Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alright, let's have a discussion. It's about the end of FMA:BH for all who watched it. Spoilers ahead.

As most of us know, at the end of FMA:BH, Edward sacrificed his ability to use alchemy to bring Alphone from the other side of the portal.
So the subject of this discussion is: What happened to Alphone's ability use Alchemy. Post your own theorys, using examples from the manga/anime, comment what you think happened, wether or not Alphone lost his powers too, or kept them. I'ma be in and out of this, adding my own theory into this, as other add theirs, and try to disprove them. Just to keep everyone interested. Beware, this could start a flame war, but lets not let it get that far, k? Go for it.
If Alphonse had not kept his alchemic ability, then why did he go to Xing to study Alchehestry?
Violet-Eyed Envy
If Alphonse had not kept his alchemic ability, then why did he go to Xing to study Alchehestry?

Good point, but Ed also went in the other direction to learn new things about alchemy, and possibly other subjects, despite not having any alchemy

Rainbow Champion

6,350 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Champion 300
There's no reason for Al not to still have his alchemy. Yeah, I think he still has it
mintiswirl
There's no reason for Al not to still have his alchemy. Yeah, I think he still has it

Well, when Ed went to get Al's body back. One portal was his portal of truth, his way back inside Truth's domain. Then there was a second one. Ed destroyed his way out of Truth's space, and Truth dissapeared, and a second portal was shown. Was this Al's portal of truth, or simply Truth, letting them both out. If the latter, then Al doesn't have alchemy either, because earlier Ed mentioned they were linked when they did the transmutation, likely because of the blood added when they transmuted their mother. This means, they could have the same portal of truth. But they might each have different portals. During the series, the number of portals seemed to change from when Ed and Al respectively left and entered the space where Truth was located (and at times, Truth was not there, or appeared to Alphonse, as Ed's judge. (hence at the end, why his arm dissapeared, when Ed wasn't even there) but it's questionable wether or not he can do that with anyone's because even though Roy's the only other one, nobody else made mention seeing Truth being anyone else's judge. So I concluded, Ed and Al share a Portal of Truth, and sacrificed both of theirs to get Al back.
Can Ed still use alchemy through transmutation circles or is his ability to do any of the sort gone?

18,825 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Team Edward 100
Violet-Eyed Envy

So true. xd
Random State Alchemist
Can Ed still use alchemy through transmutation circles or is his ability to do any of the sort gone?

Trutb and Al seem to imply he completely lost the ability

4,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I'm pretty sure Al can still use alchemy, he probably chooses not to use it. Look what all happened because of alchemy.
pretty sure Alphonse still has his alchemy
He should still be able to. I assume they left through Al's portal (much in the same way Ed had left earlier, when he used the philosophers stone to leave Gluttony's portal).

As far as Al learning Alchehestry, I dont believe he would still need his portal to do that, though thats just conjecture. Alchemists use the energy from techtonic plates, whereas the people from Xing use the "Dragon's Pulse", and the Chi of the land. Im not sure about it, but those should be two different things.

And yeah, Ed sacrificed HIS door. Al's was not his to sacrifice in the first place.
Alphonse sacrificed his soul to get Ed's arm and leg back.
Ed sacrificed his ability to do alchemy, as truth said, to get Ed back, and truth found THAT to be equivalent exchange.

Alphonse kept his ability to do Alchemy.

not much confusion there really...
The loving face
Alphonse sacrificed his soul to get Ed's arm and leg back.
Ed sacrificed his ability to do alchemy, as truth said, to get Ed back, and truth found THAT to be equivalent exchange.

Alphonse kept his ability to do Alchemy.

not much confusion there really...

I'm trying to peice together wether or not the portal of truth Ed sacrificed, was used for both of their alchemy. Because they seemed to be linked in the transmutaton, thus they would share the same portal. Ontop of how Ed's judge was speaking to Alphone, I assume thier portals of truth were in the same place, and thus they used the same one to go back and forth into the dimension per say. Also at the end, Alphonse isn't seen using Alchemy, nor was it proven that he ever really learned Alkahestry.
how the plot ending works:
Al: Sacrifices himself to get Ed's arm back
Ed: Sacrifices his gate to get Al's body and soul back
Al: Can still perform Alchemy and alkehestry.
Ed: Cannot, but doesn't keep him from studying.
(I only read volume 27 a couple times a week razz )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff