Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magic Hobo

That's a pretty *goddamn* good incentive.

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Fanny Flaps
*Slow clap*

Well done Gaia, well done.

Let's piss off the people who have already bought GC, annoy those who can't, and ******** up the economy in the process! Is George Osborne moonlighting as your new CFO?
Shocking naivete from the staff, is all your economic planning based on wishful thinking, finger-crossing, and faith in the kindness of man? Why don't you just put an 'honesty box' outside your HQ? rofl
I know I'm a borderline sociopath but one of my first thoughts was "How can I abuse the crap out of this?" I doubt I'm the only one. Perhaps that was your intention? If so, is the short term increase in profit worth the long term destruction of the site? Here's a hint: it's not.
This site is either run by the greedy and incompetent or it's about to go down the pan to swim with all the other turds who have pulled this s**t before closing. Neither of those options is promising.

Thanks for the spicy reply! Certainly an interesting post to be sure.

As for our expectations for this incentive, it wasn't to have it abused or exploited but to offer a way for accounts who haven't purchased Gaia cash before an incentive to do so. There is nothing wrong with trying to entice new spenders into buying Gaia cash - you may not like the way we did it, and certainly that is something that we are happy to hear your opinions about, but this isn't something that makes us greedy or incompetent. Nor is it indicative of the site going down or long-term destruction.

With regards to our community, we believe that Gaia has a great community and that most of you don't engage in abusive behaviors. Expecting the best of people isn't shocking but expecting the worst of them is demeaning.

Anyway, thanks for the message - have a great weekend! 3nodding
Sisky

Kawaii Bunny

That's interesting, although it won't make me spend money on Gaia. Mostly because I like spending my money on other stuff, and that doesn't leave anything over for Gaia.

If I got some cash, I'd probably choose the 500k. I also like that it's such a small amount that someone has to spend to get the reward, instead of requiring people to spend a fortune. I probably wouldn't have liked the idea of someone needing to spend like $50 or something to get the rewards, when I'd have been annoyed (which makes no sense because this doesn't affect me), but this seems more like Gaia showing that they appreciate the smaller spenders and well as the ones who put hundreds into the site.

This makes me happy smile

Enigmatic Foe

36,100 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
What the ******** ********... its like gaia doesnt care about inflation anymore.

Caitian's Significant Otter

Fashionable Streaker

19,525 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Excitable Emoter 25
Jak Bauer
chaos butterfly
sequentverdure
Kiarra-Chan
RandomKate
Soo... First time GC. Per account? Per IP? You know I'm sensing this being abused...
& easily too...
1. Make new account,
2. But GCash,
3. Get Reward,
4. Trade to Main/Main Mule
5. Abandon the new account
6. Repeat.

Wouldn't that be funneling and result in a ban?

Not a mod/admin, but I don't think so. The funneling rule isn't about having mules, or trading between them, per se.

It has to do with using mules illegitimately to circumvent limitations like the cap on earnings in zOMG, for instance. If you reach the limit on one account, then change to a mule and earn more than the cap you're circumventing that cap, so risking being banned. You can however earn half the cap on your main, go to a mule, earn the other half, and not have circumvented the limitation. No problem. You can trade the 25k to your main without doing anything wrong.

In this case Siskataya has said that if you got the PM you can get the bonus. It's not illegitimately earned, since you paid the $5.00 cash for it. Since it's not considered as illegitimate to use mules to complete the offer, it can't be seen as funnelling illegitimate gold to trade it to your main/other accounts. 3nodding

Hi there,

Yup, Chaos Butterfly has it exactly.

Thanks for the confirmation! (And thanks again Chaos Butterfly - very helpful emotion_bigheart )

Devoted Heckler

siskataya
Fanny Flaps
*Slow clap*

Let's piss off the people who have already bought GC, annoy those who can't, and ******** up the economy in the process! Is George Osborne moonlighting as your new CFO?
Shocking naivete from the staff, is all your economic planning based on wishful thinking, finger-crossing, and faith in the kindness of man? Why don't you just put an 'honesty box' outside your HQ? rofl
I know I'm a borderline sociopath but one of my first thoughts was "How can I abuse the crap out of this?" I doubt I'm the only one. Perhaps that was your intention? If so, is the short term increase in profit worth the long term destruction of the site? Here's a hint: it's not.
This site is either run by the greedy and incompetent or it's about to go down the pan to swim with all the other turds who have pulled this s**t before closing. Neither of those options is promising.

As for our expectations for this incentive, it wasn't to have it abused or exploited but to offer a way for accounts who haven't purchased Gaia cash before an incentive to do so. There is nothing wrong with trying to entice new spenders into buying Gaia cash - you may not like the way we did it, and certainly that is something that we are happy to hear your opinions about, but this isn't something that makes us greedy or incompetent. Nor is it indicative of the site going down or long-term destruction.

With regards to our community, we believe that Gaia has a great community and that most of you don't engage in abusive behaviors. Expecting the best of people isn't shocking but expecting the worst of them is demeaning.

Sisky

If you truly expected the best from people then the site wouldn't need ToS or guidelines. Plenty of features have been abused in the past (botting, booty grabbing, EBRs, all those cravats from offers) and one would have hoped you had learned from past mistakes. One of the major features of this site is making gold: it's how we dress our avatars and it drives the entire GC economy. With that in mind, what on earth made you think people wouldn't try to squeeze as much gold as possible out of this feature? There are people admitting in this very thread that they're doing just that and the response has been "oh well..."
I really don't care how you reward people for buying GC, (I actually think it's not a bad idea in principle) as long as it does not negatively impact everybody else. Old RIGs or exclusive items would've been just fine - they'd barely make a dent in the economy. 500k, however, is a sizable amount of gold and you must consider it so to be offering it as an incentive and setting gold caps on other features below that.
If Gaia didn't anticipate the inflation/abuse then people were incompetent. If Gaia did anticipate it and doesn't care then it's greed. If Gaia genuinely needs the money in spite of what happens to the economy then you're in dire trouble.

Man-Hungry Nerd

59,500 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
siskataya
Hello!

Thanks for the thread. So sorry about any confusion this may have caused you, especially since you purchased Gaia cash before. I can see why that would be a bit disarming! Not to worry, it seems the message was accidentally sent to a LOT of people instead of just the first-time purchasers. D'oh!

Not to worry though, the issue has been fixed and if you DID get the offer and are so inclined to use it, you can get the Teal Bonus Box! And if you aren't inclined to use the offer, then that is totally cool too.

Hope this helps biggrin
Sisky

Does this mean main accounts that got the offer, but have bought cash before, can still buy $5 and get the box??

Vicious Visionary

15,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I'm glad they're making it available to everyone who got the message. I just don't have the money for Cash. crying

Feral Pumpkin

21,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Partygoer 500
Castiel Lover
siskataya
Hello!

Thanks for the thread. So sorry about any confusion this may have caused you, especially since you purchased Gaia cash before. I can see why that would be a bit disarming! Not to worry, it seems the message was accidentally sent to a LOT of people instead of just the first-time purchasers. D'oh!

Not to worry though, the issue has been fixed and if you DID get the offer and are so inclined to use it, you can get the Teal Bonus Box! And if you aren't inclined to use the offer, then that is totally cool too.

Hope this helps biggrin
Sisky

Does this mean main accounts that got the offer, but have bought cash before, can still buy $5 and get the box??

Yes. Here Siskataya clarifies this question for a user:

siskataya
Quote:

Can we go on a mule that's a GC virgin and buy cash there to take advantage of the bonus, even though we've already purchased GC on our main? Or would that be considered abuse? I have bought GC before on some of my mules, out of convenience, with no problem--but this offer didn't exist before.

I want to buy a Hoarfrost and take advantage of this, but I also do not want to get banned. >_>

Thanks for asking! We won't be banning anyone for using the offer if the offer was sent to a mule, as long as they are a legitimate account owner. That was offered to you, even if on another account, so are free to claim it if you so desire.

Source: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-discussion/a-special-bonus-for-first-time-gaia-cash-buyers/t.87087797_32/#32

Vicious Visionary

15,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Would it count if you got the email, but just bought a cash card and activated it?

A Glitch

siskataya
Fanny Flaps
*Slow clap*

Sisky

my main concern is that by now no one at GAIA HQ has the notion that ACCOUNTS aren't the same as USERS!!

Angelic Cat

23,165 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Snowball Hero 200
youkoonna
Would it count if you got the email, but just bought a cash card and activated it?

i'm tempted to test this on a mule. I'll think about it.

Vicious Visionary

15,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sweet Angel Mary
youkoonna

I would be too. xd

I pray that it's possible. I can't use a credit card and the phone option doesn't support my carrier.

I'll run my butt over to Rite Aid right now if it does work. rofl

Angelic Cat

23,165 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Snowball Hero 200
youkoonna
Sweet Angel Mary
youkoonna

I would be too. xd

I pray that it's possible. I can't use a credit card and the phone option doesn't support my carrier.

you try it and see if it works please? Then i'll know whether to spend cash on cards or not.

Vicious Visionary

15,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sweet Angel Mary
youkoonna
Sweet Angel Mary
youkoonna

I would be too. xd

you try it and see if it works please? Then i'll know whether to spend cash on cards or not.

As soon as I get the chance to do it, I'll let you know. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces