Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learned Bookworm

4,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
The Sword and Scale

A note! The times I can get on Gaia are erratic, and sometimes I cannot be on for most of a day. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be patient if it takes me a while to reply. I'm not ignoring any of you! I just have a rather weird schedule and busy RL.

Also please don't delete your posts if you decide to leave the thread. It makes us all look silly.

WE HAVE AN OOC THREAD http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/barton-ooc/the-sword-and-scale-ooc/t.94272201/

Setting

In a back alley in the heart of Durem, there is a door. It's a rather unassuming edifice. Most of the shoppers that wander down the alley don't give it a second glance. It has no bright displays, in fact it has no displays of any sort. Not even a sign out front. The only symbol to give a clue to it's purpose is a sigil, burned into the wood of the door. A scale, like that carried by Themis from the Greek Myths, bisected by a sword. There are no hours, if you need, truly need to get in, then the door will open.

Inside is an entirely different world. The sounds from the busy shopping district vanish. This is a place apart, cut off from the world outside except for that one door, a portal to another world. Guests are first greeted by the usual assortment of arcane components, incenses, salves, oils and physical components for greater magics. Behind the counter, accessible only by a trick case with a release on the back wall, is a beaded curtain, and the Back Room. The only people who know what truly happens back there are those who have been invited in, and the staff. And they aren't telling.

Chances are, if you happen by of an evening, you'll be greeted by the Owner herself, a short woman, with vaugely japanese features, right down to the jet-black hair with dyed electric blue tips. Even less is known about this woman than the shoppe she runs. She is warm, welcoming, usually always ready with a smile and a greeting, but rarely does she speak of her past.

Guidelines

I dislike creating -rules- unless absolutely necessary. However, I feel it useful to point out a few things, and let people know how I intend to run this thread. I'm a pretty fair person, but I don't deal well with OOC drama or people causing trouble, so if it happens I make you gone from my thread.

1) This is Gaia. It is a world of powerful people, all skilled in their chosen arts. So, while combat is allowed in this thread....think carefully about whether it's worth it or not.

2) In addition to #1, The Owner has chosen to set up shop here. In a place she knows can be dangerous. With powerful people. Do you really want to provoke someone like that? (I will be happy, on PM request, to share her character details. While this woman is new to Gaia, she has a rich background. She has earned every bit of power she has.)

3) Standard cautions against god-modding and meta-gaming. God modding is having an invincible character or taking another players actions for them. Meta gaming is using OOC knowledge IC. The point is for everyone to have fun. That sort of stuff makes it not-fun for anyone except you.

4) All Gaia Online rules, regulations and community standards apply. Keep it PG-13 at MOST. Any adult roleplay, references, or action of any kind will result in reports to admins, ejection from the thread, and complete voiding of all RP that lead up to and resulted from those actions. I do not like voiding RP for any reason. Please do not make me enforce this.

Employment
We are always hiring for all positions. There is plenty of interaction that can happen even if the population of the thread is mostly or completely "staff". Experiment, blow yourself or someone else up, have a spell go awry. Be creative. If you would like to apply, talk to The Owner or these people:
(Watch this space for list. Empty because thread just started.)

Final Message
I am here to have fun. I am starting this thread because I think it'll be awesome. I want all of you to have fun as well. I don't have a set story line. I have a premise, and some hopes, but for me RP is about building stories with other people, not telling the Legend of My Character. So...if you have ideas, bring 'em. I'm up for more or less anything.

Learned Bookworm

4,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
The Sword and Scale is now Open!

Gwyn stood behind the counter, taking a deep breath and smiling to herself. Here it was....finally, after all the searching and struggle and hardship, she had it. Her own shoppe. She ran her hands over the stone countertop above the glass display cases, inhaled the plain incense she had set burning, and settled onto the stool beside her.

For a moment, her smile wavers as she thinks back, back to her old home, the last shoppe she helped run, and all that had happened there. So many freinds, so many losses, so many lessons learned. This time, she would do better. This time, she would protect this place, no matter what, because it was hers.

She hummed softly to herself, a couple bars of an old tune her mother had taught her, and pulled a book from the drawer at her knee, opening it and picking up at the bookmark, muttering
"Now if only there were some way to conjure up a customer or two.....of the right sort, of course."

High-functioning Bibliophile

9,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Timid 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A woman, five feet tall in height, had passed by this shop twice now. The first time she had taken note of the new business, seeming to take in the location and type of shop it was, the second time she debated going inside. She brushed her firey red hair off of her shoulders and clutched a small box in her arms. She didn't have the box the first time she passed by. With a nod to herself, the petite woman now approached the door to enter.

This felt a bit familiar. She had never been to this shop before, but she worked at a magic shop herself. What kind of place would this be? Every step, every movement held an unnatural level of grace to it. The woman would seem quite off for that alone, but her attire was also a bit unusual as well. A dark green and brown Rennaisaunce inspired dress was tailored to her athletic yet petite form. All she needed was a cloak to complete the look.

The woman looked around. It seemed quiet. Finally she spoke. "Hello?"

Learned Bookworm

4,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Gwyn jerks awake with a grunt, blushing slightly as she sees she'd fallen asleep over a book. Again.

"Hello there!" She calls out, waving to get the womans attention, taking her in at a glance, one eyebrow raising slightly.

hm. Something out of Mother's era, looks like. This should be interesting.....

Her eyes lock on the small box, and she smiles, seeming to recognize it's purpose, if not that particular box. Her intense cerulean eyes flick back up to the newcomers face as she holds the smile, motioning to the room around her.

"Take a look around. I'm Gwyn, if you've any questions let me know." she shifted on her stool a bit, her dark knee-length coat rustling and the heels of her boots clunking on the stool. Her hair was unbound, flowing down her shoulders and half over her face. She continued watching the woman for a few moments, seeing if she were going to ask a question before going back to her book.

9,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Timid 100

The woman turned to face the woman who greeted her and gave a kind smile in return. "It is nice to meet you Ms. Gwyn. I am Iris Blackheart. I wanted to welcome you. I noticed your shop a bit earlier and I got you this." Iris said now walking over to give the woman the box. The box itself held little magical importance. It was simply spelled to hold more items than it should. Rather it was the contents of the box that would be the main gift.

Inside the box were vials of various potions, all labeled, and of various hues. There were healing potions, cleaning potions, and even a few for protection. One potion was labeled as a Paralyzing potion with another next to it as the reversal. There seemed to be a wide variety within the box. Iris smiled. "Hopefully you won't need them all but I figured it would be better to be safe than sorry." She said with a warmer smile. This Iris was an odd one.

Learned Bookworm

4,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Gwyn looks through the box, her eyebrows shooting upwards, and then a low whistle of appreciation "Ohhhhh, these are PERFECT! I'm crap at creating potions, never had the patience for it.....it's one of my greatest failings...." then she blinks a couple times, and looks back up at Iris

"Just 'Gwyn', hun. That Ms. stuff makes me feel like I'm back in boot. And since I'm now in your debt-don't argue! I know it was mean to be a gift, but this is simply too much for me to accept without a return," she slips her hand under the counter, pulling out a black and blue silk bag, opening it and setting a neat stack of tarot cards on the table "I insist you let me read for you. The Winding Path can reveal much to a person, without the somtimes....uncomfortable context that a spread that looks to the past can provide."

Her warm smile, her informal demeanor, and her seemingly unguarded reactions all seem to be urging this stranger to trust her. It's as if Gwyn exudes an aura of trustworthiness, a silent message that whispers to the mind ~I am safe. I will not harm you. I am a friend.~ But there are no words. It's simply a vauge feeling that one might feel as they examined Gwyn closely, or drew near to her.

9,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Timid 100

Iris noticed that Ms....no wait just Gwyn, was a welcoming person. She seemed like the sort of person who could make friends easilywherever she went. It also helped to give the shop a comfortable aatmosphere as well.

Iris smiled at Gwyn's acceptance of the gift. "I am glad you like it." She said happily. She was about to protest the need to give a gift back or being in any debt at all, but the shop owner was insistant. So Iris held her tongue on that matter and found her eyes widening with the appearance of the Tarot deck. "It has been a long time since someone had a reading for me." She admitted to Gwyn. Iris had done readings for others but having someone else do a reading for her was an enjoyable experience. "I accept."

Learned Bookworm

4,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Gwyn smiles, gesturing to a seat that may or may not have been there previously. She begins shuffling the deck, laying out seven cards. one alone which she lays face up, and then six more in pairs, one above the other, to the right of the lone card. She studies the lone card for a moment, then speaks, her rich voice just at the top of the alto range, mellow, but intense at the same time. It is immediately apparent that she is using an unconventional deck, one with more technological references and artwork than the typical mystic tarot.

"This is the Twisting Paths spread...this first card is the gateway on your journey. It is The Brazen Head....Justice and truth are your freinds. You must consider all aspects of your undertaking fairly, and truly, lieing not even to yourself....."

She turns the lower of the leftmost pair of cards, making a thoughtful sound. "The first false path on your journey, that could lead to ruin....The Eight of Engines. Moving forward quickly. Striking in the moment. No regard for caution....This is shaping up to be a very interesting spread. Let us see what...."

she turns the card directly above

"The first true choice on your path is...." a grunt of surprise "The Technomancer. Odd, to see two trumps like this....but not unheard of.....let's see.....Bring all your skills to bear. Be single-minded and determined, but make sure to pause to ensure you are doing ALL that you can."

it's clear from her voice that she has stopped trying to tie things together, ceased trying to interperet. Now she is simply reading the cards, letting their meanings sink into her mind, to be understood and joined once she is finished. She turns the lower card in the next pair.

"The second false choice....Captain of Submersibles....A fair dealing. Broad mind and even consideration for all sides."
The card directly above.
"The next step to your destiny....four of submersibles.....Deal with the mundane aspects of life. Do not actively seek adventure, go about your life as normal and see what happens."

The lower card of the final pair
"The last false path....six of submersibles. Nostalgia. Feeling loyalty to the past. A fond rememberance of places visited before."
And the final face down card, the top of the rightmost pair from the lone card.

"And now....your destination....fascinating...." She seems to have come back to herself. "The Ten of Leviathans. Belonging to a group. Coming into your own and inheriting the benefits of forging strong bonds with freinds and family."

She sits for a moment, silently, staring at the spread.

"This is....a very encouraging spread. You must reflect fairly upon what has brought you to this point. Consider all aspects for themselves, without filters. But do not be too hasty to move forward to "strike while the iron is hot". Do not abandon your regard for caution and contemplation. Rather, take a moment to focus all of your skill and abilities with single-minded purpose to make all you can of your life, even your mundane chores. do not get lost in your nostalgia and give past associations that have proven themselves false and let your overall fairness convince you to give them a second chance. Heed these words, and you will arrive in a new place, a place where you truly belong to a group, where you come into your own and reap the benefits of the strong bonds you have managed to forge even in places where you felt unwelcome."

Gwyn straightens and stretches, taking a deep breath as the atmosphere of the shop had seemed to close in while she was working, something huge and unknowable turning it's focus on the witch and her customer....and perhaps more. She tilts her head, looking at Iris, that same warm and knowing smile on her lips.
"If I didn't know better, I'd say you were leaving something hun. But...that's really none of my buisness. The cards hold meaning for you and you alone. I simply give voice to the symbols, and I hope I've cleared a few things up for you."

9,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Timid 100

Iris listened to the reading. It was a great treat indeed and seeing such a unique spread with unique cards was something she was hoping to take notes on. Not like she could use such a spread with Dragonsong yet, but it could give clues to the future.

A few thoughts came to mind with the reading especially about not striking without careful planning. She had learned that lesson many times in her past. But one instance played itself in her mind.

In Iris's mind's eye she saw the reflection of herself in a very twisted way. On one side there was everything she had embraced of herself, the other was everything she tried to push away and hide. However a moment of unity between both sides fixed the issue. She had rushed in with no thought while the other half of her had planned everything out. It was obvious who had been stronger in that fight between both sides.

Iris shook her head of the thoughts floating to her mind. This reading was very helpful, and like most accurate readings, not everything had to fit and give answers just this moment either. Iris gave the woman a smile. "Perhaps I will. Be leaving somewhere or someone. However I am not sure what it is just yet. It sounds as if I will notice it soon enough however. Once I do I will heed the advice given." She said before quickly reaching to her belt pouch. "May I write down the spread and make notes?"

Learned Bookworm

4,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Gwyn smiles and nods, murmuring "Glad I could help" before making a motion for Iris to go ahead.

"Feel free. It's called the Twisting Path. If you have questions, let me know. I take it you're a reader as well then?"

Gwyn looks the woman over again, her interest piqued. Her clothes said ancient, but her words said modern....and she was a tarot reader, without a touch of romany on her. have to handle this one carefully... she thought, resting her chin in her right hand and the elbow of that arm on her left hand as her left forearm came across her torso. A very thoughtful pose.

Liberal Wolf

8,625 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Catherine Moore
The Huntress

Appearance: [x]
Clothing: [x]
Weapon: [x]

After a bit of a scuffle, the huntress had permission to come and go in Durem as she pleased. She was a disciple of Artemis, and she would be damned if a flock of angels would stop her from completing her rounds in and out of the city.

Angels, however, were hard-headed and incredibly righteous creatures, who liked to forget that their god was not the only god, and that they were not the only being with god-given duties to perform. They needed to be reminded of that, and that reminder had come in the form of Catherine loosing Holy Fire arrows into the flock. But after that, the angels knew the woman wasn't toying with them, and had let her through.

Catherine walked the deserted city streets. It seemed that those who had no means to escape the blockade had holed themselves up in their homes or shops. Poor creatures, the huntress thought sadly. But Catherine could not help these people. It was not her place to interfere. My place is in my forests and parks, doing Artemis's work.

Catherine was taking a short cut through an alley in Durem to get to the park, but she stopped short when she noticed a sigil on an otherwise unremarkable door. The Scales of Themis, she concluded, recognizing the sigil from her many readings about the Titans and the Titanomachy.

Without a second thought, Catherine opened the door and stepped inside. What she saw, however, she hadn't expected. The shop was filled with all manners of herbs, candles, incense, and other ingredients for spell casting. Catherine saw bottles of holy water and packages of bat wings, stacks of tarot decks, and so many other things she didn't recognize. The huntress couldn't help but be fascinated by these items, even a little amused by them. Witches and their craft, she thought with a smile.

Learned Bookworm

4,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Gwyn looked up as the door opened again, looking mildly surprised for a split second, before school her expression into her professional smile. An expression that looked warm and genuine enough. As she looked the woman over, a single eyebrow shot up, and she slipped off her stool, vaulting the counter instead of going through the bother of opening it, walking up to the woman with her hands clasped behind her.

"Hail, lass. Enter in peace, and be welcome. I am Gwyn, th' Owner. What brings ye here?"

it's clear from her tone and language she's picked up that this newcomer is something different, but she hasn't quite figured out what. Her words do indeed speak welcome, but a cautious one, as if something in the woman's manner has reminded her of things she as tangled with in the past. As Gwyn draws near to the stranger, the other woman would likely feel a sense of static intensity around the diminutive shopkeeper. Like the feel of storm about to break, and if she had a sensitive nose, she would also smell that damp air smell that comes just before the rains.
User Image

Within the shop, shadows began to twist together in a round shape. A teenage boy flew from the tear in space, landing on his stomach with his arms outstretched. "Ow...." he muttered. One minute he was pestering the knight in dented armor and Sinsayer, and the next he was on a roller coaster trip through the shadows.

He felt drained, completely and utterly drained. Whatever boost Nat had given him long since wore out. "Someone get the number of that train that kidnapped me?" he asked a bit dazed. Where did he land this time?

Learned Bookworm

4,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Gwyn blinks, smiling to the woman she still didn't know and murmuring "Sorry, one moment..." and then moving to where the shadows had twisted and dropped a youngster on his arse in the middle of her store. She gives him another of those kind smiles, feeling as is someone had pinned her eyebrow in the raised position.

"I suppose this would have happened sooner or later. Every shoppe I work in attracts oddness. Welcome, lad, though i do hope ye'll use the door from now on. Th' Wards woulda bit ya if I weren' right here." her lilt becoming more evident. She still has that crackling intensity about her, like an approaching thunderstorm, but her body language and face is full of wry amusement. She offers the teen a hand.

"Not sure about trains, but ye've landed yerself in Th' Sword an' Scale, My shoppe, and home. Enter in peace and be welcome. Got a name, lad? I'm Gwyn."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff