Welcome to Gaia! ::

Make the scissors effect readily available?

Yes 0.47462686567164 47.5% [ 318 ]
No 0.46716417910448 46.7% [ 313 ]
Other (Post in thread) 0.058208955223881 5.8% [ 39 ]
Total Votes:[ 670 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 >

Tricky Cat

Penn Almasy
Stubbius
and I earned my stuff by playing booty grab, which any five year old can do.
Any five year old with a decent computer. And decent internet. That isn't restricted by time or use. Etc.

Just wanted to point out, even with a cruddy netbook (Less than a gig of ram) I can do booty-grabban, in class, while paying 90% of my attention to the instructor.

It's not hard. Just tedious and boring.

Glitch

Nut the thing is agape recently already WAS readily available. I got mine for 499 GC which is not hard to come across. I have purchased almost all of my items through doing GC offers so I can't say 3 mil is hard to come by considering anyone can do those if they take a little time out.

If an item is re-released that is similar it will simply rise in price because body mod items are expensive because lots of people want them. It's just how things work.

Unless they release it as a gold shop item it will be expensive. Because as you said gaia is greedy and looking to make money so it would most likely come in the form of some expensive RIG item.

Big Member

Yeah I have an Agape but think that it'd be better if we either had more items/a cheaper item that does the scissors pose. I agree that the price is unfair for such a fun detail. More people should be able to manip their avis. :33

Gracious Conversationalist

14,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Sainte Ciel wasn't expensive from the start. I bought it for 400k, and personally, if the haircut is so popular, almost anyone could have bought it then with a little bit of booty grabbing.
It's not because an item is loved and very expensive, that Gaia should make a mainstream cheap version. It would defeat the purpose. I mean, Gaia can still have a few exclusive items, right?
And 2 million really isn't that much. I had to booty grab my *** off for 6 months and sell half my EI's to buy an item of 16 million gold. If you really want something, just save up and have a little patience. In real life things don't come easy either.

Beloved Friend

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
This rationale does not work in real life, therefore there's no reason it should work on Gaia either.

I want to have a house, I want to be able to get a nice haircut regularly and to be able to eat sushi for dinner once a week. Why can't I have those things at a price point that I can afford? Why are all these GREEDY RICH PEOPLE keeping the house, haircuts, and sushi all for themselves and not letting poor me have any?

That's not how the world works. Things have value (which is set by certain factors) and if you want those things you have to pay their value. On Gaia value is determined by rareness and desireability. Ciel is NOT a rare item- it was available in cash shop and has 3 different generations, and it was available in the MP for a LONG time for 400k-600k. The fact that it has gone up in value over time isn't anyone's fault, it's just that the people who bought Ciel really like it and don't want to sell.

I don't understand this "give it to me because I'm whining about it" mentality.

Beloved Friend

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Slider546
]Somebody is always going to be dissatisfied with the results of anything, it's the story of life, in the end it really falls to the main decision makers at Gaia.

I don't think that it was their intentional for the item to become so exclusive because of the pose, but what matters is that they have created so many items that are compatible with it that they have MADE it exclusive (we have yet to determine if this was intentional, despite the consequences), and they are going to have to make a decision based upon their best interests.

I agree with you, somebody is always going to be unhappy. And I also agree that Gaia will make a decision based on their best interests. But tell me, who would Gaia prefer to piss of more- the people who do not spend real money on this site or the people who DO spend real money on this site?

While it's untrue that you must spend real money to have a lot of a Gaia gold, it's not possible to spend real money on gaia and not be able to afford a 3 million gold item like Ciel. If you can't afford Ciel, most likely you are not a Gaia cash buyer.

So, Gaia best interest would be to cater to the non-cash buyers.... why?

Buggy Mage

Darkchild Angel

I agree with you, somebody is always going to be unhappy. And I also agree that Gaia will make a decision based on their best interests. But tell me, who would Gaia prefer to piss of more- the people who do not spend real money on this site or the people who DO spend real money on this site?

While it's untrue that you must spend real money to have a lot of a Gaia gold, it's not possible to spend real money on gaia and not be able to afford a 3 million gold item like Ciel. If you can't afford Ciel, most likely you are not a Gaia cash buyer.

Saint Ciel Agape isn't worth 2 1/2-3 mil to a lot of people. Its an REI, That sort of price bracket is nearly always reserved for Full EIs.
Besides that, how would anyone know those that didn't purchase Agape with cash don't purchase other things with cash? People should pay for what they like, not something that barely interests them.
My minimum requirement for cash purchases Is that I expect that the item fully caters to my interests. The many people who didn't make that compromise for one or two poses couldn't have predicted that Agape would have essentially been a directly ecouraged necessity to get full use out of completely separate items.

Beloved Friend

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Fire 0ak
Darkchild Angel

Saint Ciel Agape isn't worth 2 1/2-3 mil to a lot of people. Its an REI, That sort of price bracket is nearly always reserved for Full EIs.
Besides that, how would anyone know those that didn't purchase Agape with cash don't purchase other things with cash? People should pay for what they like, not something that barely interests them.
My minimum requirement for cash purchases Is that I expect that the item fully caters to my interests. The many people who didn't make that compromise for one or two poses couldn't have predicted that Agape would have essentially been a directly ecouraged necessity to get full use out of completely separate items.

I haven't followed Agape's market fluctuations because I bought one when it came out and it's become an item I will never sell. I was only using the same price quote I saw other using, forgive me if it's inaccurate.

As for the cash purchases- it doesn't matter what you purchased Agape with. My point is, that those who purchase gaia cash are much less likely to unable to afford that item. The people who NEVER purchase gaia cash are the ones who I think are more likely to think Agape's current value as "unfair."

Maybe you only spend gaia cash on items you like- that's fair. Other people (like me) spend gaia cash when they see an opportunity to make a decent amount of gold they can then use to buy the item they want. Both methods of spending gaiacash are valid.

Lavish Lunatic

Darkchild Angel
This rationale does not work in real life, therefore there's no reason it should work on Gaia either.

I want to have a house, I want to be able to get a nice haircut regularly and to be able to eat sushi for dinner once a week. Why can't I have those things at a price point that I can afford? Why are all these GREEDY RICH PEOPLE keeping the house, haircuts, and sushi all for themselves and not letting poor me have any?

That's not how the world works. Things have value (which is set by certain factors) and if you want those things you have to pay their value. On Gaia value is determined by rareness and desireability. Ciel is NOT a rare item- it was available in cash shop and has 3 different generations, and it was available in the MP for a LONG time for 400k-600k. The fact that it has gone up in value over time isn't anyone's fault, it's just that the people who bought Ciel really like it and don't want to sell.

There's one thing I'd like to point out about your analogy.

In real life, we cannot duplicate those nice houses, haircuts and sushi without labor costs. Lots of labor costs. These actual costs is something that greatly influences price in real life.
But on gaia, this item is made of pixels. An imaginary thing. They don't need to make it from scratch, they can just tell the computer to make more. Not exactly something that would have a lot of cost behind it. So why not saturate the market with them? Marketplace value is hardly of any consequence to them, so..
Why not?

Gaia could make a good profit out of this item! That's the thing I don't get. They could make more money by pressing a damn button. And they don't do it! (in my mind it's just one button, but then again, I'm no programmer)

I think that instead of asking 'Why should they do that?' we should be asking 'Why not?'

Edit: Yes, I'm talking about rereleasing the item with pricetag. It would be the most profitable for gaia. And ultimately, everyone else, because if they saturate the market, the price will drop.

Lavish Lunatic

Lapin Lequesne
Penn Almasy
Stubbius
and I earned my stuff by playing booty grab, which any five year old can do.
Any five year old with a decent computer. And decent internet. That isn't restricted by time or use. Etc.

Just wanted to point out, even with a cruddy netbook (Less than a gig of ram) I can do booty-grabban, in class, while paying 90% of my attention to the instructor.

It's not hard. Just tedious and boring.
Actually, for some people it's darn impossible to play bootygrab because of technical difficulties. Crappy internet, glitched flash. Whatever.
Saying that you can play it, even with your 'cruddy netbook', doesn't mean everyone else can. wink

Buggy Mage

Darkchild Angel

I haven't followed Agape's market fluctuations because I bought one when it came out and it's become an item I will never sell. I was only using the same price quote I saw other using, forgive me if it's inaccurate.

As for the cash purchases- it doesn't matter what you purchased Agape with. My point is, that those who purchase gaia cash are much less likely to unable to afford that item. The people who NEVER purchase gaia cash are the ones who I think are more likely to think Agape's current value as "unfair."

Maybe you only spend gaia cash on items you like- that's fair. Other people (like me) spend gaia cash when they see an opportunity to make a decent amount of gold they can then use to buy the item they want. Both methods of spending gaiacash are valid.

Even to someone who does buy Gaia cash, they would still be paying substancially more for the item in gaia cash. I doubt someone who was unwilling ot spend their gaia cash initially and at the lower price would feel like amassing several times that to get it now. At the end of the day once they had the needed amount of gold I doubt they would spend it on an item they feel should be worth closer to 1 mil for single pose. Just my view on it, another person may decide differently.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Anabaena

Gaia could make a good profit out of this item! That's the thing I don't get. They could make more money by pressing a damn button. And they don't do it! (in my mind it's just one button, but then again, I'm no programmer)

I think that instead of asking 'Why should they do that?' we should be asking 'Why not?'

Just because Gaia CAN do something doesn't mean they should. Cash items all leave the CS eventually because having it be "limited edition" means more people will buy it instead of putting off the purchase. Gaia does reserve the right to rerelease cash items, but they aren't going to rerelease any given item too often because then people will be less likely to see them as wise investments, and they're more likely to put off a purchase. ("it's going to get rereleased again anyway!" wink I'm not saying Gaia should never rerelease item, I myself LOVE rereleases, I'm just explaining why constant rereleases might be a bad business move.

Though again, I do support Gaia rereleasing Ciel every once in a while. But users aren't entitled to have any given item on the site.

Magical Kitten

HoIy Macaroni
Nut the thing is agape recently already WAS readily available. I got mine for 499 GC which is not hard to come across. I have purchased almost all of my items through doing GC offers so I can't say 3 mil is hard to come by considering anyone can do those if they take a little time out.

If an item is re-released that is similar it will simply rise in price because body mod items are expensive because lots of people want them. It's just how things work.

Unless they release it as a gold shop item it will be expensive. Because as you said gaia is greedy and looking to make money so it would most likely come in the form of some expensive RIG item.

like it was pointed out to you before, people do not always have the spare time OR money to do such a thing. Even if doing the free gc offers, (I know I had some extra time a while back) they tend to block you after a while. (by this I just mean they make it harder to earn) Secondly they tend to re-release items all the time whether in gg shops or in the cash shop.
I see nothing wrong with this considering agape's price will only go up or slightly down BECAUSE it has other items people want as well as the scissors.

Beloved Friend

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Anabaena
Darkchild Angel

There's one thing I'd like to point out about your analogy.

In real life, we cannot duplicate those nice houses, haircuts and sushi without labor costs. Lots of labor costs. These actual costs is something that greatly influences price in real life.
But on gaia, this item is made of pixels. An imaginary thing. They don't need to make it from scratch, they can just tell the computer to make more. Not exactly something that would have a lot of cost behind it. So why not saturate the market with them? Marketplace value is hardly of any consequence to them, so..
Why not?

You make a good point. However, the perception of "value" is important too, especially when you're talking about virtual items. I do think that a culture of rampant re-release and non-exclusivity would hurt Gaia's bottom line overall, because it would reinforce the idea that our pixels are meaningless.

What drives consumer culture? Why spend $5,000 on a Chanel bag when you can buy a comparatively high quality leather bag from another brand for $1000? Exclusivity and status. The desire to be special, to have what few other people have, the feeling of owning what others can only dream of- this is what drives people to spend money on non necessity items.

Gaia is a not that special in terms of its community or its avatar system. If you want an online forum to hang out and talk to other people in, there are TONS of free ones. The whole internet is basically one big forum! If you want to play a paper doll game, there are many many dressup games you can play for free. What makes Gaia special is how it merges forums with pixel items that denote status and the way it allows users to rank eachother based our rare items and our net worth. I'm not judging this system because it's how most human societies work (real or virtual). Rank is extremely important to us. To destabilize the status system of Gaia would affect the cash value of all future items.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff