Questionable Rogue

10,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Antiq
kiryuin
Antiq
I have to agree with others that I haven't really had a problem altering my base look in many way due to various mods. I can certainly look taller and more slender with the leg mods, or chubby depending on what items I use. I can look quite masculine or androgynous too especially with male items and mods.
I don't really have much experience with male bases, I must go to tektek and see how androgynous I can make them look biggrin
Any changes in our bases apart from mods would require a massive amount of work, I imagine, but I suppose Gaia could make a new base, and sell items specifically for it. That would be interesting, especially if it was more realistic than chibi.

User ImageUser Image

i cant really see how gaia could make a new base without making it anime-stylized, without it clashing horribly with the rest of the site. they tried to make a more realistic base for tentacl, but in my opinion, it just looks like s**t. then again, i might be biased because i've been on gaia forever, but it just... doesn't look that great. and if that's what happens when we're using the same art team, i'd rather they didn't try to make something more "realistic".

Eww, no, I didn't mean all that realistic, just maybe not quite such big heads, better angled feet, different arm/leg poses, that kind of thing. I love Gaia's avatars even as they are heart

User ImageUser Image

honestly i think what would be ideal is just a rework of the arms and legs to make them less... nasty looking. i HATE the hands on both avatars, and i always have. if they could at least fix THAT-- and just the outdated pixeling over all-- i'd be a lot happier.

Questionable Rogue

10,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Slick Southpaw
NatsuNoYuki
User Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ ♥
====================================== ♥ ~

I like the idea but with the massive abouts of items they need to convert, a new avatar base would be a nightmare.
I mean, look at the animal bases.
Only specific items can fit them and those are very few compared to all the items Gaia has as a whole.
(I guess technically the animal bases are androgynous??)

~ ♥

errr why not just some kind of skin?

drinkytengu showed you can have rad curves on lady base without forcing item changes

elf skins/vamp skins do a LOT of slenderizing straightening out without forcing major item changes

User ImageUser Image

not everyone wants to use the skins, especially since they change the skin color and/or change the face without being able to edit it.

Questionable Shapeshifter

I actually would like to have an option of putting a female head on a male body and vice versa.

Cause the character I'm portraying is not round-jawed or square jawed. The female face shape suits him more.

And i think it will hopefully add a little more diversity and realism. Not all ladies have dainty features as much as not all men are ripped and chiseled. One look at my family and it's just too obvious.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

kiryuin
Slick Southpaw
NatsuNoYuki
User Image
~ ♥

I like the idea but with the massive abouts of items they need to convert, a new avatar base would be a nightmare.
Only specific items can fit them and those are very few compared to all the items Gaia has as a whole.

~ ♥

drinkytengu showed you can have rad curves on lady base without forcing item changes

elf skins/vamp skins do a LOT of slenderizing straightening out without forcing major item changes

User ImageUser Image

not everyone wants to use the skins, especially since they change the skin color and/or change the face without being able to edit it.

I used those as an example of dramatic body changes without the 'oshitmusmakenewitemsforbase' problem

but it would be better than nothing, no?

I could see it existing in basic skin tones for starters.

But then again, I just want super buff skin tone colors so I can have better ease of layering body hair

Questionable Rogue

10,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Slick Southpaw
kiryuin
Slick Southpaw
NatsuNoYuki
User Image
~ ♥

~ ♥

User ImageUser Image

I used those as an example of dramatic body changes without the 'oshitmusmakenewitemsforbase' problem

But then again, I just want super buff skin tone colors so I can have better ease of layering body hair

User ImageUser Image

i think more body diversity as a whole is the biggest problem, of all kinds. i'm hearing a lot of different complaints about plenty of different stuff that boils down to one thing-- the lack of diversity as a whole on this site, both in marketing and in the bases / items themselves.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

kiryuin
Slick Southpaw
kiryuin
Slick Southpaw
NatsuNoYuki
User Image
~ ♥

~ ♥

User ImageUser Image

User ImageUser Image

i think more body diversity as a whole is the biggest problem, of all kinds. i'm hearing a lot of different complaints about plenty of different stuff that boils down to one thing-- the lack of diversity as a whole on this site, both in marketing and in the bases / items themselves.
I AGREE SO HARD I CANT EVEN classified_fu emotion_bigheart

that's cos people are buying the s**t out of girly frilly pretty things and gaia responds by drowning everyone in girly frilly things

Questionable Rogue

10,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Slick Southpaw
kiryuin
Slick Southpaw
kiryuin
Slick Southpaw
NatsuNoYuki
User Image
~ ♥

~ ♥

User ImageUser Image

User ImageUser Image

that's cos people are buying the s**t out of girly frilly pretty things and gaia responds by drowning everyone in girly frilly things

User ImageUser Image

i can't blame the userbase for buying what's offered up-- they clearly put more effort into the feminine items, and that starts the cycle. i just want more diversity in body types, and for gaia to calm the ******** down on their marketing ploys.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

kiryuin
Slick Southpaw
kiryuin
Slick Southpaw
kiryuin

User ImageUser Image

User ImageUser Image

User ImageUser Image

i can't blame the userbase for buying what's offered up-- they clearly put more effort into the feminine items, and that starts the cycle. i just want more diversity in body types, and for gaia to calm the ******** down on their marketing ploys.

it's a catch 22

'masculine-unisex' items aren't as mass produced, and quality is sketchy at best

even with shitty fem items it still sells

can't get diversity without divergence but gotta make that quota so ******** everyone who isn't pale and femme

Gracious Muse

16,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
kiryuin
November Days
I don't think there's a need for a new, more "androgynous" base. We have tons of mods available to create all kinds of different body types, it just take a little creativity. Judging from how often I see male avatars dressed as female and the reverse, it's also not that hard.

Weren't animal bases supposed to be the solution for this "problem"?

User ImageUser Image

it's not that hard if you have a bunch of gold*.
            not everyone wants to use the animal bases, and they're pretty limited in items still, even if it's cheaper. it's basically an even more simplified form of an already-super simplified base, with ears? no thanks.

i would love to use the male base if i didn't have to deal with the arms and legs, just like a lot of people in this thread who agree. mods are expensive, and i'm sure gaia knows it (and doesn't care).

So then what are you looking for??? You want a slimmer base yet you think mods are too expensive in terms of gold but then again you realize how difficult and expensive it would be to make another base.
When the avatars were designed, they weren't meant to be overly complicated. They're very simple and generic as were all the items back in 2003. I'm actually very impressed with the artists who make original items designed for this base. But on that same note, modding has become so normal in designs that I hardly ever see avatars that aren't modded.

As for your claim that mods are too expensive? Actually no they aren't. There are plenty of items that modify the avatar that you don't have to spend a fortune on. Even in the gold shops. Or you could find one of the free grant item lists that give out FREE items. You could also Dumpster Dive every five minutes and get lots of items to sell in the MP. And sometimes you get super lucky with Diving and find items you wanted in the first place.

And I find it hard to believe that you honestly think they're expensive when you're wearing at least 14 bill in modifying items at this very moment.

Questionable Rogue

10,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
November Days
kiryuin
November Days
I don't think there's a need for a new, more "androgynous" base. We have tons of mods available to create all kinds of different body types, it just take a little creativity. Judging from how often I see male avatars dressed as female and the reverse, it's also not that hard.

Weren't animal bases supposed to be the solution for this "problem"?

User ImageUser Image

it's not that hard if you have a bunch of gold*.
            not everyone wants to use the animal bases, and they're pretty limited in items still, even if it's cheaper. it's basically an even more simplified form of an already-super simplified base, with ears? no thanks.

i would love to use the male base if i didn't have to deal with the arms and legs, just like a lot of people in this thread who agree. mods are expensive, and i'm sure gaia knows it (and doesn't care).

So then what are you looking for??? You want a slimmer base yet you think mods are too expensive in terms of gold but then again you realize how difficult and expensive it would be to make another base.
When the avatars were designed, they weren't meant to be overly complicated. They're very simple and generic as were all the items back in 2003. I'm actually very impressed with the artists who make original items designed for this base. But on that same note, modding has become so normal in designs that I hardly ever see avatars that aren't modded.

As for your claim that mods are too expensive? Actually no they aren't. There are plenty of items that modify the avatar that you don't have to spend a fortune on. Even in the gold shops. Or you could find one of the free grant item lists that give out FREE items. You could also Dumpster Dive every five minutes and get lots of items to sell in the MP. And sometimes you get super lucky with Diving and find items you wanted in the first place.

And I find it hard to believe that you honestly think they're expensive when you're wearing at least 14 bill in modifying items at this very moment.

User ImageUser Image

lmao, did you come in here to pick a fight with me? i'm not talking about my own money problems, i'm talking about the majority of gaia's. and just because i'm wearing expensive items doesn't mean i could still very well be broke and still unable to afford mods. and, also, something that should be cleared up: the mods i'm talking about in specific are items like the ones that came out of right to bare arms, and so on, that change the appearance of the NUDE (or, as close as you can get to it) body shape / arm shape / etc. there is no way to, for example, have a (close to) naked base that looks androgynous without using nude-colored mods, which there are very few of.

we've already gone over the pros and cons of cash skin mods (like the vamp skin) in the thread, and most of the "cheaper" mods aren't really worth buying half the time. sometimes there's good stuff, yeah-- but my point kind of stands. but you can chalk that one up to the economy, not necessarily gaia's lack of diversity (although, if they had more DIVERSITY, maybe these items wouldn't be considered so rare and be so expensive, especially for newbies...)

Magic Hobo

Well, if you want to get utterly pedantic about it, technically Gaian avatars are gender neutral. I sure don't see any primary sexual characteristics on any of them...

And the male base has some lovely curves if you get the gray underwear off it. I wouldn't really want to change the bases themselves, tbh. It would be nice to get more items that minimize the chest on female avatars, and more items that give male bases cleavage, though.

Skins with altered body shape are hit and miss with layering, so I don't know if that's quite the way to go. Sandals on the original dark elves are still shudder-inducing... Adjusting the proportions on these already tiny, noodle-like cartoon homunculi has often proven aesthetically disastrous, although they seem to be getting the hang of arm and leg mods a little better... a little.

basically I don't trust anybody on the art team not to ******** it up

Feral Kitty

I wish we were able to make our avatars "bigger" like you said. cry

In a relationship with my viola

Greedy Capitalist

12,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Champion 300
I honestly just want a base where I can pass off my avatar as both genders because switching between genders and gendered items is just the worst. can't deal.

Questionable Rogue

10,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kitty Gnar-Gnar
Well, if you want to get utterly pedantic about it, technically Gaian avatars are gender neutral. I sure don't see any primary sexual characteristics on any of them...

And the male base has some lovely curves if you get the gray underwear off it. I wouldn't really want to change the bases themselves, tbh. It would be nice to get more items that minimize the chest on female avatars, and more items that give male bases cleavage, though.

Skins with altered body shape are hit and miss with layering, so I don't know if that's quite the way to go. Sandals on the original dark elves are still shudder-inducing... Adjusting the proportions on these already tiny, noodle-like cartoon homunculi has often proven aesthetically disastrous, although they seem to be getting the hang of arm and leg mods a little better... a little.

basically I don't trust anybody on the art team not to ******** it up

User ImageUser Image

there's no sexual characteristics, of course, but you can tell that they're gendering the avatars from the items that emphasize female avi's breasts and male avi's muscles. (and i just feel the need to include here that not all men have a p***s, women have a v****a and/or boobs, and so on.)

punishing [luxuria, suburbia, etc) is a great example of this. there are a lot of items like that, that's more subtle (like wingdings) or just make it obvious that the female base, you know, has boobs. which isn't much of a problem, unless you don't want boobs, lmao.

Questionable Rogue

10,850 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
trrtls
        I wish we were able to make our avatars "bigger" like you said. cry

User ImageUser Image

yeah, it would be really damn nice. :/ gotta love that skinnynormativity, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff