Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sacher Torte's Husband

Diamond Darling

14,725 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Ironic though-- artists go into a freebie forum with threads advertising with a tip over ones that don't say it. Then get disgruntled when they get something for the art sweatdrop conversely if artists had just gone for the threads that don't say tip they'd have probably gotten more out of it in any case.

Those who tip everyone have to tip low in order to be able to "pay" everyone. Whereas those who tip more selectively have more funds to tip a higher value.

Sounds like everyone trying to get more for less on both sides to me.

Goth Fairy

22,600 Points
  • 90's Movie Token Quirky Goth Girl 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Magical Girl 50
For freebs, I don't care. It was free. What really pisses me off is when people offer on a commission and say they will tip and then don't. A lot of the time the person wants you to draw something really hard for a kind of low offer, so they say "kinda shitty offer + tip" to make it more enticing. Then they just don't tip.

Bottom line: You're not entitled to a tip, but at the same time don't tell someone you'll tip if you really have no intention to.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
guns and wings
A Wandering Houngan
When I say I'm going to tip for Art I mean actual gold in the form of trades. The tip function on posts is to show agreement. I don't normally draw for people, but if I did and someone tipped my post if be pretty mad. I mean I suppose 25g is better than nothing considering it's technically free art but I prefer to know my work is appreciated so 25g is a bit insulting. Like tipping a waitress 2 cents in a restaurant.

That's not the same? You're expecting to pay at a restaurant, they aren't advertising free food/service. When you're going into the Art Freebie forum, it's expecting to be free. Tips shouldn't even be required nor should it be expected. If you want gold, open a shop, pay whatever you want type of shop if you don't know what to charge, that simple.

I literally never expect people to give me tips for art or any free service, though a thank you is nice since it shows appreciation and is free to give.

I'm paying for my food, tips to the waitress or waiter are optional. None the less, a waiter or waitress would prefer not to be tipped at all if you're only going to tip less than a dollar. The same applies to art. If you're promising a tip for services, even if the art itself is initially free, the artist is mislead into believing they're going to get something worthwhile and may put more effort into the piece, only to find out that they put effort into their work for nothing. And word may spread to other artists, lowering the user's chances of getting free art again from anyone. Just like how a badly tipped waiter or waitress will warn the others about a certain customer, and that customer will be treated less pleasantly.

It's not THAT different.

Angelic Champion

Just as an aside, it actually really irks me when people advertise "TIPING" or what have you in their titles/threads. Art Freebies are supposed to be just that: FREE.
If someone is advertising that they're tipping, that means they're exchanging gold/items for the art received and therefore should go to the Art Requests. My sister used to FA that forum and I did the Art Shops and it drove us crazy when people got those mixed up.

That being said, if you're specifically going to the art freebies forum, you shouldn't be expecting to gain anything in return. If someone wants to tip, the amount shouldn't matter. The sentiment stays the same. A tip is something you give to show your appreciation or offer a compliment for someone. If you're doing freebies specifically for tips, you're in the wrong business.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Murder Is Kawaii

Bottom line: You're not entitled to a tip, but at the same time don't tell someone you'll tip if you really have no intention to.
Thisssssssss

I usually don't say I'm gonna tip and then tip if I really like the artwork/appreciate the effort/ect

Inquisitive Shapeshifter

I'm afraid to tip. Like, what if what I think is a nice little thank you is seen by the artist as an insult? like "Ugh! You think my art is only worth THAT!?" I've seen at least one person in GCD that mentioned that 1-2 bil was an insult to them a couple months ago.That's a pretty significant bite of my gold on hand and far more than many people dream of having when they are not cash users.

I do, however always try to make sure to voice my appreciation. If fact, if I fail to say anything, it more than likely means I didn't see you post. I also gravitate more to stream threads since I have better luck there and watching others draw is fun to me.

larrystew's Partner In Crime

Comrade

LOL I kinda expect people to do that. add "+tips" to their threads and then "lol it's just the tip button." hm maybe you should try doing a very casual casual art shop instead, or join an art shop? that way you don't need to be responsible for taking care of the thread. I dunno how to help you with not feeling like commissions not turning out as good, I feel the same way hahahah. but your art looks great regardless :p

Wintry Dragon

This always confused me. It's free but there is gratuity? I would never know how much to give. 15% of nothing is..? ninja

Lover

My opinion comes from personal experience as an artist who has given countless freebie artwork over the years, to both friends and strangers, varying from shitty doodles to high quality artwork.

I understand the OP, but artists should NOT expect ANY tips in the Art Freebie forum. Period. This is plainly expressed in a STICKY posted in 2009.

Clarification - Freebies should be FREE! Please Read!
This forum is only for threads asking for or offering free art.

This means that users are allowed to offer tips if they receive free art but you cannot require tips in return for making someone art. If you are requiring tips, you are selling art, not giving it away for free.

Similarly, an artist may offer to tip if they particularly like a free piece of art that they receive, but they are not required to do so.

Therefore, you cannot make threads here offering items or gold for art, including threads that require tips of any kind (gold or item). Threads such as these should be made in the Art Shops & Requests Forum.

If the user who received artwork does decide to tip, the amount tipped should have nothing to do with the amount of appreciation they feel. The artist chose to draw artwork for a user in the FREEBIE ART forum. If an artist expects any sort of payment, he/she should draw for users in the ART REQUEST forum or create an ART SHOP with a specified minimum payment ( or a shop that "draws for tips" ).

Personally, I disagree with all threads that state "I tip!" in the Freebie Art forum, because this may pressure other users to offer the same (in fear of being completely ignored), when the artwork is meant to be free. Tipping after artwork is given is totally fine, but advertising that you guarantee a tip (prior to receiving artwork) is technically the same as "offering payment" for the artwork. Years ago, I PMed a Moderator about this and she agreed.

When I draw freebie artwork, I decline tips unless the user is insistent that I accept. And I am absolutely grateful for whatever amount they decide to give me. If they tip my post, I quote them with a "thank you for the tip!" Even a simple "I love it! Thank you!!" is enough for me.

Bottom line: It upsets me to see artists who expect tips for artwork that is supposed to be free. Artists have no right to expect a gratuitous tip from the Art Freebie forum. And if a user states that they will tip, the amount is up to that user, not the artist. Artists should not be "living off tips" as a main source of income in the FREEBIE ART FORUM. If you really need the gold via artwork, open an Art Shop with 1 or 2 slots and a minimum price.

Monster Bit

26,640 Points
  • Poltergeist Pulverizer 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
I've done a few freebies here and there. I think its nice to leave a tip.
Of course it isnt needed, but its nice to be appreciated.

Eternal Hellraiser

A Wandering Houngan
guns and wings
A Wandering Houngan
When I say I'm going to tip for Art I mean actual gold in the form of trades. The tip function on posts is to show agreement. I don't normally draw for people, but if I did and someone tipped my post if be pretty mad. I mean I suppose 25g is better than nothing considering it's technically free art but I prefer to know my work is appreciated so 25g is a bit insulting. Like tipping a waitress 2 cents in a restaurant.

That's not the same? You're expecting to pay at a restaurant, they aren't advertising free food/service. When you're going into the Art Freebie forum, it's expecting to be free. Tips shouldn't even be required nor should it be expected. If you want gold, open a shop, pay whatever you want type of shop if you don't know what to charge, that simple.

I literally never expect people to give me tips for art or any free service, though a thank you is nice since it shows appreciation and is free to give.

I'm paying for my food, tips to the waitress or waiter are optional. None the less, a waiter or waitress would prefer not to be tipped at all if you're only going to tip less than a dollar. The same applies to art. If you're promising a tip for services, even if the art itself is initially free, the artist is mislead into believing they're going to get something worthwhile and may put more effort into the piece, only to find out that they put effort into their work for nothing. And word may spread to other artists, lowering the user's chances of getting free art again from anyone. Just like how a badly tipped waiter or waitress will warn the others about a certain customer, and that customer will be treated less pleasantly.

It's not THAT different.

I'd like to point out that its called the art freebies not art tip-mes.

Yes, its nice to get a tip. But- unlike a waitress who is getting paid to do what they are doing- although usually minimally because its so common to get tips in that line of work.. The artist is choosing to draw the person.. in a forum in which there is no expected payment. There is a bloody sticky reminding people that tips shouldn't and can not be required.

If the artist wants to be tipped well so baddly they should set up a casual art shop, or look for interesting subjects in the art request forum to set up a commission.

The whole thing about artists talking to each other about who tips more or whatever is ridiculous, although I'm sure it happens.

Sparkly Star

30,425 Points
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
  • Lapin Patrol Mimosa: Victory! 50
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
Glad this is garnering so many replies...didn't expect that.

Murder Is Kawaii
For freebs, I don't care. It was free. What really pisses me off is when people offer on a commission and say they will tip and then don't. A lot of the time the person wants you to draw something really hard for a kind of low offer, so they say "kinda shitty offer + tip" to make it more enticing. Then they just don't tip.

I agree. But what I am doing is extending the offer of + tip to freebies. No one feels they have to give tips for regular commissions. Why would they offer that + tip. Just give it all at once in one big offer. = 0 =;;;;

Cheapskate Bruce

So 25 g is good enough to cover everyone w/o depleting your gold? So let's say you average 20,000 g a day from just clicking one daily chance. To get rid of that 20,000, you can tip 800 people. It seems a little farfetched in my opinion.

Kerry Archer

Ah your avatar is freaking cuteeeeee. I guess it does sort of bother me on how much is tipped. I appreciate tips, especially since I know the reason why people are on the freebie forum is because they can't afford art. So any amount of tip I feel is nice especially when I know it is a pain to give, to them, the amount they give can be a lot. But I don't feel like in any case 25g is a lot for anyone nowadays. Might as well have not advertise it and just let the OCs/avatars speak for themselves (the design was really awesome so I did enjoy drawing it).

Little Lilo

I guess that's what bothers me...the "I tip" part and then barely not? It raises...false expectations....might as well not include it because it does feel like a slap in the face. It seems that what more people seem to be bothered by is the "living off tips" part.

pinky pomp

GREASYYY hi. bahaha I'm so embarassed I'm showing such a petty side of me *sweats* I guess it's hard to get the best of both worlds. I feel bad for joint art shops bc I'll probably disappear for months at a time.

and whatever you draw is great too i love your style so muchhhchchhhh.

Lover

RoyalSquishy
I guess that's what bothers me...the "I tip" part and then barely not? It raises...false expectations....might as well not include it because it does feel like a slap in the face. I It seems that what more people seem to be bothered by is the "living off tips" part.

I understand your frustration, but the problem arises with having any expectation to begin with. You are drawing for users in the Art Freebies Forum with the expectation of a "worth while" tip, just because they advertise that they tip? It sounds like you're drawing in that forum for the wrong reason.

The AF Forum mainly exists for:

1. Artists who want to practice
2. Artists who genuinely love giving free art
3. Artists who are bored and just want to draw
4. Users who want artwork free of charge

Like I said, in regard to your specific issue, I don't agree with any form of "I tip" in the AF Forum, because that is technically advertising guaranteed payment (which is not allowed). But the fact remains that artists shouldn't expect anything, especially generous tips, when drawing for users there.

A little off-topic, but I personally hate it when I draw something detailed for a user only to get a "oh, thanks" sort of response or none at all. That's very rude, because it's common courtesy to show at least a little appreciation for something free. But that's my own peeve.

Inquisitive Shapeshifter

RoyalSquishy

Ah your avatar is freaking cuteeeeee. I guess it does sort of bother me on how much is tipped. I appreciate tips, especially since I know the reason why people are on the freebie forum is because they can't afford art. So any amount of tip I feel is nice especially when I know it is a pain to give, to them, the amount they give can be a lot. But I don't feel like in any case 25g is a lot for anyone nowadays. Might as well have not advertise it and just let the OCs/avatars speak for themselves (the design was really awesome so I did enjoy drawing it).

Lol, and here I was going for unsettling. But thanks very much for the compliment either way.
I do agree with you that advertising tips like it's a big thing then just using the tip button would feel very schemy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff