Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Dabbler

16,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Josie 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50
So the Airshark is for the Facebook game only?

And that picture at the bottom of the interview is scary... Doesn't seem so Gaia-like. Is that a submissive vampire or something?

Shy Knight

Dapper Prophet

10,075 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
groovy and weird.
Awesome!!!

7,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I love Mario and Luigi.
AWESOME AND ODD

Friendly Fatcat

Achievements? On my Gaia? neutral

4,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
Can't wait for the new achievements. biggrin
congratulations!!! And AWSOME!
That Mario and Luigi pic is hilarious. rofl

Needs moar Bowser tho xp

Sahdomi's Princess

Fistpumping Pumpkin

31,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hairspray Heaven 500
  • Conventioneer 300
JUST WHAT I NEED, ANOTHER SITE WITH ACHIEVEMENTS.

FFFFFFFFFUU--

5,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
User ImageTo seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair.

AWESOME!

To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power.User Image
[NPC] Cindy Donovinh
In Depth: Dare to Achieve!

Last month, a crew of Gaia's developers made a frenzied push to finish the first round of one of its most ambitious projects of the year. Let's hand it over to them for an in-depth look:

If you've played any video games recently, you're probably familiar with achievements. They're the little trophies that pop up when you complete some weird objective, like driving off the world's highest cliff or strangling a thousand butterflies or whatever.

We've been kicking around ideas for a Gaia achievement system for years now, but we couldn't seem to muster the manpower to do it right-- with something as big and all-encompassing as achievements, you can't do it halfway. This year, under the leadership of darknrgy, we finally put a team together to tackle it.

User Image

The first round of beta achievements went out in Gaia Labs a few weeks ago. A lot of them were small achievements for new users-- more on that in a minute-- but we've got plenty of more ambitious achievements in the works. Even if you've been on the site for years, we want to give you huge, tough challenges to work toward, like making 50,000 posts or creating a hugely popular thread. Of course, there'll be tons of crazy hidden achievements, too-- you never know when you'll get rewarded for something completely random, like posting in Chatterbox with no pants.

Achievements make for great bragging rights for veterans, so why the early focus on new users? A lot of new people who join Gaia tend to get confused and drop out before they figure out all the cool stuff to do. Rather than presenting a linear "newbie quest," which we tried in the past (it never really worked), achievements give people a set of goals that they can pursue in whatever order they want. If they're interested in the forums, they'll be rewarded for posting; if they want to check out the arenas, they'll earn points for rating art. Hopefully, this will lead to less confusion among new users, which is better for everyone-- nothing is sadder (and more annoying) than a bewildered newb.

We're hoping that Achievements will make the site more fun for all Gaians, whether they're old or new or anywhere between. If you have any awesome suggestions, please drop by the feedback thread.

O.G. Sex Symbol

5,200 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Market Browser 100
i've been on gaia for about 2 years and some months those that mean i'm a veteran?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff