Hello Gaians! Today I will be sharing my simple recipe for delicious sugar cookies. These make great gifts, a delicious snack for parties, or an easily packable lunchtime treat! This recipe makes approximately 35 cookies, depending on thickness and size of your cutter.
What you need:
3 Cups of Flour (Plus more for rolling)
1 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Cup Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
1 Large Egg
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Electric Mixer or Spoon
Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C)
* Wash your hands and work area before starting.
1. Mix your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking soda) in bowl, then add wet ingredients (butter, egg, vanilla). For the butter, pre-cut it into smaller chunks to make it easier to mix.
2. Mix wet and dry ingredients with spoon or electric mixer until it forms a dough. Then use hands in place of the spoon or mixer to finish mixing the ingredients. Try to get the flour off the sides of the bowl and knead it into the dough.
3. Once well mixed clear a space to roll out your dough. Place flour down to prevent the dough from sticking to your work area, you can also use it on your hands and rolling pin to help prevent it from sticking to them!
4. Place a small amount of dough on your work area.
5. Roll out the dough to your desired thickness. These cookies will rise and spread a little bit so you do not need to make them too thick. Thicker cookies will take longer to cook.
6. Cut the cookies! You can use cookie cutters for fun shapes but if you don't have any cookie cutters you can use the open end of a cup to make round cookies.
7. Place cookies about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet to allow for spreading.
8. Cook 8-11 minutes or until edges are turning golden brown.