Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

1,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
User Image Though the new anime is pretty much a carbon copy of the manga, I still prefer the manga. You should read it.
Faol_Cailin
Supper Troll
Faol_Cailin
Supper Troll
Faol_Cailin
Uhh...Brotherhood, I think. It comes on Toonami every Sunday morning. If I can get up at 7:30 in the morning, then you know it's a good show.

both brotherhood and the 2003 version are good but i think that brotherhood is better. it goes with the manga and the ending makes more sense.
Are you saying that there's two versions of the same show? Or did I just misunderstand you? I'd love to stick around for your reply, but I gotta go.

yes, there two versions to the same show, after a few episodes the go in different directions. even some of the homunculi are different.
Hmm. It seems kinda weird that they'd make two versions of it. I'd always heard that Brotherhood was better, but I had simply assumed that it was kinda like Naruto and Naruto:Shippuden; that, like Shippuden, Brotherhood was a continuation of the other FMA. How big of a difference is there between the two,exactly?

they're pretty different man. the reason that they are so different is that the 03 version came out while the manga was still pretty new so it went it's own way after a while. because of this they eventually made brotherhood which is exactly like the manga.
The Tour guide
Hello, I have honestly never seen an anime in my life but I got this cute outfit and would like to learn about the show. Like plot, characters ect. I might end up getting into it. biggrin

Basically, both anime series were created based on the manga by Hiromu Arakawa, but when the first anime was produced (around 2003) the story hadn't even reached its halfway point. So the director of that series asked to take the story in a different direction. When the manga was nearing its conclusion, the same studio approached Ms Arakawa and asked if they could do it over, this time using her storyline. Hence, two different series that start in the same place.

Fullmetal is a series where Alchemy is a functioning science, even though it looks like magic. It follows scientific laws, and one of the main principles is Equivalent Exchange-- that whatever is gained must be equal to what is given/used to make it happen. There are also a few restrictions that all alchemists are expected to obey, the biggest of which is to not attempt to make a person (i.e., either to create a body for someone who is dead, or to attach someone's soul to another body). Yet every so often, some alchemist is driven by so much sorrow and grief that they try... which is how our heroes, Ed and Al Elric come to try to bring back their mother when they are still children. But each brother has something significant taken from him, and what they gain doesn't live longer than a few seconds (in the manga and Brotherhood, the second anime, titled such to distinguish it from the 2003 version).

That's about as straightforward as I can get. Ed and Al both decide to do whatever they must to "replace what is lost", yet as they are both highly principled types, they learn that there are things they won't contemplate. But they are surrounded by forces beyond their knowledge as well, some of whom try to help, and others who want to use the brothers. The anime touches on how war, prejudice, death and grief affect people, about what makes a family, and even what makes a hero. Ed and Al never intended to become heroes... but when they realize everything they cherish could be ruined, they step up.

Personally, I love it.

Questionable Borg

o Miles Edgeworth o
User Image Though the new anime is pretty much a carbon copy of the manga, I still prefer the manga. You should read it.
I just added the complete series onto my amazon cart to get when I have a little money, (along with the Death Note box set) smile

Dapper Genius

1,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Mayor Gravity
o Miles Edgeworth o
I just added the complete series onto my amazon cart to get when I have a little money, (along with the Death Note box set) smile

User Image Death Note was very good for quite a while. But it started getting worse and worse after a certain person whom I shan't name died.

Questionable Borg

o Miles Edgeworth o
Mayor Gravity
o Miles Edgeworth o

User Image Death Note was very good for quite a while. But it started getting worse and worse after a certain person whom I shan't name died.
I read the first issue, but never got the rest, I've been meaning to pick it back up.
Mayor Gravity
o Miles Edgeworth o
Mayor Gravity
o Miles Edgeworth o

I read the first issue, but never got the rest, I've been meaning to pick it back up.

First issue of Fullmetal, or first issue of Death Note? Just curious.

Questionable Borg

Drummer_kidder
Mayor Gravity
o Miles Edgeworth o
Mayor Gravity
o Miles Edgeworth o

Death Note. I've never read the FMA manga

4,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Market Browser 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Faol_Cailin
Supper Troll
Faol_Cailin
I've recently started watching FMA a few weeks ago, and I LOVE IT!!! It's pretty much the best anime I've seen yet. Which hurts me to say, since I'm also a huge Naruto fan. Anyway, the show focuses on two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric, who lost parts of--or in Al's case, their whole--bodies while attempting a transmutation spell in hopes of reviving their dead mother. The spell fails and after some recovery time(Ed had his arm and leg replaced,while Al's soul had been sealed into a suit of armour)they both head out in search of the philosophers stone so they can get their bodies back. Keep in mind that this plot overview has been grossly over-simplified and that it would probably be better to just go the Fullmetal Alchemist wiki. Which I would highly recommend. wink

are you watching ti=he 2003 version or brotherhood?
Uhh...Brotherhood, I think. It comes on Toonami every Sunday morning. If I can get up at 7:30 in the morning, then you know it's a good show.

Brotherhoods really good. I've seen the first Fullmetal all the way thru now I'm almost done with Brotherhood.
Mayor Gravity
Drummer_kidder
Mayor Gravity
o Miles Edgeworth o
Mayor Gravity
o Miles Edgeworth o

You really ought to read the manga of Fullmetal... it's glorious. Or, in the words of Edward Elric himself, "it's a wild ride".

Questionable Borg

Drummer_kidder
Mayor Gravity
Drummer_kidder
Mayor Gravity
o Miles Edgeworth o

You really ought to read the manga of Fullmetal... it's glorious. Or, in the words of Edward Elric himself, "it's a wild ride".
Yeah, it's on my amazon cart to either get from Amazon or ebay, whichever is cheaper when I have a little extra money.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff