Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you think about the quiz?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on May 3, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

kougramaster666
Personally, I class people with less than 100 posts, and who've been on gaia for less than a week as a newbie.

That's a pretty technical description.

Personally, I see "newbieness" more as a state of mind. You're a "newbie" if you know very little about Gaia and if you're not familiar with the different aspects of the forum and storyline. When you've grasped the basics of Gaia and know your way around, you're not a newbie anymore.

The post count doesn't mean much, because you can spend the entire day spamming in the Chatterbox or you can actually spend your time reading the stickies and making only few well thought-out posts.
12/14

And I've only been here for a month lol.
kougramaster666
TOS definition of 'trolling'

# Intentially posting inflamatory statements to get responses - otherwise known as "Trolling".

3nodding
ruva_thakaru
12/14

That is very good!
biggrin

edit: And what your signature says it's true 3nodding

Dangerous Genius

8,250 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Heckler 50
Another.Little.Helper
shyembrace
Ah thank you for the definition I've been on gaia for over a year but i still spend way to much time in chat rooms xp

Your welcome.

I just dislike trolls in general and report them in my free time, that's how I know gonk heart
ah ok.
Another.Little.Helper
The style section was included for two reasons, one is to discuss up front that avatar appearance is very important for most people, in order to take you seriously. Not that I think that is right... actually it's rather sad, but we need to be aware of it and try not to fall into that pattern.

Yeah, I realized that, and it's probably helpful for some newbies, especially for those ones who want the flame, fox, or goth set. However, the same advice may just further encourage people to pay too much attention to the avvies.

Quote:
The second reason is to let enw users know, they do not need to save a huge amount of gold to get a full set to look good, and that not everyone with uber expensive items has stylish avas.

The fact, that your avvi doesn't have to be expensive to be stylish, should be stressed more! It's sad to see the dream avas of many newbies (and, even more sadly, some oldbies as well). They think your avvi is "stylish" if you manage to cram as many expensive items on it as possible.
stressed This is.. interesting.

I'm a newbie to Gaia and I just aced your quiz. It doesn't take knowledge of Gaia, it takes bloody common sense.

I'd also like to point out that since a newbie is someone new to the site, saying "take this quiz to find out if you're a newbie!" is, uh, lame. Generally, you know if you just signed up somewhere in the last couple weeks or not.
ruva_thakaru
12/14

Love your siggy. xd

Shameless Bibliophile

DesJaunty

I'm a newbie to Gaia and I just aced your quiz. It doesn't take knowledge of Gaia, it takes bloody common sense.

I'd also like to point out that since a newbie is someone new to the site, saying "take this quiz to find out if you're a newbie!" is, uh, lame. Generally, you know if you just signed up somewhere in the last couple weeks or not.
I am sure there are several older members who could be considered newbies....right?

12/14 I missed the one about trolling, I try to stay away from threads like that most of the time xd
Wildflower XTC

Yeah, I realized that, and it's probably helpful for some newbies, especially for those ones who want the flame, fox, or goth set. However, the same advice may just further encourage people to pay too much attention to the avvies.

Oh, perhaps that is what teh lulu meant when she said I was perpetuating stereotypes. I will check my phrasing to see if I can attend to that. Any suggestions?

The fact, that your avvi doesn't have to be expensive to be stylish, should be stressed more! It's sad to see the dream avas of many newbies (and, even more sadly, some oldbies as well). They think your avvi is "stylish" if you manage to cram as many expensive items on it as possible.

I fully agree. It is very sad that a forum like AT is so isolated, because it would do much good to discover just how much potential store items have.
DesJaunty

I am glad you have common sense... Gaia would be in much better shape if we had more of it sweatdrop
Well basically it's a statement. You should know if you are a new user, that, as you say, it's pretty obvious.

But in Gaia, a newbie is a very semantically charged word. It is a label and it means a variety of negative things, so people are constantly trying to set themselves appart from newbies, and new users are very careful not to be called newbies.

It's an ideology biggrin
Kaleigh_Lynne
DesJaunty

I am sure there are several older members who could be considered newbies....right?

12/14 I missed the one about trolling, I try to stay away from threads like that most of the time xd

Yes, newbie is a word that people use to refer to new and old users, with a variety of negative meanings. 3nodding
Another.Little.Helper
Kaleigh_Lynne
DesJaunty

Yes, newbie is a word that people use to refer to new and old users, with a variety of negative meanings. 3nodding
Ummm.no.

Newbie = New person, who doesn't know much about gaia.
N00b = Idiot, spammer, annoying person, etc.
Number 10 is more an opinion. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces