Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Poster

Ninja Katze
Sometimes it depends on what you post, and where, and the type of topic. If I am on the first or second page of a hot issue or topic, and have a valid point, I get quoted more, but if it is a throw away topic, where you are just asked an opinion on a repeat topic, people are less likely to quote others in general overall.

Also, the more you post in a certain part of the forums, the more familiar those people become with you and are more likely to chat with you rather than just at you. I have made more casual friends from quoting and initiating convos with them, then trying to let them take it upon themselves to talk to me.

Avatar appearance plays a role, depending on the forum, however, your diction in specific areas may be far more important than appearance.

Overall, you'll be more accepted when you start talking, I learned it the hard way after being on here for 5 years and lurking too much.

I'm definitely trying to reach out to other people first now! As you mentioned, starting the direct conversation seems to work better than waiting it out, but it's hard staying in just one forum. There's so many places to post, and lots of different things to talk about. Haunting just one forum seems like a dreary thing to do..

As far as appearance goes.. Ergh. I'm a little overwhelmed. There's a lot to choose from and starting from an empty wardrobe is like a coloring book with no lines to color in! Hopefully no one judges posts based on avatars too much because I might be like this for a while!

Eloquent Pyromaniac

33,800 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
J 4 C K
Deletris
King of Havoc
Deletris

It makes me wonder if anyone actually reads what I write~

That's the part that gnaws on me a little bit on occasion, actually! Why post if no one reads it? Obviously I'm not looking for a pat on the back if I post, but it's nice to talk to people who have opinions on a topic we're both interested in, ya know? I realize now it's not a huge deal, though. It's natural for posts to be looked over.

I tend to read every post, unless of course, there is something terribly wrong with it. (Usually if it's
too long or the grammar is atrocious)

I usually post in hopes someone might read it, as well as to get my post count up 8D..
(//needs 10k posts for the achievement ;A; )

It's quite nice that in GCD we tend to agree with one another. That is until it comes to money.
From there, there tends to be quit a bit of drama.
There's this person I know whose every post is a good 5 paragraphs long. A legitimate essay. I can't read any of it.

I used to write a lot. On another site I became known as the "essay" lady.

These days, I tend to save that for my friends through pms. It takes too much energy to write something that long. (That will most likely not get read.) It's also a pain to go back and re-read it for grammatical errors.

I'm just lazy these days I guess 8D..

Questionable Mage

Valkines Cryas
King of Havoc
Deletris

That's the part that gnaws on me a little bit on occasion, actually! Why post if no one reads it? Obviously I'm not looking for a pat on the back if I post, but it's nice to talk to people who have opinions on a topic we're both interested in, ya know? I realize now it's not a huge deal, though. It's natural for posts to be looked over.

I usually know people have read my posts because I'm tipped. Lately it's like the "like" button on Facebook, and is kinda voiding the chances for otherwise insightful conversation...

I'm highly guilty of using the tip button when I've run out of things to say, of if I can not think of an adequate reply but want to let the user know that I did indeed read their post.

Personally, I likely wouldn't say anything at all if it was simple agreement with a post. At least with the tips there's a non-spammy way to show appreciation...

Friendly Poster

Deletris

I tend to read every post, unless of course, there is something terribly wrong with it. (Usually if it's

I usually post in hopes someone might read it, as well as to get my post count up 8D..

It's quite nice that in GCD we tend to agree with one another. That is until it comes to money.

Wordiness is a bad feature of mine.. sweatdrop

And if you get to 10k, I will be pretty darn impressed. That's a ton - A TON - of posts. Heck, 10k of anything is a lot. Do you go to any specific forums to work on getting your post count up?

Perfect Pumpkin

Erinnerung
Valkines Cryas
King of Havoc
Deletris

I usually know people have read my posts because I'm tipped. Lately it's like the "like" button on Facebook, and is kinda voiding the chances for otherwise insightful conversation...

I'm highly guilty of using the tip button when I've run out of things to say, of if I can not think of an adequate reply but want to let the user know that I did indeed read their post.

Personally, I likely wouldn't say anything at all if it was simple agreement with a post. At least with the tips there's a non-spammy way to show appreciation...
Tipping. Bluh..

Friendly Poster

Valkines Cryas

It does work to meet an end, but like I said it feels like it's also canceling a lot of conversation that could be happening *sigh*. I also tip people when they've said exactly what I was thinking, as well. It kinda saves me from repeating the popular opinion, for the most part lol. I only say the same thing again if I feel like I have to (like in petition threads and such).

(I swear I'd have named myself Pascal Lhant, but I couldn't come up with a decent cosplay of Pascal atm xD. I WILL SOMEDAYYYY *shakes fist* )

Someone else mentioned not repeating the same thing/being spammy. Is it really being spammy if it's a relevant opinion? Or is that just kind of a community sentiment thing that's popped up? I think repeating a popular opinion in your own words can open up some interesting conversations if there's a facet of an opinion that's slightly different than the rest.

( If you'd been able to cosplay as Pascal, I would have been REALLY impressed. She's got such a unique design that it'd be hard to find items that suited her unless they were made as tribute items! Maybe you could make her cowgirl outfit or something though? )

Magical Cat

12,850 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Brandisher 100
King of Havoc
Ninja Katze
Sometimes it depends on what you post, and where, and the type of topic. If I am on the first or second page of a hot issue or topic, and have a valid point, I get quoted more, but if it is a throw away topic, where you are just asked an opinion on a repeat topic, people are less likely to quote others in general overall.

Also, the more you post in a certain part of the forums, the more familiar those people become with you and are more likely to chat with you rather than just at you. I have made more casual friends from quoting and initiating convos with them, then trying to let them take it upon themselves to talk to me.

Avatar appearance plays a role, depending on the forum, however, your diction in specific areas may be far more important than appearance.

Overall, you'll be more accepted when you start talking, I learned it the hard way after being on here for 5 years and lurking too much.

I'm definitely trying to reach out to other people first now! As you mentioned, starting the direct conversation seems to work better than waiting it out, but it's hard staying in just one forum. There's so many places to post, and lots of different things to talk about. Haunting just one forum seems like a dreary thing to do..

As far as appearance goes.. Ergh. I'm a little overwhelmed. There's a lot to choose from and starting from an empty wardrobe is like a coloring book with no lines to color in! Hopefully no one judges posts based on avatars too much because I might be like this for a while!

I go all over the place, but I come here a lot because it is directly involved with the site. I am well known in the Crosstitch forum, used for the item contests, and used to be better known in the Art crit forum, but I don't post in there a lot now. I doubt people remember me anywhere else, since I don't post a lot elsewhere.

Are you completely new? Seems like you have no gold. There are many ways to improve your appearance without spending a lot. You can look in this forum for the "that item can't be that inexpensive" thread for good deals. Gold shops have a lot of nice items for cheap, and unchanging prices, and Booty Grabbing is a good way to earn easy gold, along with Zomg, or just using RL money to sell an item from the cash shop.

Eloquent Pyromaniac

33,800 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
King of Havoc
Deletris

And if you get to 10k, I will be pretty darn impressed. That's a ton - A TON - of posts. Heck, 10k of anything is a lot. Do you go to any specific forums to work on getting your post count up?

The achievement thread is a nice place to start. When I was working on threadmaster I get a considerable amount of bumps in before I got the achievement. I'm working on firestarter right now, and I'm hoping I'll get more posts for that c;

You can always make a thread/topic there for the purpose of spamming to 10k posts. A lot of people do that so it's fine.

Other places I found useful was when I had my quest thread up c;
I even got a few donations redface

Perfect Pumpkin

Deletris
King of Havoc
Deletris

The achievement thread is a nice place to start. When I was working on threadmaster I get a considerable amount of bumps in before I got the achievement. I'm working on firestarter right now, and I'm hoping I'll get more posts for that c;

You can always make a thread/topic there for the purpose of spamming to 10k posts. A lot of people do that so it's fine.

Nooo. Don't suggest bumping or spamming to anyone.

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

King of Havoc
I realize it's just how the posting environment is here.

Has anyone else noticed this or had similar experiences? Gaia just seemed really large on the outside to me, but isn't quite as chaotic as I thought it'd be once I got in here.

Yup, happens all the time in quick, rather large forums such as the Chatterbox. yum_puddi We often make rapid-fire posts and rarely get quoted or have it read. Still, we post for a chance of it happening! We have a custom of sometimes tipping posts we've read if we're not replying, though. Not sure if this is done in other forums.

Personally I don't prefer fancy post styles, especially those with small text, which I don't make a habit to read at all, even when quoted. I rarely quote those, so personally... I don't think people are really quoted over post styles or a way of writing. In random I seem to have quoted more people with very minimally modified styles, or just plain text.

Eloquent Pyromaniac

33,800 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
J 4 C K
Deletris
King of Havoc
Deletris

Nooo. Don't suggest bumping or spamming to anyone.

wink

(Is all I wanted to reply with //bricked)
______

Well it's a necessity in some places 8D..
It's not like I'm recommending it. It just so happens that I'm great at it c;

Magical Cat

12,850 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Brandisher 100
J 4 C K
Erinnerung
Valkines Cryas
King of Havoc
Deletris

Tipping. Bluh..

You know, I didn't understand why you hated tips at first, but over time, people tipping me and me thinking it's a reply, well, it gets on my nerves more and more. Well unless people are tipping a post that's more of a statement with no discussion purposes. Even then though.

Queen_Nyssa's Waifu

Biggest Anubutt

19,850 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Survivor 150
King of Havoc
Valkines Cryas

It does work to meet an end, but like I said it feels like it's also canceling a lot of conversation that could be happening *sigh*. I also tip people when they've said exactly what I was thinking, as well. It kinda saves me from repeating the popular opinion, for the most part lol. I only say the same thing again if I feel like I have to (like in petition threads and such).

(I swear I'd have named myself Pascal Lhant, but I couldn't come up with a decent cosplay of Pascal atm xD. I WILL SOMEDAYYYY *shakes fist* )

Someone else mentioned not repeating the same thing/being spammy. Is it really being spammy if it's a relevant opinion? Or is that just kind of a community sentiment thing that's popped up? I think repeating a popular opinion in your own words can open up some interesting conversations if there's a facet of an opinion that's slightly different than the rest.

( If you'd been able to cosplay as Pascal, I would have been REALLY impressed. She's got such a unique design that it'd be hard to find items that suited her unless they were made as tribute items! Maybe you could make her cowgirl outfit or something though? )

I'm actually starting to wonder if that might not e one of the reasons you're feeling as if the community is quiet. I'm starting to feel like too many of us have started to become complacent with the idea that tipping a post is a good response... when the more you think about it, the more it's... not neutral .

Then too, I'm just coming out of my lurkers shell after a few years of just standing around in the shadows. I was reading more than responding...

(I dunno, I tried the cowgirl outfit but I still didn't feel very pascal-ish. This is the closest I've got to her hair and it's not satisfactory for me- User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ... And I wish they had an item to match her schoolgirl outfit, because that I could probably pull off lol)

Perfect Pumpkin

Ninja Katze
J 4 C K
Erinnerung
Valkines Cryas
King of Havoc
Deletris

Tipping. Bluh..

You know, I didn't understand why you hated tips at first, but over time, people tipping me and me thinking it's a reply, well, it gets on my nerves more and more. Well unless people are tipping a post that's more of a statement with no discussion purposes. Even then though.
That's not my reason.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces