Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feisty Investigator

28,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cosmic Healer 200
I dont know why someone brought this back >>

Demonic Lover

It wouldn't work, Gaia would have to give a definitive number and would have a compromise with the community to keep it around/updated/mantained. It's no secret zOMG! probably never even made back what it costed to be built, mantained and hosted, so why would they want that?

Sorry for those who liked the game but that would bring so many problems I hope they don't consider it, if anything I hope they would stop working on dumb costly projects, just update our core features ffs.

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Hm, like a Kickstarter? Didn't they do one for the Frontier Skies board game? (A real one, I mean, not a gold sink)

I guess it all depends on how much it would actually cost.

Feisty Investigator

28,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cosmic Healer 200
The Iron Magus
Hm, like a Kickstarter? Didn't they do one for the Frontier Skies board game? (A real one, I mean, not a gold sink)

Yes, exactly like that. I am almost certain that it would work.

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Madam Harlot
The Iron Magus

Yes, exactly like that. I am almost certain that it would work.

Honestly, I could actually see it working if they gave really good incentives for donations. Like you could do zOMG-specific things (special rings, maybe?), or just like... donate x amount and receive a CI, donate y amount and receive an EI, etc. Even more so if the items were exclusive to the kickstarter... then you'd get people donating just to get the items, as well as those who are actually donating to save the game.

Again, though, it all comes down to how much time and money this fix would actually cost... something we don't know, and Gaia probably doesn't even know.

Skylex Nevaeh's Husband

Shirtless Demon

17,050 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
You can't just throw money at something and expect that to fix the problem. That is not the point or why zOMG shut down in the first place.

The problem is that ZOMG is using deprecated code and it is better to scrap the entire thing than to continue fixing it. The more you try to fix a lot of old code, it can possibly open new exploits. It's like putting tape on something that tape cannot fix. The majority of users here have absolutely no understanding of how programming works.

It'd be better to start from scratch and write a brand new engine with a new code base like python or C/C++. Flash is incredibly insecure.

Engineers are NOT miracle workers and they are not magicians. It gives them headaches having to dissect old code and try to fix it. Their time is better spent writing brand new stuff instead of fixing something that is years and years old. Sometimes things are too old to fix, especially something large like ZOMG.

Tory Salazar's Partner

Anxious Prophet

A kickstarter or gofundme would be nice, but the problem would be to know how to estimate how much money would be needed to fulfill this goal.

There's farming bots that would need to be thwarted along with the security problem. Not only that, there would always be the case of "One fixed bug could be replaced with ten more" and so on.

Since there's no one around that knows how to code the game, it could take a long time for someone to figure out how to fix it. If they were to try and hire someone that was part of the team, who would it be and would they have time? Most of the original devs are working elsewhere now.

They said that they had someone from the original team checked it, but that's not enough to know whether or not there's someone out there that can spend more time than a few days of checking.

Dragon Storyteller

52,425 Points
  • Heart of a Dragon 500
  • Embrace of Destiny 500
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
Hmm, I have some knowledge in this area, I'll try to offer my perspective.

First off, the security issue is major: it has to be taken down, no question about it. The security of accounts is top priority. I know you're not here to argue that, I just have to state that. zOMG has to go down, and the fix is not simple.

(on topic) It may simply not be cost-effective. For instance, if you've ever had a car be "totaled" in a car wreck, but the car could actually still run, you might understand the potential problem with this. My first vehicle cost more to fix than it was worth after I was rear-ended.. That's what I understand about zOMG: it costs more to fix than it is worth. So that will probably halt it

Taking worth out of the equation, then, let's say we'd have to look at the different components and see what would have to be done. Is it a complete scrap, or can some things be utilized. You need to know what needs to be done and how much manpower is needed on that. That would probably summarize some of the first steps if this project was to be undertaken.

I can explain more if it's wanted.

Feisty Investigator

28,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cosmic Healer 200
`Hydro

First off, the security issue is major: it has to be taken down, no question about it. The security of accounts is top priority. I know you're not here to argue that, I just have to state that. zOMG has to go down, and the fix is not simple.

(on topic) It may simply not be cost-effective. For instance, if you've ever had a car be "totaled" in a car wreck, but the car could actually still run, you might understand the potential problem with this. My first vehicle cost more to fix than it was worth after I was rear-ended.. That's what I understand about zOMG: it costs more to fix than it is worth. So that will probably halt it

Taking worth out of the equation, then, let's say we'd have to look at the different components and see what would have to be done. Is it a complete scrap, or can some things be utilized. You need to know what needs to be done and how much manpower is needed on that. That would probably summarize some of the first steps if this project was to be undertaken.

I understand, and appreciate that Gaia cares enough to not compromise us. If Zomg is completely shot, perhaps a kickstar to fund a New MMO or Zomg 2.0 would work.

Eternal Hellraiser

Its likely not coming back..
      It doesnt sound like any of the devs are still here and while its possible one could be contracted or something it may take much too long for a single person to go back and find the fix.
      From what I understand its difficult to go back and look at old code to understand what things are linked and what the issue may be. Especially if your not the person who originally wrote it.
      I'm no coder tho, so IDK.

Usually this stuffs better started from the ground up rather than having people go back and attempt to patch the issue.
      Bc even if the first issues fixed theres bound to be some loop holes that would be discovered or exploited.
      We players aren't always an honest bunch when it comes to exploitable bugs. lol

Dragon Storyteller

52,425 Points
  • Heart of a Dragon 500
  • Embrace of Destiny 500
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
Madam Harlot
`Hydro

I understand, and appreciate that Gaia cares enough to not compromise us. If Zomg is completely shot, perhaps a kickstar to fund a New MMO or Zomg 2.0 would work.

Perhaps. After all, the graphics and the scripts for what the NPCs say should be recycle-able. However, most likely a team would be needed to rework the whole game coding, since as I've gathered from other posts most of the original developers are either assigned to other projects or no longer with Gaia Interactive. Plus, not just rebuilding but a team dedicated to maintaining it needs to be in the plan this time. That means continuous funding, or we'll have security issues all over again.

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
zOMG 2.0 would be interesting and might just be able to get funding.

if it offered tiers with new rings or gaia exclusive items might be surprised at the money they could raise.

but I do not think we currently have anyone who is motivated and capable of doing that for gaia.

Questing Alchemist

39,425 Points
  • Exciting Experiment 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Master Converter 500
An interesting idea.

If (and that's a big "if" wink zOMG! comes back, it will have to be--as others have noted--built from the ground up. The kind of resources that will take, I couldn't even begin to imagine.

Thing is, I had been wondering about something... Towns 2. When we had interactive events in it like that whole Fluff event, I thought it would be cool to integrate zOMG! into this. When zOMG! first went down and certain zOMG! areas appeared in Towns 2, I seriously thought that this might be the direction it was going. Sadly, that turns out not to be the case.

Losing zOMG! was a blow, but I'm waiting to see what happens when the other shoe drops. I'm waiting to see what next week's follow-up announcement (about the rings, the loot, the recipes, etc.) will say.
Honestly Gaia could put out anything and some people would shell out cash for it regardless. Why bother working hard on something when you can just recolor an item and people will give you $10+ of their real money for it?

fixing zomg is WAY harder than changing hue in photoshop

Durem Lover

Oh snap, i just made my status about a zomg 2.0 O:
I'd totally donate to the cause if they decided to go that route.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff