Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Werewolf

Here's the trick:

I say thank you or something apprecative relating to their message (if there is one) before I open it. That way if it's garbage, I don't look like a d**k for complaining, and I can just hide my disappointment.

A lot of times people "gift" things they do not want to unclutter their inventory, and it's very obvious when they do that. Yes, they gave it you you, but that really doesn't mean anything. You were active in the forums and they found your name, the end.

I mean, if you want to gift cheap, there are still cute items in the shops that aren't worth very much.

Fluffy Trash

- Do you get mad over people complaining for getting 'junk'?
Depends of what they think is "junk". If the user thinks an item that's worth 5k+ is junk then I would get a tiny bit mad at the user. If the item is 1g worth then I wouldn't get mad. Anyways, the person can just sell the item in the MP if he/she doesn't like it.

For example, this last event ( Apocalypsmas ) I got gifted so much 1g items because I did an item event thread and it got to the point of 500+ pages. In the thread I posted all the ways of how to get energy. One of those ways was gifting once to a random user. I guess that's why I got so many anons worth 1g. I kept some and I didn't complain. It was fun to see so many gifts, even if it was worth 1g each.

- Do you say always thanks for a gift, regardless of it's content?
Yes I do. If I find the person, I'll send a personal Thank You PM. If I don't find the person, but I have an idea of where it may have come from, I post in the thread saying Thank You.

- Do you anon only during events?
Sometimes, yes. It's fun to see reactions of people.

- Do you post in anon threads?
Nope. I never do, yes I get gifted by anons sometimes.

- Do you like Anons?
What's there not to like? Yes.

- Did you ever gift something without giving it much of a thought?
I gift once a month now in the charity thread I hang in and I gift sometimes without thinking about it too much because I usually get some items they would probably like.

Fashionable Heckler

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Yes, I always say thank you for gifts, because I'm not an a**. Unless, say, they said they'd give me an expensive item and gave me something junky to be a d**k.

For example, I have a message in my sig thanking all the anons that gave me stuff for Christmas.

Evolved Hunter

dakki-dono
If you give a s**t gift, it's still a s**t gift.

Gifting me your trash is wasting my time by making me open it and dispose of it.

It's like dumping all your donation clothes and recycling on your neighbor's lawn and putting a bow on it.

If you give people trash/s**t items and call them "gifts" then ******** you.

I expect no gifts and I'm not sticking my face up anyone's a** for what I do get. "Anon" gifting has dropped a steamer in the heart of every true act of generosity.
Just don't get me started on the "faries" and "elves".

Attention-seeking fakeass ********]

While I don't feel _that_ strongly about it, I understand where you're coming from. If it's not something from a person's wishlist, I at least try to give them stuff that has a sellback value.

Evolved Hunter

Susue
I've never seen someone complain about a gift before. gonk
It's only happened a few times, but items make me flip s**t so...yeah, I'm going to go with gifts make me happy.
I do like to anon gift myself though. I've done it before to friends anonymously--giving them like 200k items off their wishlist. It's fun to see them freak out and remain a mystery.

Stay in the anon forums long enough and you'll find someone complaining about something they got.

Teeyanuh
I don't really mind getting junk. I can either trash them or sell them back depending on the item.

What I don't like is when people are like, "I SAW THIS ON YOUR WISHLIST, SO I'M GIVING THIS TO YOU," and when you open the gift...it's trash. Sill side-eyeing the person who did that to me recently. stare

I wonder if that's reportable. confused It's certainly obnoxious.

Pure-hearted Snowflake

25,690 Points
  • Team Devin 200
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
A trend started a few years ago on Gaia. Anoning use to be something people did to be nice. You had Gcd elves who gifted and the Gcd fairies then a billion other different anons started appearing sending housing items and junk to people with crazy messages and it brought about a lot of anger from people who only wanted gifts if they were big and shiny. People should be grateful someone thought to gift them but its also understandable that people got upset over the anons. Especially when someone will create an alter ego gift 50 people junk then post a thread boasting about how they were said Anon. More and more people are Anoning for the attention rather then to just do something nice. In my opinion Anonymous gifting is suppose to be a way to gift people without expecting anything in return not even a thank you. Just giving someone something because you had an extra of an item they are questing or you like their sig or their post. Its kind of crazy how things have gotten on Gaia. They have to make subforums for anons in holiday forums to attempt to keep the peace. *face palm*

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
I anon'd on my anon mule and got no thank you's.
The items were like 10k each. but it's not really much i guess o.o
Oh well, i give cause i want to.
:3

Saint Sweetheart

I appreciate all my gifts.

If they're sent on anon I'll smile and move on.
If sent off anon I'll usually comment a thanks.

I got a single flower bouquet with a "I just like your avatar" message. Cheap? yeah, but it made me happy. Still have it.

Dedicated Conqueror

I gonna be honest here.
If someone would gift me a crumbled newspaper to christmas without any message or greeting in it, I would be upset. There's NO THOUGHT behind that, at all.

I appreciate gifts. And I say thanks for them.
But I don't appreciate it when people unload their junk on me, I'm not a trash can.

That christmas event, many people gifted things like flowers and crumbled papers without any message. For me, they just gifted stuff to get energy for the event. There was no thought behind that.
Sure, you can sell cheap stuff. Or donate.
But if I want to donate junk to Dumpster Dive, I could also easily collect it in towns myself.

Enduring Seeker

13,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Fortuitous Finder 100
I have gift giving blocked from everyone.

My stance on gift giving (and most holiday festivals) can be best summed up by Dr Sheldon Cooper: youtube.com/watch?v=38x6kWB-xD4

Angelic Nitemare

John Columbo

My stance on gift giving (and most holiday festivals) can be best summed up by Dr Sheldon Cooper: youtube.com/watch?v=38x6kWB-xD4
Sooo...you best relate to a char with low end autism and mommy issues?

I think you missed the point of people giving you a gift. And receiving them, to a certain extent.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Ridley Starsmore
John Columbo

I think you missed the point of people giving you a gift. And receiving them, to a certain extent.

All I know is if I'm not sent something worth at least 1 million that is a shitty gift and those people should be ashamed of themselves. dramallama

Magical Librarian

51,525 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Pfefferminze
I appreciate gifts, no matter how or what, and I always say thank you.
Okay, given, at the christmas event, there where many people gifting away junk with blank messages. It was a bit irking, but not to a point that I'd be mad about it. I got many nice gifts to christmas, so I didn't mind them too much anyway.

I just like to have a little message or picture in it when a Anon gift me, so I can refer to someone/something when I gonna say thanks. 3nodding

I myself anon always with a pen name, so people have 'someone' to refer to when they want to say thanks ^^
Also, I only anon when I have the gold to. I never gift away anything that could disappoint that person (like cheap junk). I gift stuff from someone's wishlist if possible. If there's no WL but I want to gift something, I give away something that would fit that person's avatar
This pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

Angelic Nitemare

Bob Dobbs
Ridley Starsmore
John Columbo

All I know is if I'm not sent something worth at least 1 million that is a shitty gift and those people should be ashamed of themselves. dramallama

...you didn't like the hat I sent? crying gonk
-hides in my shame under le couch-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas