Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mind-boggling Mage

As anyone whose ever spent a large amount of time and money on trading card games, MMO's and the like will tell you, a large part of the enjoyment is derived from collecting things. Things with seemingly no value, sometimes. It might be a special pet, a piece of clothing, a title, an achivement or what have you.

For me, on Gaia, it's event items. I stumbled across the original Spirited items by chance on the marketplace, and I was curious - it did not tell me that I already owned these items.

Seeing as I wore the items frequently back when they were released, this confused me. I raided my alts, my inventory, my house and my storage - and lo and behold, I must have, at some point in time, gotten rid of my Spirited Set. Of course, this was completely unacceptable to me; I immediately opened up the market place and scoured for all "Spirited" items I could find, and bought the ones I did not already have, just so that I would have one of each, for collecting purposes.

The original hat, scarf and boxers are bordering on a billion gold - so I've excluded them, since I won't likely ever wear them when it's not x-mas. It'll torment me and I'll keep checking the marketplace every day to see if they go down. xd

I'll do the same with Halloween items in a minute, and already hate myself for it.

Am I alone in this obsession? What is your approach to event items?

Angelic Cat

23,165 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Snowball Hero 200
i'm crazy cat lady so my collection is cats and it would be complete if gaia stopped releasing cats. it'll take a while just for my gold amount to reach the point of getting pixie kitten.

Unholy Saint

29,690 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Healer 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I got stuck on the: "hoard them all and sell them for profit" phase, but it doesn't work anymore emo so i'm trying to get only the ones i want to use for myself and a couple of mules. I usually go for all of them unless cash gets involved, i leave the cash shop updates aside.

Smitten Businessman

I collect scarves. Of course I can't afford all of them anymore since many of them are single poses within expensive multi-pose items, but at this point I have most of the ones I really like.

Some of them I never use, but that's not important. Having scarves is important.

Mega Noob

I used to collect Hammi Hats. But then I got drunk and bought 50+ off the marketplace, and people started accusing me of AI'ing them...so I stopped collecting.

I should start up again, but with something simple, like charms. I like them, they're pretty, and I'll prob never use them. rofl
I used to hoard the event items, the three sets for each when that was possible. If they were in packages I'd leave a set alone and open a set. But after a while, it took too much time to collect multiple sets so I ended up collecting only *some* of a set.

Hardcore Fashionista

19,150 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
I used to hoard alot of things... But in this new economy it's all ******** worthless, so I stopped. Now I just get the monthly letters and that's about it.

Shade

16,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Devin 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
i used to be like that with the halloween items, since its my favourite gaia holiday

recently i've felt the need to collect sets of items
currently, im cursing my lack of money so i can't get object of affection D:
and i freaking love these object head items

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Waltzkrieg
Some of them I never use, but that's not important. Having scarves is important.
This is my exact sentiment regarding snakes. I have enough to probably start up a virtual snake zoo

MUST HAVE ALL THE SNAKES.

Wheezing Member

Well.
My funds are extremely limited.

Else I'd like to have one of every item.
Ever.

but I just recently hit my first billion mark and that quest is going to take awhile to say the least. :v

For now I'll settle with buying every gold shop item ever, excluding Loyalty's Bazaar.
cause s**t girl, dayum.
too rich for my blood.
talk2hand

Tipsy Lunatic

Awww, this makes me sad because I've just realized I never recollected all of the Spirited set.

I only have the boxers and, for some reason, the socks.
The Spirited set was the first event set I ever acquired. I used to sport those gloves constantly.

Hopeless Completionist

Heh, I'm a terrible collector. XP
Over the years, sometimes it's been the events (rather the event item sets) that've re-sparked my interest in Gaia beyond the habitual Daily Chance checks. I push through Trick-or-Treating, Caroling, and Egg Hunting frantically every year to collect as much as I can. Sometimes, it's perfectly possible to get them all, sometimes there's outrageous numbers (more for Easter than the typically locked-in #s for Halloween/Christmas), and sometimes GC gets in the way, but I do what I can, especially if the set looks nice. Then, I "must" have it. rolleyes

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
I wasn't around in '03 and most of '04 so by the time I joined, those event items were way too expensive for me to afford. Still are. I'll probably never get those, but since I joined I tried my best to keep up with the event freebies. The only recent ones I haven't gotten are the ones that were made impossible to get because they put them in Switch'em.

Other collections I've completed though:

- Gold shop Items
- Birthstone Items (Not Verge)
- GoFusion Items (I made/bought them all so far)

The GoFusion one will probably disintegrate after a while though. They'll probably put too much in for me to keep up or will make free charms too scarce to keep up.

I used to want all the items on the site. That too became impossible. I'm no god-tier vendor. lol

Feline Bookworm

I'd love to start collecting all of the March items, but they're way too expensive for me to realistically collect.
I tried hoarding Christmas items one year but then I forgot to sell them all nearer to Christmas
time so I still have them all sitting in my invent, doing nothing. ninja

Fairy

~A ripple on the water...

I do keep all my event items, and freebies too, but if I can't get all the items form the set on my own I just leave it be.
It does frustrate me when I can't get the complete sets, but it was never really a problem until last year. Switchem will forever be the bane of my existence. For-e-ver.
I have been tempted to use my mule to set up a wishlist of missing set items and sets from before I was a member so I could eventually buy them, but I know better.

...A tinkling on the wind~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces