Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tricky Cat

Eren Jaegers
Lapine Lequesne

Ew. Don't talk to me.

You can blacklist me if you don't want me responding to your posts, rather than derailing the thread with... I dont even know what behavior this is. High school immaturity?

Anyways, ontopic;
While yeah the artwork should be cited, the original artists didn't sign it either. And I dont believe gaia is profiting off of this, they might be able to sneak off with "fair usage."

The latter part of the survey with images of sticks, twigs, healthies and fatties (Where Im drawing the line, I'll leave it be for you guys to b***h about) theyre unlabeled with no connotation unless you saw the previous survey.

alolan's Husbando

Partying Sweetheart

Lapine Lequesne
no im being grumpy and not being able to focus on actually being mature.

You're an artist. I can see your signature whenever I go to the forum. If someone were to take your work, plaster it on a site and not give you any credit; I can tell you right now, you would be a bit pissed off. Already from your personality, I can tell you're headstrong, blinded. While you may say, 'No, I'd actually be flattered' or 'Well, I would watermark my art or sign it', the truth of the matter is; your attitude says otherwise. There is no mark or artist's signature in the picture you have right now. Now while I would never do this, I could easily take that; put it on a website to promote my own and bam; you wouldn't get anything from it, even if you did work for it. Sure, someone can go somewhere like saucenao or whatever the hell you posted, google images I believe, and get a source-- but it doesn't always come up. And it's not even that. Do you really think people are going to go out of their way and find the artist? Nah. They aren't. They don't care about that. They care more about what the website is marketing. A cute girl on the front page? Whoa! Awesome, maybe I can find more cute girls if I go through this website.

You can say this and that, but the fact of the matter is-- it's respect. An artist shouldn't HAVE to sign their work. People should know to credit them. It's common sense, really and I'm pretty sure there's a child's nursery rhyme that points to it. Artists put their stuff up to showcase their work and marvel in the idea that some people like what they do. They don't put it up there so some wank a** sites like Gaiaonline dot com can come around, nab it and then use it to promote their shitty survey that creeps everyone out.

As for the last comment? Again, you lack respect. I'm not even going to waste my time debating about it with you because I already know how this will end. There's the reaction you wanted. I'm no longer grumpy.

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Lapine Lequesne

Copy Image.
Imgur.com
Ctrl+V
Copy URL from IMGUR
Put into google.

WOW
You learned how to find a source!

Anyone whos interested in finding a source would be able to do this.
Also, Shame on the original artists for not signing their work.

With proper copyright, you don't have to sign it. Considering a good portion of those artists are professional, they most likely have their work copyrighted either through the company they work for or through a personal copyright submission to the US copyright office if they are in the US. Having an official copyright can allow the artist to sue any unapproved use of their image for up to $250,000 per case of infringement. My knowledge of this is a few years old since it's been a while since I've met with a trademark/copyright lawyer, but it's probably really similar.

You can also print/copy the work, put it in an envelope and physically mail it to yourself. Keeping it unopened and postmarked, it can be used as a stand-in for copyright evidence for any case of infringement that happened after the postmark date. Outside the envelope, I believe they don't have to sign their artwork either.

So no. Don't you blame the artists with your a**-backward logic, whether it was supposed to be funny or not.

Darling Agent

23,225 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
I'm really interested in this new site, especially because I'd like to see what type of avatar (and items) they are going to pull out. I wouldn't mind stay in two avatar based sites at the same time *^*

Time-traveling Senshi

Lapine Lequesne
You can blacklist me if you don't want me responding to your posts, rather than derailing the thread with... I dont even know what behavior this is. High school immaturity?

Anyways, ontopic;
While yeah the artwork should be cited, the original artists didn't sign it either. And I dont believe gaia is profiting off of this, they might be able to sneak off with "fair usage."

The latter part of the survey with images of sticks, twigs, healthies and fatties (Where Im drawing the line, I'll leave it be for you guys to b***h about) theyre unlabeled with no connotation unless you saw the previous survey.

Ah the debate over whether or not the original work was protected under the full don't you even think about distributing this copyright or the share this all you want but don't you dare think about editing this or making money on it at all Creative Commons Copyright. Creative Commons still says, for example, the photo I took and put on DA is totally mine but hey if you want to share it with people go ahead so long as you don't claim it as yours, try to edit the heck out of it, or make money off it. You can allow people to edit the artwork in a Creative Commons copyright but that's only for personal use if it's not a stock image, which for unpaid images lets you only use it if you're not making money off of it like for a poster being made for your club sponsored activity at school. After that if you're making money off of it then you better pay for the stock images.

So really one could claim that since Gaia isn't making money off the use of those illustrations that Creative Commons free to distribute non derivative works copyright comes into play. However, I'd be pretty right if I said most of those illustrations have the "Do not distribute or use my artwork in any way" DA stamp on them. I see a lot of hand drawn things on DA that ask you not to distribute the artwork. Not everyone is hip to the Creative Commons copyright and for very good reasons.

Invisible Mage

13,450 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
The damage is already done. Using the already scorned survey without changing it (other then the name changes) is probably not going to appease those who had a serious issue with the previous imagery.

I had a bigger issue with the catwomen images honestly, but mainly because they should have had a none of the above since none of those styles I would choose to represent myself with. In the slightest.

They should have scrapped the whole thing and redone it.

Dangerous Gaian

I made a survey once that contained images from the web (googled), just run-of-the-mill images of samples of lottery tickets.

Even I credited the sources in my survey lol
Just a direct link to the source url, in small print underneath the image, will do. It's just good ethics and common courtesy to do so.

I'm pretty sure whoever made that survey is a survey noob who doesn't know the basics of making a good online survey.

Green Gaian

Oh boy, time to check my email!

*Checks email, no survey*

Why don't I ever get these surveys, Gaia? I'm 26. emotion_donotwant

Undead Enchantress

X Gaian?

Extreme Gaian
X-rated Gaian
Banned Gaian

Precious Seeker

Wow. That is amazingly lazy of Gaia. Can't be bothered to find new photos, can't be bothered to individually credit the artwork...why even bother doing the survey at all?

Elegant Dollie's Partner

Chic Bear

As an artist that gives credit to fellow artists, graphic designers and photographers, this disappoints me. Greatly. What are they doing?

Devoted Husband

I'm starting to wonder if the management of this site is unilaterally prenatally oxygen deprived

Bibliophile

23,850 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Hero 100
I'm 22, but apparently not an X-Gaian.

Two significant portions of making a real apology are listening to the person you've upset, and resolving to change your behaviour. I didn't find their initial apology to be acceptable in the first place, but now it's clear they also haven't done either of these things. They've still stolen artwork. And it doesn't matter that they've cropped the pictures, they're the same ones, so people are still looking at them and remembering the labels.

This is incredibly lazy, unprofessional and in bad taste. I wouldn't be surprised if the person who created the first survey was the one tasked with making it more 'acceptable'. Well, they failed, and so much for making sure things are screened more stringently before they go out.

Cannibal Horsey's Significant Otter

Eloquent Explorer

Quote:
This survey contained highly inappropriate content that should never have gone out to the Gaian audience, or arguably any audience, at all. I would like to apologize to the community for this clear lack in judgement. The person responsible for creating the survey will be dealt with appropriately. The survey was nothing less than inappropriate, disrespectful and demeaning.

Okay so they said that in the apology and then promptly turn around a handful of days later and post it again with the same images with the labels removed stare

Seriously? Did you not expect people are going to realise it's the exact same images?

The fact that it was reposted indicates you didn't get your userbase at all. For goodness sake you couldn't even be bothered to get different pictures emotion_facepalm

So disappointed.

Rock_hard_yo
I hope X-Gaians are like the X-Men.
I can't even tell you how hard I laughed at this.

@topic: I don't even.. emotion_facepalm
Apparently when they said that the original survey's creator would be dealt with appropriately, what they meant was that the person would be given a quick lesson in cropping text out of images and then furnished with a list of Gaian email addresses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff