, you're a pretty busy poster and seem to know a lot of people. The likelihood that you'd be replied to is a lot higher just because of who you are, I think.

But you definitely make a valid point. The slower forums do have a higher chance of people directly talking to each other, while the faster forums seem to be more of a hit-and-run format.
I think people might know me. I don't tend to pay much mind to who I'm talking to.

The attitude of whatever specific forum you're in maters as well.

Friendly Poster

Deletris

That's the part that gnaws on me a little bit on occasion, actually! Why post if no one reads it? Obviously I'm not looking for a pat on the back if I post, but it's nice to talk to people who have opinions on a topic we're both interested in, ya know? I realize now it's not a huge deal, though. It's natural for posts to be looked over.

Queen_Nyssa's Waifu

Biggest Anubutt

19,850 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Survivor 150
King of Havoc
Deletris

That's the part that gnaws on me a little bit on occasion, actually! Why post if no one reads it? Obviously I'm not looking for a pat on the back if I post, but it's nice to talk to people who have opinions on a topic we're both interested in, ya know? I realize now it's not a huge deal, though. It's natural for posts to be looked over.

I usually know people have read my posts because I'm tipped. Lately it's like the "like" button on Facebook, and is kinda voiding the chances for otherwise insightful conversation...

I'm highly guilty of using the tip button when I've run out of things to say, of if I can not think of an adequate reply but want to let the user know that I did indeed read their post.

Magical Cat

12,850 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Brandisher 100
Sometimes it depends on what you post, and where, and the type of topic. If I am on the first or second page of a hot issue or topic, and have a valid point, I get quoted more, but if it is a throw away topic, where you are just asked an opinion on a repeat topic, people are less likely to quote others in general overall.

Also, the more you post in a certain part of the forums, the more familiar those people become with you and are more likely to chat with you rather than just at you. I have made more casual friends from quoting and initiating convos with them, then trying to let them take it upon themselves to talk to me.

Avatar appearance plays a role, depending on the forum, however, your diction in specific areas may be far more important than appearance.

Overall, you'll be more accepted when you start talking, I learned it the hard way after being on here for 5 years and lurking too much.

Friendly Poster

Valkines Cryas

I usually know people have read my posts because I'm tipped. Lately it's like the "like" button on Facebook, and is kinda voiding the chances for otherwise insightful conversation...

I'm highly guilty of using the tip button when I've run out of things to say, of if I can not think of an adequate reply but want to let the user know that I did indeed read their post.

Huh! That's actually a pretty smart way to end a conversation ( maybe not so much keep it alive). It's always a little awkward when you've run out of things to say and don't want to just end it with, "Well, that was fun. Let's stop talking now." or something.

( Nice username, btw. heart I'm a big Tales fan! )

Eloquent Pyromaniac

33,800 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
King of Havoc
Deletris

I tend to read every post, unless of course, there is something terribly wrong with it. (Usually if it's
too long or the grammar is atrocious)

I usually post in hopes someone might read it, as well as to get my post count up 8D..
(//needs 10k posts for the achievement ;A; )

It's quite nice that in GCD we tend to agree with one another. That is until it comes to money.
From there, there tends to be quit a bit of drama.

Magical Cat

12,850 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Brandisher 100
King of Havoc
Deletris

Lurkers are reading more then you think, I have a habit of reading an entire thread before I post, if at all.

Perfect Pumpkin

Deletris
King of Havoc
Deletris

I tend to read every post, unless of course, there is something terribly wrong with it. (Usually if it's
too long or the grammar is atrocious)

I usually post in hopes someone might read it, as well as to get my post count up 8D..
(//needs 10k posts for the achievement ;A; )

It's quite nice that in GCD we tend to agree with one another. That is until it comes to money.
From there, there tends to be quit a bit of drama.
There's this person I know whose every post is a good 5 paragraphs long. A legitimate essay. I can't read any of it.

Queen_Nyssa's Waifu

Biggest Anubutt

19,850 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Survivor 150
King of Havoc
Valkines Cryas

Huh! That's actually a pretty smart way to end a conversation ( maybe not so much keep it alive). It's always a little awkward when you've run out of things to say and don't want to just end it with, "Well, that was fun. Let's stop talking now." or something.

( Nice username, btw. heart I'm a big Tales fan! )

It does work to meet an end, but like I said it feels like it's also canceling a lot of conversation that could be happening *sigh*. I also tip people when they've said exactly what I was thinking, as well. It kinda saves me from repeating the popular opinion, for the most part lol. I only say the same thing again if I feel like I have to (like in petition threads and such).

(I swear I'd have named myself Pascal Lhant, but I couldn't come up with a decent cosplay of Pascal atm xD. I WILL SOMEDAYYYY *shakes fist* )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff