Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shady Tradesman
Captain Drunken
Shady Tradesman
Well.... I have sectretively forgetten my skin color. xp
I thought it was brown... Oh, that's the bag. Crap! That's gonna drive me nuts now.

*checks in profile*

hehehe.... I know and you don't! whee
Aren't You a Girl?...I Saw This Glitch on you...You Had Girls hair But i Haven't Seen you Face!

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Shady Tradesman
Bolweevil
Captain Drunken
Bolweevil
Captain Drunken
Shady had a Fly Body once...So, hah! He hasn't always been the same!
Shady has a body? I'm just so used to seeing him as he is now i forget theres an avatar like ours under all that..
Like ours? Excuse me, my body is much better than yours. talk2hand

Hehe. xp
You're just jealous... But all that aside, what could shady be hiding?? I mean not even a speck of the underlying avatar is showing.. What could be underneath? Were you scarred horribly in the Gambino mansion explosion? or are you in fact grunny? WE WANT THE TRUTH!

ONE PIXEL SHOWS!

its some sort of brown, I'm sure *itching to take avatar and put it in paint to see*
Dark_Nova666
Shady Tradesman
Captain Drunken
Shady Tradesman
I thought it was brown... Oh, that's the bag. Crap! That's gonna drive me nuts now.

*checks in profile*

Aren't You a Girl?...I Saw This Glitch on you...You Had Girls hair But i Haven't Seen you Face!
Or maybe that Was Someone else eek
Dark_Nova666
Dark_Nova666
Shady Tradesman
Captain Drunken
Shady Tradesman

*checks in profile*

Shady's avi is indeed a girl. She has brown hair. Before he was a guy with blue/black hair. Shady's skintone is green that's why mrgreen is his favorite smiley.
New Tuesday

I've never gotten complaints in the AT about my color combination.

I have...
I'm always told I am "Too Grey xp "

Anyway, I think realistic avatars CAN be boring, but it depends on your definition of realistic. xd That's really the best way I can explain what I mean.
I mean, I dress basically like my avatar, but there are some alterations to the design because clothes like that just don't exist in real life (unless you get a hat off of genkihats.com) Like the catscratch pants...I don't have pants with a tail on them, but i do have soft pants that look sort of similar. I don't have a white shirt that says AFK on it backwards, but I do have shirts in a similar style. Same goes for the arm things. I don't own an OMFG. I have almost identical shoes though.

Some people opt for off the wall "ridiculous" avatars because there's no way you could dress like that in real life and get away with it. It could be their inner...avatar...I guess...
Others like to dress simply and "realistically" because they want their avatar to match their real life outside appearance as closely as possible. (maybe some feel like they're lying to everyone else if they don't, I dunno.)

Man, I've been typing a lot today... xp
First of all... I just love your avatar. I really do. *huggles maniacally and offers sugar while eating some too*

When you see an avatar that looks dressed relatively as a person would be seen on the street, do you think its boring?

I think so... I mean, in Gaia you can the pixelated layering's the limit!

Do you think the person is probably just too poor to come up with something better?

Not necessarily. Sometimes... Bt hey, you do what you please with your own avatar and I'm not the one to start bitching on how it's ugly or boring... Although ATers have a tendencie to trash me. They're just picky people.

I think anyone who has been to the AT subforum will find that only certain types of avatars get good rates. Matching avatars, "unique" avatars, no sets, no red and black, or black/white avatars. I think that it carries thought out Gaia, though.

I've been to the AT... But I never recovered integrally. Bitches. I may have a strange style but everyone seems to like it here at the GCD, Kougra usually says something like "cluttered yet beautiful", I got mahvelous from someone, Morph is my twin so she likes it (...) but the Gods of all matching stuff trash me like if I was in a skeleton set. stare

Are we expected to look larger than life here? I think maybe a lot of people let their alter ego run wild on Gaia. Its the internet, and we represent ourselves with crazy little bobble head looking chibi characters. Its obviously a great place to say things, and repesent yourself in a way that you never would in real life.

3nodding We are, hun, we are... Why of course they do! The internet does that to people indeed... And it's good in a lot of ways. Unless you come to Gaia to pour down your RL frustration by flaming/etc.

Still, though, does that leave people who would rather stay on the mundane side left for boring?

Not all... Like you: you look quite normal and simple yet I just want to poke you to see if you're real! I just can't call a good avatar someone with Bao hair in blonde, sandals, castaway shorts and t-shirt... But as I said, who am I to criticise?
I think it's because, at least for some people, 'unique' avatars are more memorable. Others because they have an excuse to wear really outrageous items and look perfectly normal, and so do it. Others because everyone else is doing it n_n

As for me, My outfits always changing. Sometimes it's really over-the-top, but it never gets much simpler than what I'm wearing now O: Generally I'll put together a pretty normal outfit, but add something out of the ordinary like winged anklets, Bani clips, staff, Paper bag. Just something to make it prettyfull n_n

Whateffer, what really matters is that you like your avatar right?
Lucrecia Sapphire
Dark_Nova666
Dark_Nova666
Shady Tradesman
Captain Drunken
Shady Tradesman

*checks in profile*

Shady's avi is indeed a girl. She has brown hair. Before he was a guy with blue/black hair. Shady's skintone is green that's why mrgreen is his favorite smiley.

Very clevah... Hey, you know what? I've got a BIG secret... I was thinking of Shady's skin colour and I remembered I know Marveh's real identity... *pokes herself* No telling that to no one you ... you! sweatdrop ninja

7,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
Well, all in all my avi looks "normal" aside from the elf ears, but this IS my RP character. I wish i had this outfit to be honest! I think its cute ^_^

6,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
I think that there has to be some "normal" in order to have "unique".

Eloquent Lunatic

Angel_Suicide
When you see an avatar that looks dressed relatively as a person would be seen on the street, do you think its boring? Do you think the person is probably just too poor to come up with something better?

I think anyone who has been to the AT subforum will find that only certain types of avatars get good rates. Matching avatars, "unique" avatars, no sets, no red and black, or black/white avatars. I think that it carries thought out Gaia, though.

Are we expected to look larger than life here? I think maybe a lot of people let their alter ego run wild on Gaia. Its the internet, and we represent ourselves with crazy little bobble head looking chibi characters. Its obviously a great place to say things, and repesent yourself in a way that you never would in real life.

Still, though, does that leave people who would rather stay on the mundane side left for boring?

I still dont get why people are whining about the black and red thing, its not as common as it was (mainly because of people giving in to pressure)

Im cool with ones dressed in real clothes, I would do it if I found anything that looked good. Well, Im cool with people in realistic clothes when they do it on purpose.
I think the problem with realistic avatars is that there is not much to them. It doesn't even really take long to make an avatar like that. All that you need is a t-shirt with pants and shoes and your done. I tried making a realistic avatar of myself and it got really boring really quick. I think it's just the way people like anime. In my opinion I would say generally when people like anime it's more on the fantasy side of things. Hardly ever hear someone talk about a anime that is realistic.
A. White Oleander
I think the problem with realistic avatars is that there is not much to them. It doesn't even really take long to make an avatar like that. All that you need is a t-shirt with pants and shoes and your done. I tried making a realistic avatar of myself and it got really boring really quick. I think it's just the way people like anime. In my opinion I would say generally when people like anime it's more on the fantasy side of things. Hardly ever hear someone talk about a anime that is realistic.

You still look kinda realistic... Awh I love that dress! But I'm questing right now so I still haven't bough it. sweatdrop stressed
There's nothing wrong with a realistic avatars! A persons avatar is meant to be personal, something you can look at and say 'That's me!' My avatar is for my entertainment, not anyone else's...then again, I'm still trying to get a tail and ears

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff