Welcome to Gaia! ::

How much AI could you AI if you could AI, aye?

moar 0.2043795620438 20.4% [ 28 ]
7 0.16058394160584 16.1% [ 22 ]
aye? 0.1021897810219 10.2% [ 14 ]
nae? 0.53284671532847 53.3% [ 73 ]
Total Votes:[ 137 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
NatsuNoYuki
User Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ ♥
====================================== ♥ ~

Really?
"Hoarding"?
(Makes me think of when people go 'No, it wasn't rape, it was just non-consensual sex.')
*facepalm*

~ ♥

Comparing hoarding to rape is ******** sickening. Get out.

If used in a derogatory way, yes, but they're comparing the ******** words and the contexts people use them in...
Saying "getting raped is like hoarding items" is wrong, but saying "when people misuse the words it reminds me of when they do the same with the word rape" isn't...

The implication and association is there even if it is subconscious. There is no need for horrific sex crimes to be brought into an MP discussion thread. It's almost like Godwin's Law - it belittles terrible acts to use them to make unimportant points.

What implication and association...? emotion_facepalm You think they meant 'rape is like hoarding'... Please...
They aren't referencing the ******** acts, its the (wrongful) context that is being discussed here.

I honestly can't believe you went there to tell them to 'get out' even when its pretty obvious what was actually being said.

Devoted Heckler

daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
NatsuNoYuki
User Image
~ ♥

Really?
"Hoarding"?
(Makes me think of when people go 'No, it wasn't rape, it was just non-consensual sex.')
*facepalm*

~ ♥

If used in a derogatory way, yes, but they're comparing the ******** words and the contexts people use them in...
Saying "getting raped is like hoarding items" is wrong, but saying "when people misuse the words it reminds me of when they do the same with the word rape" isn't...

The implication and association is there even if it is subconscious. There is no need for horrific sex crimes to be brought into an MP discussion thread. It's almost like Godwin's Law - it belittles terrible acts to use them to make unimportant points.

What implication and association...? emotion_facepalm You think they meant 'rape is like hoarding'... Please...
They aren't referencing the ******** acts, its the (wrongful) context that is being discussed here.

I honestly can't believe you went there to tell them to 'get out' even when its pretty obvious what was actually being said.

I know what they wanted to say but I still think it was gross to use rape as the example.
You can leave too unless you actually want to contribute to the discussion.

Impassioned Misfit

tw: rape

Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
NatsuNoYuki
User Image
~ ♥

Really?
"Hoarding"?
*facepalm*

~ ♥

I wish I could tip your posts about this more than once. I ran into someone a few weeks ago who made the "Gaia is raping us" line, and I couldn't make him understand how enormously shiteous he was being. Both what he and the person who made the comment in this thread did are different facets of the society-wide trend of minimizing the realities and experiences of survivors and downplaying the wretchedness, heinousness, and violence that is the act of rape itself. It propagates rape culture in particularly insidious ways.

The whole point of comparisons, and figures of speech like similes, is to say that two or more things are similar. To make a comparison, two or more things have to be in similar standing and have things in common. Even if the explicit intent of the person who said this was to say that they're supposedly similar regarding word misuse and sugarcoating things... they must realize that they're saying that the two things are on somehow equal ground. They are not. It's not an acceptable comparison to make in any regard. There are so, so many reasons it's unacceptable and not valid in any way. There should definitely be a thing like Godwin's Law for bringing up rape like this.

Back on-topic - I think the person who posted earlier about moderators not being staff meant is that they don't *make* the rules - they just interpret and enforce them. Perhaps they were questioning this mod's interpretation of said rules?
Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
NatsuNoYuki
User Image
~ ♥

Really?
"Hoarding"?
*facepalm*

~ ♥

I know what they wanted to say but I still think it was gross to use rape as the example.

You trying to belittle people by twisting what they were trying to say is whats actually sickening here.

ok i will contribute.
Can you explain to me why this is even relevant right now, hasn't this always been happening, can you link me or something to why this is a bid deal all of a sudden?

Divine Muse

Anyone who has to excuse the example of rape as a comparison to something as arbitrary as a virtual marketplace with pixel items needs to get their priorities straight.

Serious, get help.

There is no possible way to "interpret" that. It would be like comparing a brutal and bloody murder to "My sister borrowed my shirt without permission"

Edit - (Still don't agree with 3rd wave. all I've seen are people standing on the shoulders of the ones arsed to do the work)

Devoted Heckler

daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle

You trying to belittle people by twisting what they were trying to say is whats actually sickening here.

ok i will contribute.
Can you explain to me why this is even relevant right now, hasn't this always been happening, can you link me or something to why this is a bid deal all of a sudden?

I checked your post history and not only are you either a mule or have been recently banned but you admit to hating feminism. I will not discuss rape with someone who opposes equality of the sexes.

If you had read my original post or most of the responses then you would know why this issue needed clarifying.

Superpowered Werewolf

20,340 Points
  • nuGen Staff 25
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Galactic Domination 200
Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle
Fanny Flaps
daddy saddle

ok i will contribute.

I checked your post history and not only are you either a mule or have been recently banned but you admit to hating feminism. I will not discuss rape with someone who opposes equality of the sexes.

If you had read my original post or most of the responses then you would know why this issue needed clarifying.
id hate to brake it to you and feel free to block/report or what ever but it might be good for you to hear opinions out side that hugbox you got going on
I think the definition the mods have given here for "hoarding" and "artificial inflation" are wrong. Hoarding is buying up lots of stuff in order to wait for natural price increases to set in over time and then selling for the new normal, thus ending up with more gold than one had before buying up those items. Artificial inflation, on the other hand, is a *short term* effort to buy up *everything* immediately available for a particular item under a certain price point in order to control the supply of an item and then very quickly turn right around and put them up for sale for much higher in an effort to get people to buy at this higher price suddenly. People would be expected to buy at this price either because they assume that, for whatever reason, the recent rise in price was natural as opposed to the effort of a single person or a conspiracy by a small group (meaning that it is not likely people will start selling for much less again in the forseeable future) or lately, because people believe that inflation is happening so fast that by the time more people put up listings for that item, the value of their gold will have dropped steeply and they will not be able to afford the new, even higher price from new people making new listings for the item.

A note on the other word definitions thing: Comparisons can be made on the basis of 1 or 2 things, sometimes both, but not necessarily ALWAYS both: 1 is that the magnitude of the two things involved is similar, 2 is that the same logical principle is in play in both cases.

So, an example of comparison type 1 would be comparing some hypothetical petty comment made by somebody to be about as mentally damaging as a papercut is physically damaging. Both are hardly damaging at all is what they have in common.

An example of comparison type 2 is comparing an assumption that somebody likes football just because they are male to assuming somebody wants to suppress women just because they are male. The latter case is a far more negative thing to believe about somebody, but in both cases the two beliefs stem from the idea that all people of a particular sex are alike. That latter part, that they are all alike, is what the two cases have in common to compare.

I see people often getting very upset over the second type of comparison, confusing it with the first type of comparison. I find this very frustrating.
Back in the day (05 to 07 when I played the most) AI was a bannable offense. LITTERALLY what he said was AI.

Original Survivor

I think people don't know the meaning of hoarding, and artificial inflation.

Hoarding is buying items at certain price to sell much later at a higher price (when it goes up naturally).

Artificial inflation is buying up all the current items in the MP then re-listing them at a much higher price and even re-buying those items to increase the ABP.

I use to be a Collector, I use to buy 1 of each of a certain item to keep not really thinking to sell in the future. Though because of the inflation I don't collect those items anymore, I just keep what I already have, though because of the kickstarters I have been having to sell off a bunch of stuff. gonk

Undead Enchantress

So the actual crime occurs in the context of the Exchange when people misrepresent the cost of an item or manipulate the cost during some auction? I always thought those PM bids were a bit dubious as well. How can I be sure if there was really someone offering on the seller's item and not the seller pretending that they are receiving a bid? I usually just back out when that happens. Note: this was when I could afford stuff. lol

Sparkly Kitten

53,900 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
How I always understood it, Artificial inflation, that was a banable offense. Was only when people would artificially inflate the average buy price.

Not necessarily when people buy up all the items and list them for higher, without the autobuyprice going up. Which is what is going on more now...

Kawaii Spirit

Lei_Trigar
I think people don't know the meaning of hoarding, and artificial inflation.

Hoarding is buying items at certain price to sell much later at a higher price (when it goes up naturally).

Artificial inflation is buying up all the current items in the MP then re-listing them at a much higher price and even re-buying those items to increase the ABP.

This has been my impression of it as well, I don't think there is anything wrong with hoarding (I've even done it myself) but AI is a different thing especially when it's done by a group of individuals who go on to buy each other's inflated items to increase the ABP. Everyone seems to have a different idea of it so idk what to think anymore.

Devoted Heckler

Erynne
So the actual crime occurs in the context of the Exchange when people misrepresent the cost of an item or manipulate the cost during some auction? I always thought those PM bids were a bit dubious as well. How can I be sure if there was really someone offering on the seller's item and not the seller pretending that they are receiving a bid? I usually just back out when that happens. Note: this was when I could afford stuff. lol

Manipulation could happen with PM bids but most of the time they are genuine. I often make offers via PMs because I have seen their MP listing or been talking to them outside the Exchange. Sometimes I have been asked to post in their thread to confirm my offer.
It really depends on the item - there's not much point in a PM bid on a small/cheap item. Personally, I always make my Project ticket offers via PM because I don't want the world knowing what I own or other sellers knowing my "highest"
You're right to be weary, of course, and bowing out is the most sensible option if you feel something seems "off"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff